Wiki Posts
Search

Poll: OS V-Spec or Novarossi P5X

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 11:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Poll: OS V-Spec or Novarossi P5X

I wanted to run a poll between two engines that I'm interested in purchasing. Please state opinions on the engine that you have experience with. Tuneability, reliability, break in procedure, and power information are things that I'm interested in. A little background about myself:
I own Losi 8T RTR.
I just got back intro RC car (purchase 8T two months ago)
I just entered my first race and looking to enter many more (got third in the beginner class)
I have basic nitro knowledge (I know how to tune the engine but not work with internals)

with this in mind which engine do u recommend?
1.Hot Mod O.S. Max-21 VZ-B V-Spec-T (P) Off-Road Competition Buggy Engine
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9107

2.Hot Mod Novarossi RX21P5XS 5 port Off-Road Competition Buggy Engine (Standard Plug)
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/2988

thanks Mike for pointing it out, I don't need modded motors because the gain will be minimal. I really want reliability, tuneability, and a little more power than my stock RTR motor.

Last edited by r6ryder; 08-20-2007 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

personally I would say you really dont need a modded motor. The stock versions of both of those are plenty. and alot cheaper. If it was only between those 2 only I would take the Vspec. I have had both of them and liked the OS better. However I currently run a RB C6bb and that is by far my favorite motor for power and mileage.
another great thing about RB is they tune very well and have a website where you can talk to Rody himself and he will answer any question you may have about RB products. Well I will be quiet on RB now..LOL I know you wanted to know between those 2 and between those I would take the Vspec

Last edited by Mike Elam; 08-20-2007 at 12:08 AM. Reason: added a little more
Old 08-20-2007, 01:25 AM
Tech Regular

p5x is one of rick brake`s personal favorites and quoting rick one of the best all round motors you can get,look him up RB MODS(i am over v-specs)
Old 08-20-2007, 04:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Agreed on the modd'ed part. You don't need a modd'ed motor.

Personally, I've found that the Italian mills can be finicky to tune. Seems you have to be messing with them every time you fire it up. Not my idea of fun. Also once you mod a motor it can be even more finicky. So unless you are really comfortable and able to diagnose overly lean conditions, when and when not to remove/add a head shim, use a different plug, if the issues is a clutch issue vs. a tuning issue, I'd stay away from a modd'ed motor for now.

The OS is my choice. easy to tune, holds a tune and typically less expensive than most of the italian mills.

At my local track you find very few Novarossi's and the like....
Old 08-20-2007, 05:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

V-Spec for me! Before I have a Novarossi 421B in my truggs, Its a pain in the ass. Power is ok but always shutting down.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i have a p5xs....it is very easy to tune, it provides great fuel milage (10-11 min) and has plent of power......

all the os mills i have seen dont last too long....they are although easy to tune.....
Old 08-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr. losi
i have a p5xs....it is very easy to tune, it provides great fuel milage (10-11 min) and has plent of power......

all the os mills i have seen dont last too long....they are although easy to tune.....

don't last long??? that's funny.

If I were buying a motor for a truggy I'd spend my money in the new OS .28. That's a bad ass mill and less money than either of those mod .21's that would be better suited in a buggy. Truggies like the torque of the big bore mills. Gives them silly punch over higher revving .21's My .02's
Old 08-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Don't last long!! i'm confused or just lucky I have ran vspecs and nova p5x for the last 2 years
I have 2 ebmods vspec's that have over 8 gal and still running strong
1 I have that has over 10 gal on its starting to fade but I can't complain at all about them
I have ran a stock p5x and a hot mods px5 the px5 is most likely the best all around mill plenty of power great fuel milage and a smooth power band.
tough call I don't know which one I would buy at the moment.
maybe since winter indoors is comming soon the Hot mods P5X might be better fro a smaller track.
both are awsome mills
Old 08-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have run a P5x in my Hyper 8.25 for at least 5 gallons now. It does everything I want it to do. No one out 'motors' me anywhere on the track. My P5x has 8~10 gallons on it, and I've done nothing to it. I prolly need to replace the con rod and bearings to give her a little more life, but I can't honestly say that she actually 'needs' it. Plenty of pinch, silky smooth power delivery, and holds a tune indefinitely.

I'd recommend a P5x to anyone.

I don't have any personal experience with the V-spec, so I won't comment on it.

Cheers
Old 08-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i have owned them both, and i still have the P5X and not the Vspec....the P5X is just as fast and tunes alot easier and last way longer....

Jason
Old 08-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

Stay with Novarossi, they are the most reliable, and from what I've seen will get several more gallons than any O.S. You probably don't need it modded either, the P5 should get around 7-7.5 mins in a truggy, which is pleanty for a 20 or 30 min main.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rdeppen
don't last long??? that's funny.

If I were buying a motor for a truggy I'd spend my money in the new OS .28. That's a bad ass mill and less money than either of those mod .21's that would be better suited in a buggy. Truggies like the torque of the big bore mills. Gives them silly punch over higher revving .21's My .02's

well of the os vgs i have seen this year, none have gone past 2 gal. the v-spec i saw went 2.5 gal....no pinch no compresion......
Old 08-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr. losi
well of the os vgs i have seen this year, none have gone past 2 gal. the v-spec i saw went 2.5 gal....no pinch no compresion......
Interesting, we're getting about 4ish gallons out of our V-Specs easily...

Then with the sleeve pinch we're seeing another 2-3ish gallons....

I'd also like to point out that when someone says they can get say 8 gallons out of an RB, you have to consider, just because its still running after 7 or 8 gallons, how much power is it still really making?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bushyar15
Interesting, we're getting about 4ish gallons out of our V-Specs easily...
thats nothing to write home to mom about....most of the guys in my local area running RB's and Nova's have been getting 6-7 before a pinch and then another 3-4 more....most every Vspec ive seen have not made it over 3 gallons and the VG's now thats a joke 1-2 and very seldom do they make 2....
Old 08-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

7+ on standard vspecs here.....7 exactly on my speed with 0 problems. thing still feels new. os got it together with the speed engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.