Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Buggy Tires

What are the best buggy tires for hard clay?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ask the fast guys at the track you're racing what they are using and buy the same.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

can be proline inside jobs, losi tapers, panther switches, werks stubs....just depends on the track. have seen people still use bow ties and crimefighters there too. i would ask fast peopler at the track and or test yourself
Old 08-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Tech Initiate

mmm, let me rephrase this I think I was too vague. I am trying to figure out about soft med and hard tires and the general conditions they are most suited to.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Your going to need to be more specific still, unless you just want a general outline of how different tire compounds will respond on a hard clay track (of which there are many different types). Basically the more grip the track has the harder a tire compound you can use, since the tire will wear very quickly on a high traction surface, don't expect tread life to be any longer because its a harder rubber. If its a really low grip track (usually a bit dusty) then your going to want to go with something softer so you can regain that grip. Temperature can have a small effect on offroad tires as well, if its really cold (like near freezing) you will probably have to go with a softer tire. If the clay is really really smooth a tire with a tiny pin like a holeshot or Werks Stub will work good, but if its rutted more/coarse usually a tire with a taller pin is better, like a crime fighter or Werks Lugz. Best thing to do is to ask the fast guys what they are using. I have found that on pretty much any really hard track the Werks Lugz are the tire to use, they hook up good on a wide variety of hard pack, plus they have really good wear characteristics.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I find Bow Ties to have massive amounts of traction. Each to their own but im very impressed with the Soft Compound Bow Ties.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by WheelNut
Your going to need to be more specific still, unless you just want a general outline of how different tire compounds will respond on a hard clay track (of which there are many different types). Basically the more grip the track has the harder a tire compound you can use, since the tire will wear very quickly on a high traction surface, don't expect tread life to be any longer because its a harder rubber. If its a really low grip track (usually a bit dusty) then your going to want to go with something softer so you can regain that grip. Temperature can have a small effect on offroad tires as well, if its really cold (like near freezing) you will probably have to go with a softer tire. If the clay is really really smooth a tire with a tiny pin like a holeshot or Werks Stub will work good, but if its rutted more/coarse usually a tire with a taller pin is better, like a crime fighter or Werks Lugz. Best thing to do is to ask the fast guys what they are using. I have found that on pretty much any really hard track the Werks Lugz are the tire to use, they hook up good on a wide variety of hard pack, plus they have really good wear characteristics.
Yes this is more in line with what I was asking, thank you!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Werks lugs in Medium compound....
Old 08-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

i ran panters at my track because they are more rounded then the prolines, which alows the car to take luts better while turning.