Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Buggy Selection based on driving style, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Cain are you curently running the Matrix? If I were you I would wait for the RC8, its only a month away. It maybe be the best of both worlds for driving style, probably more like the 8 then a mugen/xray ect. Also set up is so crucial...it may not be your car design. IMO spending time with other experienced drivers and watching theyre cars.
Watch that neo buggy invitiational....look how planted all those cars are. Smolnicks car looked great. So did many others.
Definatly try an 8 before buying one.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys.

There is no LHS around me, I have to travel to get near one so ordering online is what I plan to do.

That is good to hear that the 8ight has good durability then, as I am very curious about the vehicle even though I am an AE fan at heart.

I did have a matrix. After having one heck of a time with the OS VG engine, I sold the setup to another racer who was looking to getting into 1/8 scale buggy. Nothing against the vehicle, just thinking of trying something new.

For those who have driven a hyper 8, and losi 8ight, what are the differences in handling you noticed?
Old 07-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bushyar15
Now the 8ight-T seems to be very problematic in certain areas....
the only problems with the 8ight-t is finding one in stock, finding room for your trophies and listening to the haters.
as far as your question. i have owned both the hyper and the 8ight. both are great cars. a very technical driver will be better off with the 8ight. it is a faster car, but its harder to drive fast. i would also see who has better parts support at you lhs.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Z_Schneider
If you're looking for something smooth I would go with the X-ray, however every driver is going to say the car they are currently driving is the best.
i run a jammin and told cain to go with the xray based on knowing his driving style being we are friends....i am not bias to one brand, just against the ones i doent like cause of seeing bad thing with the product or the co....

i hate when we as RC'ers are lumped into a stereotype, seems to happen alot....
Old 07-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I have owned both the Hyper 8 and the Losi 8. THe Hyper was wonderful but no where near as durable as the Losi.
It had tons of true steering but the parts would get loose with normal driving.
It was the most planted and easy to drive car I have ever driven.
I have owned and raced Mugen, Xray and Kyoshos as well. I was much faster and more consistant with my Hyper8.

Now the Losi 8 did everything else better and was too much in some areas. I spent time with it and dialed it back and it is fast a hell. It takes very little power and effort to make the car run lap after lap at neck break speeds. At least I think that until another one passes me like I'm standing still. LOL!
After over a year of racing twice a week it has had to have new parts due to normal wear. It is as tough as the toughest car I have ever driven.
It is too much for some but it goes where you tell it and gets to speed in a hurry!
I'm the guy that can not even drive the Truhe or Azmecua setups. They have too much twichyness to me.
I have posted my setup on here.

Good luck!
TEX
Old 07-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Tech Legend

I was hoping jason you would have that X-ray out there to try but you sold the one you had!

I used to run touring when the X-Rays first came out and the quality was there no doubt, just seemed the prices were really up there too.

Thanks for the info Tex. Doing a losi just feels weird almost. Haven't had one of those in a long time since I was running the XXX-S sedan which turned out to be a pile after I tried a beater TC3. But there customer service is one of the best.

Is it a common thing with Hobao vehicles the issue of getting sloppy too soon? seems I have heard that about there various vehicles before.

On your 8ight, how has clutch wear been? Do you find you need to service it more than say a standard setup?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
I was stunned at how good the Losi 8 is. Everytime I rebuild it I get more impressed.

The HoBao (Hyper 8) metal is very good but the plastic does get sloppy.
The Hung Nor (Jammin) metal is OK and the plastic is a little better than the HoBao material.

Neither are the Losi, Xray, Mugen or Kyosho materials.

I run 7075 shoes on 3 positions and run 1 carbon shoe on the other. It is wonderful wear wise. The shoes last forever if you get the heardened ones.
Bearings are the same as everyones. I got mine from A-main for 1.00 each and they work fine.
I guess no more or no less in the maintenance of the clutch.

Clean the grease out and add a little light oil. Keep the shoes dry and remove the flaird edges and it will last a long time for you.
I have used 2 sets of shoes all season at $24 per set.

TEX
Old 07-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Legend

thanks for the info again.

Keeping my mind open here and seeing whats out there as well.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default hey

i have a losi eight rtr and it is great you can stay on the throttle all the time i would recomend this buggy to anyone