Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree46Likes

RC10GT2 thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

From what I've seen there's really no difference other than what brand you like best and how parts supply is. I run the gt2 and my buddy runs an ad2. I don't think one has any more or less problems than the other providing you are a decent driver and wrench hand. Sorry can't be of more help, but that's my honest opinion on the two vehicles.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbrow1
From what I've seen there's really no difference other than what brand you like best and how parts supply is. I run the gt2 and my buddy runs an ad2. I don't think one has any more or less problems than the other providing you are a decent driver and wrench hand. Sorry can't be of more help, but that's my honest opinion on the two vehicles.

I agree completely. I run an AD2 and my buddy runs a GT2. The Rear pivot block on the AD2 is somewhat of a weakpoint. RockConcepts makes an alloy pivot block that ends that issue. Can't remember what parts my buddy breaks.

I personaly like the handling of the AD2 better (but there's no flies on the GT2 by any means). My buddy feels the reverse. He thinks the AD2 jumps slightly better though. Setup's probably more important...
Old 12-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've owned both. Always the thought the AD2 was the best handling gas truck until the GT2 came out, pretty much a tie b/w those 2 now. The rear end on the AD2 was what drove me crazy, the screws through the bushings into the Al hub carriers always wanted to work loose unless you Loctited the shidnit out of them. Been several years since I've had one, that issue may be solved by now. I love how tunable the GT2 clutch is, you can get the feel exactly where you want it. I give a slight edge to The Deuce, that's why the AD2 belongs to someone else now, LOL.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cjtamu
I've owned both. Always the thought the AD2 was the best handling gas truck until the GT2 came out, pretty much a tie b/w those 2 now. The rear end on the AD2 was what drove me crazy, the screws through the bushings into the Al hub carriers always wanted to work loose unless you Loctited the shidnit out of them. Been several years since I've had one, that issue may be solved by now. I love how tunable the GT2 clutch is, you can get the feel exactly where you want it. I give a slight edge to The Deuce, that's why the AD2 belongs to someone else now, LOL.

Well put. Using slightly longer screws cured the the problem you mentioned for me. The stock setup doesn't have much thread engagement. Too long a screw will interfere with the axles though. Trial and error.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Another good engine for you to think about is the fantom fr.12. Now tha is one sweet running mill. I had one in my gt and now that I finally got a gt2 I put a new red head in it and it runs awsome. I cant wat till the summer to get back on the track and burn some nitro!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

you need to buck up and get a MANLY engine..the Picco JLR .12 Red Dot Onroad engine....1.7hp...41,000rpms...makes those GT2's go nuts!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Try an OS TZ. It's hard to keep the front end on the ground.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Smooth controllable power is the key, not ballistic top end power...Just my opinion, but I rarely see the truck that is fastest on the straight turning the best laps.

OS CV-R if you can find a new one...Maybe B&B hobbies in Hudson Florida, or similar older well stocked stores, Ebay, etc.

When O.S. stopped making that engine, it was like when chevy stopped making the 327!

Bummer

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

The engine I ran last year was a OS cvr and I can say it was amazing!!!! In the last race I ran it in I ran a 25 min b main and a 40 min a main and after both races it had tons of power and came off at 200*!!!!! I do have to say that the fantom is rated at 1.15hp and wow does it have alot of power but it seems to be very controlable.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

The Dynamite Platinum .12. Will run circles around the OS in price, performance and life.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
Smooth controllable power is the key, not ballistic top end power...Just my opinion, but I rarely see the truck that is fastest on the straight turning the best laps.

OS CV-R if you can find a new one...Maybe B&B hobbies in Hudson Florida, or similar older well stocked stores, Ebay, etc.

When O.S. stopped making that engine, it was like when chevy stopped making the 327!

Bummer

...Jim
W.E.D.

I couldn't agree more! I have two of them, and I pick up more used and new CV-R's when good deals come up. It's smooth and controllable to the extreme. Easy to tune, and frugal on fuel. When traction's good I get wheelies outa corners with my AD2 and this engine. I've never needed more power in 1/10th GT.

Top end is perfect for my needs, without being too much. I've seen an STI .12 in a GT2 that would get squrrely on the straights unless the driver was real careful. Too much power in a 1/10th Gas Truck is indeed too much.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Ralph Walters
The Dynamite Platinum .12. Will run circles around the OS in price, performance and life.
Sorry , its not even close to the smooth performance the Os Cvr gives....

Still no other motor for 1/10th gas truck that can compare including the Os Tg...
Old 12-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ralph Walters
Some folks say the Dynamite SPD and/or Platinum engines are a successor to the OS .12CV-R, offering similar (or 'better') powerbands, with good value. I'd like to believe it, as I'm not enthused by the current crop of .12 engines. Most of the current .12's suffer from at least one of the following flaws:

1)They aren't available as a threaded shaft engine (you GT2 guys are lucky you can run either threaded or SG shaft engines).

2)They are too expensive (and/or the parts are too expensive).

3)They produce the 'wrong' type of power for a 1/10th Gas Truck in my opinion.

I haven't tried a Dynamite .12 yet. Nobody I've ran with has either. At least the Dynamite engines do have cheap P/C sets...
Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

IMO the CV (with aftermarket head) and CV-R were the best gas truck engines ever. CV killed the CV-R on fuel mileage though, I always liked it better unless I needed a few extra ponies. I also loved the Dynamite SPD in truck. No first hand experience with the Platinum. I'll tell you right now that an OS TZ in a gas truck is just stoopid. The engine is smooth and the power is controllable (esp. w/Smoothy pipe), but you're paying $250 for power you'll almost never be able to use. It has so much top end that even with great traction you don't use all of it.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

http://www.dirtoval.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34601

Sweet two piece engine mount for the GT2. The guy told me he has 20 sets made that need finishing touches. I think he was asking $30 a piece and willing to cut a break if several were ordered. He makes them at his home. I'm gonna get two, one for my GT2 and one for my RC10GT--modified obviously.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.