• 2 Post By Matt Piva
  • 1 Post By Rampokker
  • 1 Post By 1995 Monster T

Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 08:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Steering issue

Hello all I was bashing with my tmaxx the other day and the steering suddenly stopped working.the throttle still works just no steering.the servo kept getting weaker and weaker until it stopped working.so my question was could there be an issue with the transmitter or is it most likely the servo. I can swap it out with a high torque replacement.the servo in the truck now was really weak not enough torque to turn well in tight turns at high speeds.
Old 05-14-2023, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Sounds like it got to that point it was roasted, get a new servo with 350+ oz of torque (450+ would be safe) and make sure you set end points or it will get destroyed in a run. A lot of those rtr bashers come with slow weak servos and don’t last so don’t replace it with another weak servo just get yourself something solid. The hitec 7950 can probably be found cheap and is solid, it’s a bit older tech but I still run them in my practice car and 2/3 of them have lasted 10+ years cause I set my end points to a safe amount of throw right left so they don’t get stressed.
Bud and petersen114 like this.
Old 05-21-2023, 05:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Check the servo saver as well. If the nut comes loose, the saver will be way too soft and cause the servo to turn, but not actually move the wheels.
Your comment of "the servo kept getting weaker and weaker until it stopped working" makes me think the servo saver may be something to check.
Bud likes this.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jakehughes
Hello all I was bashing with my tmaxx the other day and the steering suddenly stopped working.the throttle still works just no steering.the servo kept getting weaker and weaker until it stopped working.so my question was could there be an issue with the transmitter or is it most likely the servo. I can swap it out with a high torque replacement.the servo in the truck now was really weak not enough torque to turn well in tight turns at high speeds.
The stock servo is 80 Oz. and is weak and will fail. get a 150Oz. servo same size metal gear and you will be fine. This is what I use.
4PCS MG996R MG995 Gear Digital Torque Servo 360° For Futaba RC JR Truck Racing | eBay You don't need 350 -400 Oz. the stock servo saver will be useless.
RaptorToto likes this.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:10 AM
Tech Adept

I think it is the servo
Old 06-06-2023, 10:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Matt Piva
Sounds like it got to that point it was roasted, get a new servo with 350+ oz of torque (450+ would be safe) and make sure you set end points or it will get destroyed in a run. A lot of those rtr bashers come with slow weak servos and don’t last so don’t replace it with another weak servo just get yourself something solid. The hitec 7950 can probably be found cheap and is solid, it’s a bit older tech but I still run them in my practice car and 2/3 of them have lasted 10+ years cause I set my end points to a safe amount of throw right left so they don’t get stressed.
I appreciate your advice on getting a new servo with higher torque and setting endpoints to avoid any potential damage. It's reassuring to know that upgrading to a more robust servo, like the Hitec 7950, can provide a reliable solution. I'll definitely look into that option.
Old 06-07-2023, 12:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Probably your receiver battery died and just needs to be recharged.
Old 06-14-2023, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

The stock servo saver can only handle 100-125 oz max. You will need a new serv saver that can handle more power. Kimbrough gas servo saver can handle up to 200oz max. That's all you need. Any more than that is over kill and a waste of money and no manufacture makes a servo saver larger.