Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Buckland
  • 1 Post By 1995 Monster T

RC10GT .12 / .15 motor choices?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 04:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Default RC10GT .12 / .15 motor choices?

Hi, I'm not much of a nitro guy, haven't messed with one since around 2008 (RC10GT2). I recently picked up a couple of black tub GT's for basically nothing. One has a Traxxas Pro .15 in it that was stuck. I freed it up with WD40 easily and it feels like it has good compression. The other truck has a old Dynamite TNT .12R which was stuck pretty good and feels like it has a little compression, it also came with a spare HPI Nitro Star.15 that again was stuck, but that feels like it has very little to no compression. What options are out there for a .12 or .15 these days? Seems like alot of people go the traxxas route as it's easy to get, cheap and parts are available....but I don't really want a TRX motor in my Associated truck...lol. Thanks....

Last edited by RC Racer73; 02-02-2023 at 04:32 AM.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Seems like the Ignite RC Gas Truck guys are running rear exhaust on-road engines with their custom header/pipe. Maybe not the best power delivery with gas truck, I have no idea on that, but at least they are using parts currently available!

https://ignitedesignrc.com/collectio...ories-1?page=1
RC Racer73 likes this.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Interesting.....Thanks!
Old 02-02-2023, 07:53 AM
Tech Addict

First off freeing a stuck engine with wd40 is not good. Use after run oil. I own 22 rc10 gt. Black tub to the stretched blue chassis. The Traxxas .15 is a common replacement engine that is cheap and available. I ditched the pull starters for a Sullivan tiger drive system. With used engine I suggest using fuel with 14-18% oil lube to give the engine new life. I use Os .12 -.15 engines. The black tub dosen't have much options for gearing. I made a custom motor mount that would allow for a 18 tooth clutch bell. Stock is only 15 tooth max. with 66 tooth spur gear. Over time the brake lever arm will start to wear on the brake mount decreasing brake force. I fixed that problem with a small bushing that will solder over the worn hole. Improving the brake lever to new again. I run the blue stretched chassis with a Os .18 cvr.
76jimmy likes this.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have a few crt .5 trucks which run .12 motors. The sh .12 is a descent option, and there are a few OS engines but more $$$. Most will be marketed for on road but will definitely rip in a gas truck.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:08 PM
Tech Initiate

I too am infatuated right now with the old nitro 2WD ST. I just finished restoring a stock RC10GT tonight and have another one to do with all the hop up and team goodies. Just watch eBay and you’ll find old treasures. Today I bought 3 OSP .12’s, side exhaust, short threaded shaft, rotary carb. Brand new. Research says OSP’s were monster Italian engines. We shall see. Paid not more than $125 each brand new. I swear I’ll buy a piece of land if I have to to run all these great nitro platforms both new and old. Nitro forever!
Old 02-04-2023, 04:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all of the replies. I think my plan is to convert one of these trucks to electric and keep one nitro since I have two of them.