Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi 8ight shock interchangeability >

Losi 8ight shock interchangeability

Losi 8ight shock interchangeability

Old 07-24-2020, 05:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Losi 8ight shock interchangeability

Long story short, the lack of springs for my losi 8ight rtr is killing me so ive been looking into shocks from a kit to bump up to 16mm from the 15mm currently on my car. my question is....will the 8ightx or 8ightxe shocks fit on the rtr? i get that mounting may be different and i can work around that easily enough. mostly are the shock bodies the same length front and rear as say the 3.0 or 4.0. i can find entire shock sets for the x and xe which is more cost effective than buying 4.0 or 3.0 shocks piece by piece. also, i know spring cups will be different since the 3.0 and 4.0 had taper springs. or atleast thats what i gather from the parts explosions ive been staring at for days....any help is much appreciated
Old 07-24-2020, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Markus23 View Post
Long story short, the lack of springs for my losi 8ight rtr is killing me so ive been looking into shocks from a kit to bump up to 16mm from the 15mm currently on my car. my question is....will the 8ightx or 8ightxe shocks fit on the rtr? i get that mounting may be different and i can work around that easily enough. mostly are the shock bodies the same length front and rear as say the 3.0 or 4.0. i can find entire shock sets for the x and xe which is more cost effective than buying 4.0 or 3.0 shocks piece by piece. also, i know spring cups will be different since the 3.0 and 4.0 had taper springs. or atleast thats what i gather from the parts explosions ive been staring at for days....any help is much appreciated
You will need the shocks from the 4.0......
Old 07-24-2020, 11:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Thats what i was afraid of lol. Thanks for the quick reply
Old 07-28-2020, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Mugen 1/8 shocks ++
Dakota Phend used mugen springs and tlr shocks at some point I believe.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

A slight modification is required to use X Xe shock ends and cups. Can’t remember at the moment..

The X shocks will work the same but just as expensive.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I think I saw this on Facebook and replied. But u can do a couple things. 1 you can pull the steel silver balls and trade them out with the anodized brownish aluminum, the steel balls are standard 3/32 8ight 4.0 size and the brown are metric 8ight-x, that will allow u to use a 3/32 screw with steel balls. Or you can use the m3 3mm screw with both but the m3 is slightly smaller and will have slop.

also if I was u I would look into a bigger shock tower for your front. Maybe go get a truggy front tower and fashion yourself a few new holes cause forsure those shocks are going to be really long for that old of a car. For example I think the front max droop u can get is 96mm front, these x shocks in front sit at 106 with the ability to go to something like 110/112mm. That means your shocks will bottom out really hard if you don't get a taller tower and the rear will have a bunch of room before the chassis hits the ground, we want shocks where the chassis takes the bottoming out and still has more travel, I can bottom my cars out and still lift the wheel up an inch more with or without the shocks on.

I think your desired outcome may better be getting a 8 x. However doing mods like this was what got me into it. I have in the past put ae shocks on a tamiya truggy and it bottomed out like 6mm before the chassis could. First lap I could feel the binding in the rear under power but it was when i landed off the first real jump i noticed the insane reaction to the right or left it had, on a real track i would have been shot over 2 lanes. When the shock binds like that under throttle and load it makes the car super unpredictable and shoot different directions and u have no control over it. So your really better off with a shorter shock full travel then a bigger shock that crams up cause it doesn't have the length.