Wiki Posts
Search

HotBodies D8 history question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default HotBodies D8 history question

Been away from the RC world since 2012/2013. Sold my top dollar items to fund another hobby and kept some items Incase I return so I wouldn’t have to start completely over. My son wants into 8th scale racing now after getting a slash for Xmas. I have a D8 setup I want to get going for him but I can’t find parts on amain. Guessing it’s just too old. I’m confused on the d8 models after the original D8. Does the number after the d8 represent the year of the model? D815 means D8 2015 model and soo on? Trying to avoid buying a new racing buggy at the moment until we have a good RC setup and supplies. Will any parts on the newer models fit on the older model? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Your best bet to find Older HB parts is probably gonna be Absolutehobbyz.com They are linked to HB. Yes the number behind the D8 corresponds to a year but they are not exact.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:05 AM
Tech Initiate

The 817 & 819 are identical platforms so you could purchase a 2nd hand 817 and add the new 819/819RS parts when money allows.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply. I do understand the year and model now. I was able to locate a few parts amain.
We have the first gen d8 and ve8 i picked in a parts lot years ago. The models used were pennies back then so i just kept them for bashing days but mostly sat. Should of kept my Mugen rollers but didn’t.
Hopefully these will be ok to practice with for now. I was trying to find out if any parts from the newer models can work on this gen But it’s a no go. We will just roll with it for now and figure out what new model to upgrade to after. i know the hobby well but feel off now because soo much ash changed with newer models. I will have to relearn the quality of each model. But thanks again for replying.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

D8 series has compatible parts. for example the newer arms will fit in your d8. i think the radio tray was also compatible with yours also. but the c hubs and knuckles and other suspension parts can get costly if you upgrade individually. basically you can upgrade your d8 to d812 specs and so on. start with arms and the radio tray.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bionictony
D8 series has compatible parts. for example the newer arms will fit in your d8. i think the radio tray was also compatible with yours also. but the c hubs and knuckles and other suspension parts can get costly if you upgrade individually. basically you can upgrade your d8 to d812 specs and so on. start with arms and the radio tray.
Thanks for the info. Not sure on upgrading due to its age. I’m inquiring so when we are at the track and he my son breaks a part i can walk into the shop to ask for replacement part which will probably be off a newer model. That is if the shop doesn’t have older D8 parts. Cars were bought 2012/2013 era but 2nd hand. Wondering if they are a model above the D8. Here are pics. One roller, one parts car and a ve8 I believe. Again this is just to get him started. Would like to upgrade other items being my electronics are 6-7 plus years old. M11x and old jr9100t servos etc.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I ran a D8 and a Ve8 last year. Both are decent buggies still. If the Ve8 doesn't have the front and rear aluminum chassis plates it won't last long. If it does have them, it's a tank and hard to break. It's also really heavy. It takes longer to get going and longer to stop. It would be good for a beginner though because its easy to drive. The D8 can still be pretty fast. It's closer to what the new buggies are. Its heavy too but not as bad. As far as parts go its almost impossible to find a body for the Ve8. If you get the d819 body mounts any of the bodies for the HB D812 or newer will fit. The HPI Vorza is basically an electric D8. Search for those parts.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Man that stuffs a dinosaur lol. I wouldn’t waste my time with that stuff. PM and lets talk or hit me on FB old friend.....😊
Old 03-03-2020, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fazznick
I ran a D8 and a Ve8 last year. Both are decent buggies still. If the Ve8 doesn't have the front and rear aluminum chassis plates it won't last long. If it does have them, it's a tank and hard to break. It's also really heavy. It takes longer to get going and longer to stop. It would be good for a beginner though because its easy to drive. The D8 can still be pretty fast. It's closer to what the new buggies are. Its heavy too but not as bad. As far as parts go its almost impossible to find a body for the Ve8. If you get the d819 body mounts any of the bodies for the HB D812 or newer will fit. The HPI Vorza is basically an electric D8. Search for those parts.
Hey thanks for the advice. I will try the new battery try and leave it at that. We have the parts car and I guess the ve8 as parts if we need. I probably won’t get that going. But thanks!
Old 03-03-2020, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcmoe
Man that stuffs a dinosaur lol. I wouldn’t waste my time with that stuff. PM and lets talk or hit me on FB old friend.....😊
Maurice is that you! lol I Iooked for your your number in my old phones. Went by Handle it and asked about the old group. Cool that most are still racing. We had a garage sell and my son asked to get the Rc stuff down. He wants to race now so I’m excited. Wife is on board so I’m or we are back lol Gotta get rid of some old stuff and upgrade along the way. I will drive here and there but the goal is to work with him. Before we get a new rig I want him to learn and beat on the old stuff first. I will get it close to raceable as i can. I will pm you.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The ming yang MY1 car , is the follow-up of the HB D8

Old 04-08-2020, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Ve8

You can flip any of the parts for the old hb. I still run a d8 also and ve8. If you need the front rear arm mounts just file the numbs flat or cut the chassis. The front clips and rear clips will will bolt right up along with the cente . The only thing you might have watch out for is the front center shaft. Those lenght changed here and there... now your body gonna be the hardest to fine especially for the ve8.