Wiki Posts
Search

My first nitro truggy

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 07:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default My first nitro truggy

hi all, I’ve been busy doing research lately for my first nitro truggy but not new to nitro, the Losi 8ight is the olnly one I know but when I start digging online I saw a couple of options like the Tekno, team associated and more, now it’s getting more difficult to choose since I don’t have experience in truggies my rigs are all nitro MT, what do you all guys recommend? I don’t do racing right now but not sure in the future, my budget for a kit will be around 500-600, rtr 500 to 900, I want a brand that has better parts support, hope you guys can help me decide for my first nitro truggy, thanks in advance..
Old 01-26-2019, 02:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rigelkent09
hi all, I’ve been busy doing research lately for my first nitro truggy but not new to nitro, the Losi 8ight is the olnly one I know but when I start digging online I saw a couple of options like the Tekno, team associated and more, now it’s getting more difficult to choose since I don’t have experience in truggies my rigs are all nitro MT, what do you all guys recommend? I don’t do racing right now but not sure in the future, my budget for a kit will be around 500-600, rtr 500 to 900, I want a brand that has better parts support, hope you guys can help me decide for my first nitro truggy, thanks in advance..
some nitro truggys kits are, if you want to race get a kit. Rtr is going to cost you more upgrading breaking stuff non stop and not be as competitive.
Your better off buying a gently used kit over a rtr.
If you buy new and build it you’ll learn how the car goes together which is important if your going to race.
tlr eight t 4.0
tekno nt48.3
hb racing d817t
mugen mbx8t
associated rc8t3.1
agama a215t
xray xt8

As far as parts support depends kinda where you live. What does your hobby shop carry, if there no hobby shop or hobby shop at track your gonna race at then you’ll have to order stuff. So Amain absolute hobbyz eBay etc. if your in USA then you can order from those sites.
A lot of places will have Tlr associated mugen hb racing parts. Agama and X-ray parts I’ve seen less of in hobby shops.
If your going to race don’t go bash your truck. You’ll regret it later on.
Some of these trucks will come with more upgrades box stock and some are newer then others.
Newer truck that just came out will have all the latest features etc.
I mainly use the Tlr eight t 4.0 truck but my truck i got like every upgrade on it. Box stock the truck is good but I think you’ll want to buy a couple upgrades if you start racing, the truck is on the older side and will probably have a new one coming out I would guess maybe late this year but that’s just a guess.
The hb racing d817t is a great truck out of the box has a lot of aluminum upgrades like alum hubs castor blocks. Metal brakes. 2 piece engine mount.
I got one recently but haven’t run it yet.

Mugen mbx8t just came out couple months ago. So it’s a newer truck. Heard it’s good truggy. Mugen seems to be a popular brand.

The tekno nt48.3 has been our for a while, not sure when a new one is coming. There working on a new buggy so sometime after new buggy out truck will be after but that could be a year. Again I don’t know.
Heard it’s a good truggy.

The others I don’t know much about.

If if I had to pick one box stock right now I’d go hb racing d817t
Old 01-26-2019, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for that very informative response, now I’m going to look up those truggies you had mentioned, the Losi is very common to me since I own e truggy before the purple chassis, the rest is going to be my homework, again thank you very much, I do really appreciate it, at least now I have other options..
Old 01-26-2019, 10:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for that very informative response, now I’m going to look up those truggies you had mentioned, the Losi is very common to me since I own e truggy before the purple chassis, the rest is going to be my homework, again thank you very much, I do really appreciate it, at least now I have other options..
no problem. I’m sure others will comment on them saying there opinions on each one. I haven’t driven a lot of them so I can’t really give a review on them all. If you look in posts on this page and ask questions in each cars thread I’m sure you’ll get more reviews opinons. If you interested in certain ones go to the thread of each car cause people with the car will more likely be able to answer questions on it.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you just bash then Tekno all the way, if you're looking to get into racing...Tekno all the way. They are very durable and race worthy. I have only ran tekno so i can't say for others however any parts that break on a track, aren't normally tekno.

but all in all if you're just looking to run in the driveway then any major brand would work.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TrespasseR_MN
If you just bash then Tekno all the way, if you're looking to get into racing...Tekno all the way. They are very durable and race worthy. I have only ran tekno so i can't say for others however any parts that break on a track, aren't normally tekno.

but all in all if you're just looking to run in the driveway then any major brand would work.
yes I’m not planning of racing yet at the moment but maybe along the road, the Tekno And HB racing kit are more expensive thank the Losi 4.0, I’m going to do a little more research and thanks for sharing your experience with Tekno, I really appreciate it,👍👍👍
Old 01-27-2019, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

even though you don't plan on racing yet, head down to your local track and see if some of the locals will allow you to test drive one of the kits you're looking at. Different kits have different driving characteristics.

Coming back from a hiatus, I have TLR electric and nitro buggies and the etruggy(my son's)

I am switching back to Team Associated (I ran RC10GT and Nitro TC3 before my hiatus) and got the RC8T3.1e and can tell you box stock, this has a TON more steering than the losi eTruggy. Some kits run loose, etc. Best to see if you can try one out.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TrespasseR_MN

Originally Posted by Evoking1230
even though you don't plan on racing yet, head down to your local track and see if some of the locals will allow you to test drive one of the kits you're looking at. Different kits have different driving characteristics.

Coming back from a hiatus, I have TLR electric and nitro buggies and the etruggy(my son's)

I am switching back to Team Associated (I ran RC10GT and Nitro TC3 before my hiatus) and got the RC8T3.1e and can tell you box stock, this has a TON more steering than the losi eTruggy. Some kits run loose, etc. Best to see if you can try one out.
yes I will, I’m a big fan of team associated too as I owned couple of their ebuggy and sct, if I can only drive all of it personally that would be great, the track I know here was mostly ran electric and nitro buggy, maybe I should try to visit other racetracks and see if they run nitro truggy, I’ve been doing a lot of research and reviews online but nothing like to drive them in person, I think all of the truggies mentioned are great it comes down to my taste how they look and chassis layout, thanks a lot, I really appreciate your input..
Old 02-02-2019, 02:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

For bashing the associated would be out for me great race truggy but a little fragile for bashing.
Tlr tougfh as nails but a lot of rear drive basis due to center drive shaft angles can still be competitive.
Hbd817t excellent truck great handling holds up good sometimes parts can be tougfh to find.
Agama never had one
mugen top quality can't go wrong with them.
I currently run the sworkz s35-t my self excellent quality parts support is not the best but is getting better
fully upgraded out of the box loads of carbon fiber full universal drive shafts lot of aluminum parts mugen/associated copy but with stronger more durable parts.
Just my take can't go wrong with any of them I have had them all.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by infrontofu
For bashing the associated would be out for me great race truggy but a little fragile for bashing.
Tlr tougfh as nails but a lot of rear drive basis due to center drive shaft angles can still be competitive.
Hbd817t excellent truck great handling holds up good sometimes parts can be tougfh to find.
Agama never had one
mugen top quality can't go wrong with them.
I currently run the sworkz s35-t my self excellent quality parts support is not the best but is getting better
fully upgraded out of the box loads of carbon fiber full universal drive shafts lot of aluminum parts mugen/associated copy but with stronger more durable parts.
Just my take can't go wrong with any of them I have had them all.
Thanks for sharing your experience with sworkz, I saw them online but just don’t have idea about the brand, never heard them either, they are a bit expensive but looks pretty good and solid, I haven’t decided which one yet, I’ll do some more research about this truggy, thanks bro..
Old 04-17-2020, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for sharing your experience with sworkz, I saw them online but just don’t have idea about the brand, never heard them either, they are a bit expensive but looks pretty good and solid, I haven’t decided which one yet, I’ll do some more research about this truggy, thanks bro..
Any update on which Truggy you went for in the end, or are you still looking?