Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

Pillow Ball vs. C-Hub

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 01:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

if it were that far out the cap would have to be threaded on the backside over the shaft, i guess its possible just doesnt seem like it would hold up and be practical anywhere but an engineers computer. It would almost need to be a like a uniball style containment to have the strength and clearnce required for that type of setup.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
if it were that far out the cap would have to be threaded on the backside over the shaft, i guess its possible just doesnt seem like it would hold up and be practical anywhere but an engineers computer. It would almost need to be a like a uniball style containment to have the strength and clearnce required for that type of setup.
The Thunder Tiger race cars had something similar. Held up fine.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

My father in law has a few ofna/hong nor buggies with the same setup and from what i remember of the s2 it had the same issue of the lower ball popping out if you landed on one tire or you hit something with the tires turned.
Please dont take this as arguing with you like JQ i believe your smarter than I Am, so im sharing how i feel so you will tell me your perspective.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
My father in law has a few ofna/hong nor buggies with the same setup and from what i remember of the s2 it had the same issue of the lower ball popping out if you landed on one tire or you hit something with the tires turned.
Please dont take this as arguing with you like JQ i believe your smarter than I Am, so im sharing how i feel so you will tell me your perspective.
We cool, don't worry.

I think the s2 didn't have that issue as it was far lighter than the ofna but surely it has its own limitations. I had a pic somewhere that shown how much droop the front suspension had, surreal.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:00 AM
Tech Elite

HB lightning drove good too with this, as Hara will state..
or was it the 3mm chassis ?

Last edited by speedy2; 03-24-2022 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:00 AM
JQ
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JQ
How? No it doesn't
Look at C hub cars. The outer hingpin is far outside of the king pin line. You can get the outer hingepin as far into the wheel.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:06 AM
JQ
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Ball joint is the common and more correct name in the automotive industry.

We're not saying the current PBS has longer arm than C-hub. It can be made with longer arms, you could even put it touching the rim and still steer, something C-hub can't do. Outside the box thinking.
The hub can touch the wheel yes, but that is not the pivot point. The pivot point is the centre of the ball, and because you can't make the ball too small, you are limited, and that limit is the same as what limits a chub system.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:31 AM
Tech Elite

Last edited by 30Tooth; 11-29-2018 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Pic went mia
Old 11-29-2018, 03:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JQ
The hub can touch the wheel yes, but that is not the pivot point. The pivot point is the centre of the ball, and because you can't make the ball too small, you are limited, and that limit is the same as what limits a chub system.
When I said hub I meant the ball cup. A recessed hub sort of, even if that puts the king pin outside of the centre. The c-hub has to be narrow and away from the wheel for steering clearance. Look at your car, the outer hinge pin is away from the wheel about 10mm right below the inner hub bearing but with the s2 design the lower ball can be put below the outer bearing and still retain clearances. Even if steering axis is funky.

Mp9 Pic to show what I'm saying. No further arguments from me as c-hub suspension is the best.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:55 AM
dtr
Tech Master

It seem trivial to me what 30Tooth tries to explain, that is the wheel has to clear every suspension part throughout the whole steering, and a c-hub assembly is obviously much wider with the hinge pinge and the supporting arm ends then a pillow ball hub. You can draw it to yourself if you can't see it in your mind or use some basic trigonometry.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

It was outside the box thinking and you would have a big kpi angle and/or big offset that way. Only works as a proof that you can get a long arm pbs, nothing more. Again with current constraints c-hub is the best choice.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

When I said hub I meant the ball cup. A recessed hub sort of, even if that puts the king pin outside of the centre. The c-hub has to be narrow and away from the wheel for steering clearance. Look at your car, the outer hinge pin is away from the wheel about 10mm right below the inner hub bearing but with the s2 design the lower ball can be put below the outer bearing and still retain clearances. Even if steering axis is funky.

Mp9 Pic to show what I'm saying. No further arguments from me as c-hub suspension is the best.
It was outside the box thinking and you would have a big kpi angle and/or big offset that way. Only works as a proof that you can get a long arm pbs, nothing more. Again with current constraints c-hub is the best choice.
Yes...given that you can add SAI / KPI to c hub anyway if you wish. A bit off topic but on the arm length subject there are more interesting opportunities inboard if some unusual for rc car draftshaft technologies were used...
Old 11-29-2018, 11:13 AM
Suspended

Lets not forget the cost of front hubs and knuckles are stupidly expensive in comparison to a pillow/pivot front upright
Old 11-29-2018, 03:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

PERFECTION!!!
Old 03-23-2022, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I've been wondering the same thing JQ had a really good video describing the differences between the two and I thought it was interesting enough to try out myself. I got the tekno and the associated set them up with identical setups electronics and motors. Running same compound tires on both. I've been playing with both and have found that I can drive the associated faster easier. They are very close but so far my fastest lap times are with the associated car the steering feels very linear entering around and exiting the corner the tekno feels a little more aggressive to me I'm still playing with each one and will update this thread later. My goal is to get the tekno to surpass the associated as I just like the car better. I have just started removing the chassis braces on the tekno to play with the flex. I believe one of the reasons why the associated drive so well and is easy to drive is because it is a 3 mm chassis versus a 4 mm it has two longer chassis braces as opposed to the three and overall the chassis has more flex and the plastics are softer providing more flex. I race on a Dusty bumpy outdoor clay track.
WTRC likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.