Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2010 Memphis Mini Cup

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JLock
Why not have one of the hobby shops buy a certain allotment of the motors and sell them at the set price (get a count of exactly how many mini racers you will have and have a small number of extras) and if there are a few extras, they could be purchased by the non-regulars that may drop in an race a mini every now and again. Then, maybe at the end of the season, the club can then buy the leftovers and have them available for sale to the mini class participants for the next season. Just a thought.
Well, the whole idea is that the motors aren't available to take home where people can do shady stuff to them and they're higher quality then the stuff that Tamiya sells.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Infernal Stone
Well, the whole idea is that the motors aren't available to take home where people can do shady stuff to them and they're higher quality then the stuff that Tamiya sells.
Well, why not have to racer purchase them at the initial race (not anytime before the first race) and have racers to turn them over to race management (after engraving/labeling for ID purposes) after each race. This way, it is the racer, not the club, making the outlay of cash for the motors. There are other ways to coordinate this (I understand what you are referring to). You just don't want it to seem like you are favoring one class or group of racers over the others. Just my opinion.

Last edited by JLock; 12-15-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yea, that's the idea. Just purchasing a better motor that is built to spec instead of luck of the draw of the Tamiya motors.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am against the club purchasing a large amount (or any amount for that matter).

Even if you get them, are they legal for TCS?

I agree with Q, why sink such a large chunk of club funds for 1 class?
Old 12-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Infernal Stone
Yea, that's the idea. Just purchasing a better motor that is built to spec instead of luck of the draw of the Tamiya motors.
Yea, I know what you are saying. We have a guy here in Dallas racing the stock Slash class in offroad and he bought and tested at least 40 motors just to get 5 better running ones so that he can beat the competition (your luck of the draw statement). At $26 per motor, that is a good outlay of cash on his part. Good luck with getting the logistics of this proposal worked out.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Adept

The idea was everyone that wants to participate in the class show up with a brand new silver can in the box. Phil said he has a dyno to check for rockets and dogs. I think we can find someone to donate a dozen motor to the club so we can have a buffer for anyone that shows up and doesn't know what the deal is. This donor will also again be providing the famous mini cup medals to be awarded at each event.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

There will be a random draw before each race and John will pick last.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by frankrehnelt
The idea was everyone that wants to participate in the class show up with a brand new silver can in the box. Phil said he has a dyno to check for rockets and dogs. I think we can find someone to donate a dozen motor to the club so we can have a buffer for anyone that shows up and doesn't know what the deal is. This donor will also again be providing the famous mini cup medals to be awarded at each event.
Sounding better all the time. Nice to see ya getting your interest back.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

nice ideas on the subject. Solid opinions with the reasoning behind the opinions. I like it when people explain themselves.

That is a nice chunk of change though. if its a 14 race series and there is an average of 10 entries per race that's $1400 brought in by the class the entire season. So that would be spending 40%-60% of that on motors for the class. that may of may not make the haul. The mini cup may be a dixie cup and a sharpie in 2010......jk

I am not for it or against it. I do not run mini. So i will not stick my finger in it. Just a little math
Old 12-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cliferton
I like it when people explain themselves.

That is a nice chunk.
So i will not stick my finger in it.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds like the same old song and dance to me . Just like the VTA thread that was started at the end of the year that got no where
Old 12-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

How did you know the first 3 lines i typed Sean??
Old 12-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

John is just getting us the info on everything. Its just being put on here
to let everyone know. We will most likely have you bring a new motor
will mark them and everyone blind draw your motor.
We will vote either on running The old way or blind draw.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

Default All the Opinions you ever wanted to see!

My useless opinion on nearly everything, hehe. As you know everyone has one. And remember they are just MY OPINIONS.

I am for SPEC almost anyway you want to create it.

I do not think the club should pay for it. Hopefully those that want to run spec can foot the cost of their own motor.

I can live with $40.00 for a motor, for 15K or 13K. (I only plan to buy one.)

I am okay with New silver cans, even if it's $40 for 2 (so we have spares). But does John really want to spec every motor to get us started?

Something cheaper is also okay, I don't care how fast they are as long as they are all the same speed.

$5 extra per racer- one time might be way to have at least one official SPEC motor, in case one dies. If you do this I think that one has to stay for use of those already paid in. Sorry vistors and one timers, but if the regulars are buying it for an emergency, we don't need to find that it gone for some reason, when we finally need it.

I would hope we can find enough left over (but spec'ed) silver cans to set up a couple of emergency spares.

I would rather have John order as many at the same time as possible, spec or just new. The bring one in box is okay but last time, that lead to a lot of running between hobby shops to find them, and we completely bought out the Memphis supply, even after I warned at least one of the shops, that they should probably stock a few extras. Was TCS Senior class last year I think. If you bring a new in box, you still have to use some sort of loaner until it is spec'ed, Might be the next race. If we spec our own, then I suggest we use lesser motors for loaners, and any that are hot, we auction off (Club members only) in a thread on here. Probably best if done BEFORE TCS.

Has anyone considered that maybe their are still a bunch that would rather run like last year "Red Dots and whatever you got". Everyone doesn't have to do this, honestly, I think it's a lot of us slower guys that want this class. We can have SPEC and PRO, if there are enough racers. This could end up two classes of 10. If that happens I would suggest no one is allowed to run more than one Mini class per day. (To much waiting on motor swappers, and two few turn marshalls). Take a survey, see how many will put there money up, and how many would rather have old class.

Late year entries (or one-timers) hopefully we can find a few silver cans that we are sure are at least not better than the spec motors, to use as loaners. While they wait on an official spec motor, but they only get to use a loaner ONCE, before they pay motor cost to be regular in the class. Remember if there turns out to be a second Mini class, they can always run there, or they can run in novice. Until they are serious enough to buy in for a motor, they probably don't belong. I suggest that this NOT be a class for our two big races.

How long will a silver can last - If you don't screw with it, Just race it and clean it, they will usually last a very long time. Also history shows that the longer you run it the better it gets.

I trust John, even if he doesn't draw last. (okay may not if he is first AND he gets to look at each and choose).

I am against loaning out the SPEC motors for TCS, just causes to many issues (who gets it, what did they do to it, did we get it back, etc.).

Give the motors back to Spec Racers at end of season. - That's okay, but I would hope everyone would just leave them, so they could be next years loaners. or if class has died, we could always use them for all those novices that show up with 19-trun motors. Anyone with throw away Tamyia ESC, might could donate those also.

No one in class leaves until every SPEC motor has been turned in! If you take it away, "Your a$$ is Grass". It might cost you another motor fee, and using loaner, until it's replaced. And we still expect the one you carried off back.

Other Non Mini Spec but still good questions.

Remodel the drivers stand to be one level and longer rather than two levels. That would be nice, but would take a small team of welding guys, to take that on by themselves. Just for those that are new, try to remember that we completely redid the trailer just a couple of years ago, so we have already done a recent large expense on it. It really needs a new lift, and new wiring on the lights (after the fire), no matter what.

Purchase all new WHITE pipe for better contrast to the asphalt ultimately providing better visibility. - Well new pipe would be a real good thing. White would also be nice, but I believe from experience, we need the most durable, (Brittle is bad) to survive constant put down and take up.

Pay someone (who likely may be out of work) to build the track for each race. Even at $10 or $12 per hour at 3 hours per build the $641.25 would pay for nearly every race on the "proposed" schedule. _ On the surface I like this, but we went down this road before, many more issues than we wanted to tackle. Need to start this discussion in it's own thread.

I can't remember if I said this earlier or only thought it (OldandSlow you know). New computer was mentioned. First possibbly some don't know, but the current computer is fairly new, Ryan Carmichael, got his company to GIVE us one. It was very nice of them, to bad I can't remember the company name (remember I am OldandSlow). Insert Plug for Ryan's Company Here.... But if you are really interested and you happen to want an IBM or Lenovo, I can get club (or nearly anyone else) my company discount (new or used), there are some cheap used ones. Contact me directly if interested. No Internet replies please, I need to sort of know you.

Last edited by OldandSlow; 12-15-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-16-2009, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

First off, it’s whatever the Mini races want to do. The motor info was just to show what is available. The point is to make the motors as equal as possible. I will even draw last; it won’t matter as everyone has an equal chance at any motor.
If the stock silver can is what we run, then we should purchase them from one of the local hobby shops. It would be nice to do this purchase in bulk to lower the cost. We will also need Dean’s plugs.
If people are concerned about me racing and prepping the motors, then it would be best to let someone else do it.
And Q you point is a valid one, money is always better spent on the track.

Last edited by Three; 12-16-2009 at 06:30 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.