Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree92Likes

Tekno vs Arrma

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Fixing things as and when they go wrong will - over time - give the rtr user a basic knowledge of the car.

Someone that builds a kit will often have options along the way, will choose engines/tyres/servos/radios/esc's/motors etc and have a fuller understanding from day 1.

A good example might be someone racing a RTR truggy at a club meeting. They bend a shock shaft. Having never built the shock in the first place, they have no ideas how to disassemble the shock, how the piston works, where the o-rings go, what weight oil to use, how far to fill the shock or how bleed the shock and get it silky smooth. It's all voodoo. Consequently, they miss 2 rounds, dropping into a lower final than usual.

The guys who built their truggys will already have assembled 4 shocks, know the process and which shock oil to use. Catching the next round will be possible because the job will be done and dusted within 10 mins including a quick clean up. This means only one round dropped and making the final.

Event driven learning is not ideal. Prior training is preferable. Experience is king.

On the other hand - RTR's attract a wider audience and get more people into the sport. Not everyone likes building but are happy to tinker if/when something goes wrong.

The Arrma Krayton is an amazing RTR. But if they did a Kit version with better parts minus a radio for around the same price - it would still sell well to old school types like me who only use 3VC FASST stick radios..

Tenkno, Arrma or Mugen......tough call! The last Mugen I built was perfect in my opinion. Good quality, materials and high performance. Tekno - everyone raves about how well they work - competitive and tough. Arrma - bang for buck.
Stankfinger76 likes this.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BlairW
Interesting thread.

I am in the market for a truggy, purely for bashing. Seriously considering the v4 arrma kraton. I'm afraid I wont be happy with it out of the box, I'm POSITIVE I wont want anything to do with the crappy radio they force down your throat, and it bums me out that they dont offer them in kit form. When did people get so into RTR stuff? Kits are half the fun of this hobby, for me anyways. On the flip side, while I'd MUCH prefer an et48, the cost here in Canada is just insane. Over 800 for the tekno kit. About 750 for the RTR arrma. I'd be easy into 1200 for the tekno. 1000 for the arrma i guess after getting a new radio/servo/chassis brace.

I do already own an sct410.3, which has been abused by me, my 12 year old nephew and some other family members, and it really has taken a beating... zero issues so far. Tore it down tonight just for something to do, and found a couple loose screws. That's it. After many packs of hard running and crashes and high speed cartwheels etc. Seriously amazed by this things durability.

should I even expect an arrma to be as problem free ??

Well, decided on a MT410. Came pretty close to getting a v4 kraton, but just couldnt do it. Cant wait to build this thing!
Old 04-30-2019, 12:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A little off topic, but my current RTR vehicles don't even list what weight silicone goes in diffs and shocks, and horrible illustrated parts breakdown.

unfortunately my rtr cars aren't available in kit form. RTR might actually be cheaper to manufacturer these days, and probably have more profit.

Can't go wrong with mt410 though, if you are satisfied with current lineup of bodies available.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

I'm actually not really satisfied with what I've found for bodies.. they all seem just slightly too short. But whatever, body will get destroyed anyways. Would LOVE to find a properly sized 70's/80's Dodge truck body... if anyone knows of one.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm actually not really satisfied with what I've found for bodies.. they all seem just slightly too short. But whatever, body will get destroyed anyways. Would LOVE to find a properly sized 70's/80's Dodge truck body... if anyone knows of one.
For bodies that won't destroy themselves check out rcmaniacs or probodyrc, both have bodies that will should fit the MT410 and they are unbreakable, I've tried now I just break body mounts :/ I can't remember if they have any Dodges though.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm actually not really satisfied with what I've found for bodies.. they all seem just slightly too short.
Just bear in mind that bodies from rcmaniacs or probodyrc are even slightly shorter than the original they are moulded from.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:48 AM
Tech Champion

The best RC I ever had was an RTR - the Losi LST2. Yes, it needed a couple minor mods, but not the laundry list people on forums would tell you it needed. Some yellow or RC Raven shocks, and the New Era rollbar was a very good - albeit expensive - means of protecting things. Maybe a wing... And the radio was excellent - back when they came with Graupner XS-6s...

Some people really like bulding and fiddling and modding etc - more than others... And that's fine. People just need to realize that their approach is just that - theirs' and not everyone else's..

I sure has hell don't need a $400 or even $200 radio to drive a (2-channel electric..) toy truck around a gravel pit or whatever... The MT4 G3 came with a decent radio fwiw.
AJH387 likes this.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1 for RC Raven shocks
Old 10-30-2019, 07:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I don't know why it is so hard for some people to grasp.
You also have a really hard time grasping this as well.... you've been called out on this at least ONCE so far and I don't seem to recall you having properly responded to the call out or at least acknowledging the fault in your stance, so here it is....

YOU CANNOT COMMENT ON A VEHICLE YOU HAVE NEVER USED NOR MAKE THE CLAIMS THAT YOU HAVE BEEN MAKING NUMEROUSLY IN THIS THREAD ABOUT QUALITY AND DURABILITY.

You have CONSISTENTLY brought up the quality differences, or in certain circumstances the lackthereof considering price to value, between a Tekno MT410 and an Arrma, hammer in why you think the Arrma is the best buy for money and the number of reasons that put you off buying a Tekno with no grounds to backup your claims.
Don't get me wrong, it is quite possible to make some judgements based on some observations of a vehicle but, again, you have continued to downplay all the critical points and differences that would require one to have actually driven and bashed both vehicles equally and sufficiently to show key weaknesses and differences.

I'm ashamed of myself for reading as many of your posts that I have today, and gotten almost no value out of them as ALL your "points" or claims about Tekno are pretty much moot due not having owned a (nor seemingly driven one) Tekno. You even had the audacity to speculate that Tekno parts would be THREE times as expensive on top of all the other BS posts in this thread

This I consider to be trolling....
I will just add - I am not - or I don't mean to be - talking trash against Teknos. I am sure they are great. I would love to have one. It is just my own idiosyncratic opinion. I hope it hasn't come across too much like "I'm right, you're wrong" or whatever. That was not my intention. It's just my own personal opinion. For the money I personally would take the Arrma - and a plane or two..
Originally Posted by Vcoupe
YOU CANT COMMENT ON CARS YOU DO NOT OWN!!!
I'm also trolling due to necro'ing this thread, gg

Edit:
This is actually unbelievable. You responded to someone calling you out and you BRUSHED IT OFF? WTF?
Edit - OK, let me rephrase some of that. Sure, I'll concede - a Tekno might be marginally more durable than fill-in-the-blank RC, given normal bashing. But - to me - it's not worth the extra cost. A big part of what one is getting with that extra cost is psychological afaic - "I bought the best, so it must be the best", "it has the best materials, so must be the best", etc... But again, two similar drivers driving in similar ways are not going to notice significant differences in durability between a well-set up Kraton(diffs and shocks done up right etc..) and a comparably set up Tekno.
the rc guy likes this.

Last edited by GGRacing; 10-30-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My vote goes to Tekno. Many people think building a kit is very hard if they haven’t done it before. It’s not hard. Tekno’s come with one of the best manuals out there. I’d argue that the best basher is:

-Tekno MT410 kit
-Hobbywing Ezrun Max8 ESC
-Hobbywing Ezrun 2200kv motor
-two Pulse or SMC hardcase 4s lipos(xt90 plug)
-futaba 3pv
-KST MS3012 servo
stevenkelby likes this.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by evhexrc
My vote goes to Tekno. Many people think building a kit is very hard if they haven’t done it before. It’s not hard. Tekno’s come with one of the best manuals out there. I’d argue that the best basher is:

-Tekno MT410 kit
-Hobbywing Ezrun Max8 ESC
-Hobbywing Ezrun 2200kv motor
-two Pulse or SMC hardcase 4s lipos(xt90 plug)
-futaba 3pv
-KST MS3012 servo
What gearing for 8s?
Old 11-02-2019, 03:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Had the kraton 2 days. Within 2 battery changes. Broke one turnbuckle and front tires exploded within 30 sec of it hitting the ground. This things should come with belted tires and thicker center weight oil. The thing unloaded everything to the front end and instantly came apart.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lovestricken
Had the kraton 2 days. Within 2 battery changes. Broke one turnbuckle and front tires exploded within 30 sec of it hitting the ground. This things should come with belted tires and thicker center weight oil. The thing unloaded everything to the front end and instantly came apart.
Was that on 6s?
Old 11-02-2019, 03:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Yes 6s on all factory settings
Old 11-02-2019, 03:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lovestricken
Yes 6s on all factory settings
Well that Sucks. Hopefully you can get some warranty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.