Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree92Likes

Tekno vs Arrma

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 05:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

FWIW, at my local track (which doubles as our local hobby shop) they sell a ton or Arrma RTRs and Tekno kits. I almost always am able to get whatever I need for my 2 Teknos, with what the store stocks. And if not, I can have it in in a couple days. I have had to place an order more for my Arrma replacement parts, than the Teknos. The parts are priced about the same as well. Another thing to keep in mind, is sometimes you have to look to random spots for good Arrma upgrades. For example, I got high-quality shock towers from Voltage Hobbies and the shocks I replaced with Durango DEX 8 units (which would be tough to find now. So these are things to keep in mind. For me, the Arrma is still good out of the box to get going. And you can upgrade as you go and make a great vehicle. And it was fun for me to search around for the right mods to make it unique / different. But they are a bit trickier to find mods and to get parts for. Tekno you really don't need to mod anything, just replace stock stuff. Although there are still upgrades out there to the kit parts and obviously you would pick whatever electronics from the get-go. Aside from the shocks / towers, the Arrmas could stand a servo upgrade at some point. Also the tires are not the greatest. But the motor/esc is really strong. That is about all I can think of, at the moment.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

at this point he is just trolling. He does this on every forum since he first got into the hobby. It’s time to give up.

FYI..... I just invested ANOTHER $150.00 into my Kraton for the M2C chassis and motor mount. My Kraton is now more expensive than my Tekno, and I don’t want to hear from any Arrma fan boy that it’s not needed, because if you don’t need it then it means your idea of bashing is driving circles around your lawn like a tool.

still waiting on the motor mount...
slick2500 and Stankfinger76 like this.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

I mean if you are a 'serious basher' then you have to know going in that you are going to be replacing/upgrading, especially with a RTR. It isn't the end of the world. I think trashing your chassis plate sucks, for sure. But at the same time, it is kind of cool to get an upgraded one as needed. Part of the hobby. Same with like I had to with my shock towers. So now your Arrma is that much better and you have 1 less thing to worry about. Could be worse.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:03 AM
Tech Rookie

While we are talking about the Techno vs Arrma offerings, target markets and economics aside, perhaps someone here can say something interesting about one fundamental difference between the two:

Arrma uses a pillow ball style steering assembly while Techno uses a C block hub setup. I read that quite a bit of research was done on techno's steering geometry that was refined as part of their racing efforts, however I once read a comment on this forum (I think) there the pillow ball style steering assemble was declared superior from a simplicity, durability, and accuracy standpoint. Is that really so? Anyone want to venture into the pros and cons of either style?

I personally like the techno C block hub style as it permits camber adjustments with the upper linkage that isn't as simply done with the pillow ball setup. Or am I mistaken? I would venture that bashers aren't likely to care about camber adjustments; they will likely "adjust" things at the more basic requisite of having things merely function rather than tuning for the site/track specific performance edge.
AJH387 likes this.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think it is give an take. The Arrma set-up is directly off of the Durango race vehicles, which were also very successful. I believe Mugen also use that configuration. That style you have the double-arm set-up on each side. The Tekno obviously you are running a different style of hub and single arm with a turnbuckle. I don't really feel like there is much difference in durability. And I found the tune-ability to be comparable also. In theory the pillow-ball would be more durable just because of the extra arm, but Tekno's plastic is so good that I think they make up the difference. Also, the pillowball system, I have found that there is a fine line where you want everything tight but then you need to make sure there is no bind. Also, most of the Durango/Arrma arms that I have used seem to have a bit of slop that can develop on that top arm. I'm not totally sure if that translates into less accuracy but overall I just think there is a little more play in the pillowball configuration, so it is maybe a hair less efficient. For bashing, I honestly feel like none of this matters and both work equally well.
Micah78 and lcam88 like this.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At this point I wish I would have gone with the Tekno. I currently have more money in my Outcast than I do my real car.
Tekno ET48.3 shocks with Tekno orange springs front and rear.
Hot Racing suspension mounts.
Hot Racing Motor mount.
Hot Racing delrin/aluminum pillow ball retainers.
Hot Racing chassis braces.
GPM Racing center diff mount.
GPM Racing diff cups.
Proline Shockwave tires.
Hobbywing Max8 2200kv system.
Voltage Hobbies servo mount.
Voltage Hobbies shock towers.
Voltage Hobbies skid plates.
Voltage Hobbies front upper suspension mount.
T-Bone Racing front bumper.
Rpm a arms all around.
Rpm wing mount.
Rpm rear mud guards.
Rear cvds.
Alza Racing top plate.
Savox 1211SG servo.
Unbreakable body.
Dark Side studios body wrap.

Stankfinger76 likes this.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vcoupe

at this point he is just trolling. He does this on every forum since he first got into the hobby. It’s time to give up.

FYI..... I just invested ANOTHER $150.00 into my Kraton for the M2C chassis and motor mount. My Kraton is now more expensive than my Tekno, and I don’t want to hear from any Arrma fan boy that it’s not needed, because if you don’t need it then it means your idea of bashing is driving circles around your lawn like a tool.

still waiting on the motor mount...
I am so tempted to get one of these.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vcoupe
Fact.

And anybody that seriously thinks Arrma is as good as or better than a Tekno is also either a troll or they are just clueless.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

I don't know why it is so hard for some people to grasp. I have never said "Arrma is as good as Tekno". I have said, for the money, the Arrma is a great truck, and when considering value for money, in my personal opinion an Arrma is what I would go with.

Nobody on earth ever needed a Tekno chassis for a race truggy, just like they never needed all those other blingy "hopups" (dumbest word ever...) people used to put on Savages and Revos. If you fall down the waste-of-money-on-upgrades/"hopups"/tuning pit, that is your mistake - in my view. Some people like bling and all that, and OK, that is fine... But no way should anybody be claiming that you need that stuff to go bash and have fun with an Arrma. Set it up right - which just means making sure diffs are shimmed with the right oil, same with the shocks, and the Arrma is a great buy for the money. For some people so is the Tekno. For me personally though it's just too much money for what it is - a toy truck. And the difference in cost between an Arrma and a Tekno does not reflect the real value difference in terms of bashability - IMO. The Tekno fanboys here talk like if you get an Arrma it's going to be a constantly breaking money pit requiring hundreds of dollars in mods, and a Tekno will just last forever whatever you do...
AJH387 likes this.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I don't know why it is so hard for some people to grasp. I have never said "Arrma is as good as Tekno". I have said, for the money, the Arrma is a great truck, and when considering value for money, in my personal opinion an Arrma is what I would go with.

Nobody on earth ever needed a Tekno chassis for a race truggy, just like they never needed all those other blingy "hopups" (dumbest word ever...) people used to put on Savages and Revos. If you fall down the waste-of-money-on-upgrades/"hopups"/tuning pit, that is your mistake - in my view. Some people like bling and all that, and OK, that is fine... But no way should anybody be claiming that you need that stuff to go bash and have fun with an Arrma. Set it up right - which just means making sure diffs are shimmed with the right oil, same with the shocks, and the Arrma is a great buy for the money. For some people so is the Tekno. For me personally though it's just too much money for what it is - a toy truck. And the difference in cost between an Arrma and a Tekno does not reflect the real value difference in terms of bashability - IMO. The Tekno fanboys here talk like if you get an Arrma it's going to be a constantly breaking money pit requiring hundreds of dollars in mods, and a Tekno will just last forever whatever you do...
Yes. I own both brands and I have been saying that if you are a guy who just wants to have a good truck to have fun, the Arrma is a great option for most people. If you are the guy the wants the best basher ever, then by all means building a Tekno might be the best way to go. For me, my race vehicles get the most attention and to bash I like to tinker around but not looking to build a masterpiece. My modded Arrma has been awesome and I am very happy with it.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

although i think this thread is comical...i will hop in and say i run et shocks with custom springs on my magneto chassis (emaxx kind of thing) and wow they take an absolute beating.

Seeing the guys needing the m2c chassis shows that the arrma is fine for most but those who truly bash will need enough upgrades to make their arrma cost more then the tekno.

So no one has any bending issues with the tekno chassis? I also see m2c makes a chassis for the tekno trucks as well. Im just asking as ive been looking into another 1/8 basher as the old supermaxx parts i run on my emaxx that make it indestructable are getting harder and harder to come by these days if for some reason i break somehting.

Was looking at doing a 1/8 tekno truggy/my build
Old 04-16-2019, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

I for one find this thread really interesting. I used to race back in the day - from around 1994 to 2008. My first 'proper' RC was a Tamiya Sandscorcher.

Despite having owned dozens of RC cars, several planes and Helis, now in 2019 I have just 2 cars - my trusty Savage SS and my Baja 5B SS. I've never 'done' RTR and I've never deliberately tried to destroy my model cars. The term 'Bashing' in my mind still seems like a modern word for those that bought lots of RC gear but never chose to race - for some inexplicable reason!

Thanks to YouTube, I now see people doing the most extreme stunts, launching their cars 100 feet into the air. Brushless motors and lithium polymer batteries seem to be higher performance than IC powered cars. Everything has changed and I'm only about 11 years behind the times!

'Hop-ups' have to make the car lighter, faster, stiffer or stronger. Obviously, it doesn't hurt if they make your machine purdier. This doesn't seem to have changed.

Sadly, racing seems to have taken an enormous dump. Truth be told, even if it hadn't, it would be very unlikely that I'd ever be able to do it again on anything like a regular basis.

So, here I am looking at Arrma Krayton 6S V4, because I've never done brushless or RTR. But... Nitro is just so sexy and the Tekno NT 48.3 is such a tempting choice. On the other hand, the ET 48.3 would be a good compromise between the decadent nitro options or the sensible brushless ideal.

Reading through this is like a shot in the arm - RC'ers certainly are an opinionated bunch! All passionate about their choice of ride and setup. That hasn't changed either.

For me, if I took the plunge into Brushless Truggy, I think it would have to be the Tekno. 90% of the time, my usage would be just for fun at home, 10% racing at my local track. That and I still feel the need to build my own ride. I never did just assemble - I liked to fettle and hone.

Both the Arrma and the Tekno look like a lot of fun. It's amazing that you can get an RTR that can hit 60mph straight out of the box. The Tekno could do the same on 6S, but after a nice satisfying build.

I obviously don't have either Truggy. But I'd happily own either - or better still - both! Lol. So hopefully that qualifies me to comment here.

Thanks for all the excellent info.
AJH387 and ray4624 like this.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

Interesting thread.

I am in the market for a truggy, purely for bashing. Seriously considering the v4 arrma kraton. I'm afraid I wont be happy with it out of the box, I'm POSITIVE I wont want anything to do with the crappy radio they force down your throat, and it bums me out that they dont offer them in kit form. When did people get so into RTR stuff? Kits are half the fun of this hobby, for me anyways. On the flip side, while I'd MUCH prefer an et48, the cost here in Canada is just insane. Over 800 for the tekno kit. About 750 for the RTR arrma. I'd be easy into 1200 for the tekno. 1000 for the arrma i guess after getting a new radio/servo/chassis brace.

I do already own an sct410.3, which has been abused by me, my 12 year old nephew and some other family members, and it really has taken a beating... zero issues so far. Tore it down tonight just for something to do, and found a couple loose screws. That's it. After many packs of hard running and crashes and high speed cartwheels etc. Seriously amazed by this things durability.

should I even expect an arrma to be as problem free ??
Old 04-26-2019, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BlairW
Interesting thread.

......When did people get so into RTR stuff? Kits are half the fun of this hobby, for me anyways. On the flip side, while I'd MUCH prefer an et48, the cost here in Canada is just insane. Over 800 for the tekno kit.....
I couldn't agree more - building it, fettling it, understanding how the machine works AND THEN being rewarded with the driving/racing side of things was what it was all about when I started.

I'm not sure if this instant gratification thing is really doing anyone any good, but I suppose the sport of RC now competes with lots of other modern stuff (like Pc's, smart phones and games consoles) which changes the game considerably from when I got into it

Thankfully, we still have Kits - I hear the New Mugen MBX8 NT is soon to be released too. Tough call between them all.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlairW
Interesting thread.

I am in the market for a truggy, purely for bashing. Seriously considering the v4 arrma kraton. I'm afraid I wont be happy with it out of the box, I'm POSITIVE I wont want anything to do with the crappy radio they force down your throat, and it bums me out that they dont offer them in kit form. When did people get so into RTR stuff? Kits are half the fun of this hobby, for me anyways. On the flip side, while I'd MUCH prefer an et48, the cost here in Canada is just insane. Over 800 for the tekno kit. About 750 for the RTR arrma. I'd be easy into 1200 for the tekno. 1000 for the arrma i guess after getting a new radio/servo/chassis brace.

I do already own an sct410.3, which has been abused by me, my 12 year old nephew and some other family members, and it really has taken a beating... zero issues so far. Tore it down tonight just for something to do, and found a couple loose screws. That's it. After many packs of hard running and crashes and high speed cartwheels etc. Seriously amazed by this things durability.

should I even expect an arrma to be as problem free ??
I got it to the hobby in 2011. RTR were taking over at that time. You could find kits, but the numbers were dropping. While a few tried offering kit versions, (Hpi Savage xs Kit) it didn’t sell. I know the controller thing has always been a complaint. I’ve gotten used to it. Probably got 50-60 different controllers currently, possibly more. The cost to replace that many receivers is too much. And I’ve yet to really find one controller that it would be worth even considering.

There were a few bind-n-drive vehicles back when I started. But not for long. I have always thought this could and should be an option. Even if it’s a special order, not something that a store would keep in stock.

I know the whole “build and you learn how it work” thing. But I found that it works similar if you repair what you break.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.