Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XXL 2E Hex wrench sizes

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 01:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default XXL 2E Hex wrench sizes

Hey all, ive tried 3 different forums, 2 LHS, and now just gave up on Losi CS after being on in que for over 1.5hrs trying to find out what sizes the hex/allen wrenches are that come with the RTR XXL 2E. The manual is so vague as to what sizes are for what screw that I cant figure it out from that source either.

Basically the RTR come with 5 standard, cheap, L-type allen/hex wrenches. My budget after buying the truck, lipos, chargers, etc etc is over blown at this point so I have very little if any left for tools. I would like to buy a good hex set but all the sets are either 3-piece or 4-piece. So I'd be missing a 5th size. I dont want to waste money on getting a set that doesnt include the sizes I need so Im here asking for you folks' help.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

While I am not 100% sure, this should cover it:

http://www.davesmotors.com/DDM-Allen...-3-4-5mm-.html
Old 03-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Tech Rookie

As far as Ive been told, Losi uses SAE size hexes. Are these the same or is mm Metric?
Old 03-26-2016, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

It does use standard size indeed, so you can not use the metric system.
Although the manual calls for a 1.5 and 2.5mm to, the Standard sizes are .050-inch, 1/16-inch, 5/64-inch, 3/32-inch, for the screws.
I use this set, it works great for me:

http://www.team-eds.com/product-p/eds-110882.htm

Hope it helps you!

Ruud
Old 03-26-2016, 05:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Thats great, thanks for the help! Although thats only 4 sizes, the RTR kit comes with 5 different hex sizes. Do you know what the 5th size is?

I found this 5 pc set from the link you left www(dot)team-eds(dot)com/product-p/eds-110881(dot)htm
Old 03-26-2016, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

If you have time to wait till mon afternoon. I'll bring my set home from work on mon. Then I'll check them.
Post back then with sizes.
Best I can do.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 47yok
If you have time to wait till mon afternoon. I'll bring my set home from work on mon. Then I'll check them.
Post back then with sizes.
Best I can do.
Yes, if you can write down all 5 sizes that would be awesome. It seems I can only get an answer on 4/5 sizes with no information on the 5th size. So anything at this point will be a big help. Thanks
Old 03-26-2016, 09:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just looked at the manual on losi website and it's pretty small as far as manuals go. On losi website it only lots of sizes under the optional tools. Usually the L style wrenches have a size stamped on them. Try to look for that. The only thing I could see is they look like some of the set screws are metric. I'm interested to see if anyone knows. Sucks that you've wasted all this time for what is seemingly a simple question.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:04 AM
Tech Addict

Hmm, with the set I linked I can disassemble the whole car.
Do you have a caliper?
Maybe one of them is metric, maybe for the screws in the motormount?
The manual of the normal XXL is better:

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LSTXXLManual.pdf
Old 03-27-2016, 07:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ghonda99
I just looked at the manual on losi website and it's pretty small as far as manuals go. On losi website it only lots of sizes under the optional tools. Usually the L style wrenches have a size stamped on them. Try to look for that. The only thing I could see is they look like some of the set screws are metric. I'm interested to see if anyone knows. Sucks that you've wasted all this time for what is seemingly a simple question.
I feel the same way. It is something so unbelievably simple but yet NOBODY seems to have a straight answer on the exact sizes of all 5 allen wrenches. This has boggled my mind and I have searched all over for an answer and have gotten nowhere.

The allen wrenches are so small, and cheap, that having a stamp of size on them isnt feasable. Thats the first place I looked. Also, is it really that hard to just list the tools included in the manual? There is plenty of blank/extra space that they could have easily done this.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ruudxd
Hmm, with the set I linked I can disassemble the whole car.
Do you have a caliper?
Maybe one of them is metric, maybe for the screws in the motormount?
The manual of the normal XXL is better:

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LSTXXLManual.pdf
Sadly I dont have any calipers. It may just be that the 5th size is metric, but then again, Losi does NOTHING to tell you this anywhere within the information provided with the 2E.

EDIT: After reading through that XXL manual I am shocked as to why the 2E manual is just plain trash in comparison. After reading about needing " Quality .050-inch, 1/16-inch, 5/64-inch, 3/32-inch, 1.5mm and 2.5mm hex (Allen) drivers" I will feel better about ordering a 4 set of the SAE sizes and buying the two metric individually and call it good.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:36 AM
Tech Addict

Yes, the XXL manual is quite a bit better indeed, that is where I qouted the sizes from
Old 03-27-2016, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The xxl manual is a lot better. If you are looking for good quality tools that won't break the bank. Check out thsracing.com. I've used their interchangeable driver for years. It comes with 4 bits and a handle. Our they just have regular hex drivers too. But they are quality and have lasted me a long time.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

I got 1/16 for small screws in chassis.
3/32 for esc,shocks and towers.
5/64 on /off switch.
Then 2.5 mm for set screws on driveshafts.
That's what I found so far. Don't want take it apart. Charging packs.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 47yok
I got 1/16 for small screws in chassis.
3/32 for esc,shocks and towers.
5/64 on /off switch.
Then 2.5 mm for set screws on driveshafts.
That's what I found so far. Don't want take it apart. Charging packs.
Awesome, thanks! I ordered a 4 set of Protek Hex wrenches. .50, 1/16, 3/32, 5/64. Also ordered a 1.5mm and a 2.5mm just to cover anything not SAE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.