Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Offical Mini LST Thread (I hope)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Tech Adept

OOOO I want one now...

Anyways, how long do you expect until hop-ups will be on the market?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

Matt if you are racing sunday bring that beast with you! I thought that If I got a mini it would have to be something that I could bash and race. They definetly look cool.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

aww man! i really want one now! but from what i am hearing the material/parts quality is pretty poor. wheels cracking, wheel hexes(just mentioned), radio tray, etc...plus, i just got a new buggy last month, and you know who wont like that!
Old 11-26-2005, 08:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macnkitty2002
aww man! i really want one now! but from what i am hearing the material/parts quality is pretty poor. wheels cracking, wheel hexes(just mentioned), radio tray, etc...plus, i just got a new buggy last month, and you know who wont like that!
My daughter has been bouncing the mini lst off the walls of our house for the past day and nothing is broke on the truck. The wheel hexes were identified as a manufacturer defect and if you call losi they will take care of you. In the mean time you just have to put a small washer between the hex and the wheel and it's fine. I think alot of peoples problems are caused from putting in bigger motors and bashing it like the truck is supposed to be indestructable, which nothing is. I'm happy with mine, it's quicker than I thought it would be, and seems durable enough so far.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:18 AM
Tech Initiate

After running the truck through several battery cycles I am pretty dissapointed (the wife is too...). We are getting 10 minutes at best with the original battery and another battery that we had in a Mini-T. In the Mini-T that battery ran for about 40 minutes so I was hoping for 20 minutes.

Someone mentioned that by using a peak charger they were getting better runtimes. That is how I am charging them but at 1 to 1.5 amps. I charge my stick packs at 4 amps and get good runtime in my Associated T4 so I know the charger is good.

I am either just going to sell this truck and go ahead and get her an E-Maxx... or I may try LiPo's. Unfortunately that means I will have to buy a new charger so I don't know it that is really worth trying.

The truck is a blast to run though so I don't know... We did have a ballcap pop off like was mentioned by one of the other members but it snapped right back on and hasn't been a problem since.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

I just picked up my mini lst from my LHS. I had run a demo before, and running this one I could tell the ballcup thing was gonna be a big problem. They come off WAY to easily, and they are kind a pain to get back on.

Without even reading the problems people had with the stock wheels or hexes, I bought a set of TC3 hexes, and they fit really nicely on the stock axles. On some wheels (I think the backs?) I had to put washers behind the drivepins so it wouldnt wobble so much. Then I put TC3 wheels on, and mounted HPI Rally tires and foams on em. It looks REALLY sweet. Now I've got a whole huge range of wheels and tires to choose from, and I dont have to worry about the expensive prices of mini wheels and tires.

In regards to the battery life, I've gotten 20 minutes or so out of mine no problem.

This truck is so sweet. VERY powerful, VERY fast, and it comes with all the sweet features.

The synth radio is pretty cool, but I dont like the fact that you can only run 6 mlst's at a time.

Losi is planning on bringing out the anodized chassis, sway bar kit, upgraded 'insane motors' and some other little mods, but I've heard rumors of full carbon fiber kits for it and threaded aluminum shocks.

I'd highly recommend you guys converting to the tc3 or tc4 hexes. Its a nice little mod.

-Brandon
Old 11-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

really? tc3 hexes are a little big, arent they? are the stock hexes the same size as the tc3, meaning can you use the stock tires on them? also, didn't you have to change the gear ratio with the 1/10 tires? or are they about the same size?
Old 11-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by macnkitty2002
really? tc3 hexes are a little big, arent they? are the stock hexes the same size as the tc3, meaning can you use the stock tires on them? also, didn't you have to change the gear ratio with the 1/10 tires? or are they about the same size?

The TC3 hexes are a lot bigger then the stock ones, but they work perfectly. Because they are so big they are also quite strong. I could of used the TC3 drive pins also, but I didnt want to spend anymore money. I did not have to change my gear ratio at all, the stock tires are a bit bigger then the 1/10th touring, but not by much. However the touring tires are much skinnier, and weigh less. I've driven it pretty thoroughly with this setup and it works VERY nicely. I get much more response out of it then I would with the bigger tires, and you'd be amazed the grip I get on my living room carpet!

Plus, the rally hpi tires look SO SWEET!

-Brandon
Old 11-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Tech Adept

I was the one getting 20 minute runs on one battery with peak charging charging it. Try charging at 2 amps thoughs, but keep on eye on the temp of the battery. I mean Im using the 7.2V 1100Ni-MH 6 cell packs the one that came with the truck and one for the Mini-T. It is also all about terrain, I have been running mainly inside on carpert becasue it has been snowing or too cold out side, so Im not able to get up to full throttle and stuff. I'm sure thats playing a role in my run times as well. Well anyway I should some IB1200s in a few days, and that should help me get some great runs as well.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

More amps = more punch, less runtime
Less amps = less punch and more runtime

I am not shure what charger you are running... but if it is a Lrp I would set the delta peak to 5 or 10. That could be a big factor in having the battery be as productive as you like. If you don't have a good charger don't mess aroung with cheap ones. They don't have the ability to charge these batteries right ( I mainly mean the hobbico series). I would suggest the DuraTrax ICE, it is about $125 but is totally worth. It it will charge about anything from Ni-Cd to Li-Poly batteries.
I really think that this truck is cool keep me posted guys, I won't be able to touch one until December 25th...
Old 11-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Tech Initiate

I am running a Duratrax Intellipeak Deluxe Pulse Charger. I was using it with the AC transformer at first then tried running it DC off of my pickup battery at 2 amps. I did get more punch and stightly improved runtime but was still dissapointed... only about 11 or 12 minutes. I am running on a combination of concrete, pavement, gravel and a little grass but trying to stay out of the grass.

As far as the charger... yeah I want to get an ICE but right now I don't really have the money especially if I end up getting the wife an E-maxx or something like it. Speaking of which what do you guys think of the Traxxas Stampede? I don't mean to hijack the thread... was just curious
Old 11-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

I totally understand.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

bowles2 - the stampede ROCKS. Pretty damn good for a traxxas producT!

I was running my mlst on ice today, its pretty sweet! Especially looks cool with my rally tires on it. They do wobble a lot though. I dont know why (somebody said earlier that this is common with mlst's?). I've put spacers in between the bearing and the drive pin, and nothing really helps it.. Not a big deal though cause this thing will still rip, its just bad for the eyes

I charge my batts at 1amp, and they seem to rip pretty good. Lasts pretty long too. Long enough that, because its so cold outside, I come back in with my face cold as ice, and my fingers are numb. I'd assume thats between 20 and 25 minutes. I can't wait to get a lipo.

I've noticed the dual motors get really hot. Even when I'm running them in 20 degree weather they get pretty hot. Not quite hot enough to melt the solder, but hot enough to burn you pretty good if you touch them. I think this is the way with all dual motor set ups. I know when i had my emaxx those twin titans would get SO hot I thought they were gonna explode, and I talked to a guy at my LHS, and he said he's seen them get so hot they actually do melt the solder off, but they work just fine after that. These motors in the mlst remind me a lot of scaled down versions of a titan motor. The fan system inside the motor even looks the same.

Can these batts handle charging at like 4 amps? It would be nice if they do. I dont care if I get less run time. I mean if I'm getting a lot more rip out of them, and they charge in like 20 minutes instead of an hour or so, I'd get more run time in the long run. I know the nimh cells I use in my big trucks can handle up to 6 amps, can these scaled down ones too?

-Brandon
Old 11-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When you rip around on ice, the motors spin more, and theu cant really get a load so they just spin faster and they get hotter.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:16 PM
Tech Adept

Right, I understand that, but I ran it through about half the battery pack inside my house on carpet and they still got just as hot. I dont necessarily think this is a problem, but I would think that much heat could eventually cause less life from the motors. (not that i care.. the motors are like 10 bucks new anyways! PLus I'm gonna get the insane motors).

-Brandon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.