Wiki Posts
Search

Bending driveshafts back?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:38 AM
Tech Addict

Default Bending driveshafts back?

Hello,

I have a little bend in a driveshaft of my Muggy.
It is not enough to replace it, but it is enough to anoy me
Is there an easy way to straighten it back a bit?
I know there will always be a weakspot, but it is just a little bent.
Does anyone know a adress where you can buy a couple of LST2/Muggy center driveshafts, for not that much money?
I have a couple of old ones, with worn down pins, I have the Mugen replacement pins for them, but I can't get myself over to spend 60 dollar on the tool when I only use it a couple of times.
Any one any DIY tips?
I saw a motorcycle chain tool for not that much, but shipping kills it for me, being in The Netherlands.

Thanks in advance!

Ruud
Old 01-21-2016, 07:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just picked these up last week: http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/products...e-shafts-boots

Not sure if the XXL shafts are longer than the LST2. But not bad for $33 for 2.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Just lay the driveshaft on a steel vice or something similar. Rotate it so the bent part sticks up. Take a hammer and tap it till it's flat. Then you can rotate and tap at the same time until it's perfect. I do this to my out drives on my RC8T when they bend. It seems like whenever I start jumping it and getting big air all it takes is one bad landing to bend a shaft. It's never been enough to notice while driving though.

Last edited by Micah78; 01-21-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Micah78
Just lay the driveshaft on a steel vice or something similar. Rotate it so the bent part sticks up. Take a hammer and tap it till it's flat. Then you can rotate and tap at the same time until it's perfect. I do this to my out drives on my RC8T when they bend. It seems like whenever I start jumping it and getting big air all it takes is one bad landing to bend a shaft. It's never been enough to notice while driving through.
I do the same thing
Old 01-21-2016, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by werner sline
I do the same thing
Agreed. Hammer them out. It could weaken them though.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tbyrne1976
Agreed. Hammer them out. It could weaken them though.
It does, but unless the shaft is so bent it's a hard turn or is also twisted you'll never notice the decrease in strength. If anything it'll bend easier (at the previous bend) in an impact and if it does bend it back until it breaks.

I use the same method on shock shafts and haven't noticed any decrease in strength. And if you go slow with light taps you won't deform the shaft (at least not as much) decreasing the chance for leaks.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Overdriven
It does, but unless the shaft is so bent it's a hard turn or is also twisted you'll never notice the decrease in strength. If anything it'll bend easier (at the previous bend) in an impact and if it does bend it back until it breaks.

I use the same method on shock shafts and haven't noticed any decrease in strength. And if you go slow with light taps you won't deform the shaft (at least not as much) decreasing the chance for leaks.
Agreed. I'm the type that will bend it straight over and over till it breaks lol! Conversely, I've snapped the ball end off of several brand new out drives but never broke one where it had previously bent and I straightened it.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

I think if driveshaft didn't bend, it's the outdrive cup of the diffs that would break !

you can continue to drive with a bent driveshaft, but not with a broken diff cup !
Old 01-22-2016, 04:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

To replace the driveshaft pin, you just position your new pin in a vice to push out the old pin and then it will slide right in. I use an ink pen top as the hole for it to fall in to.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

You are obvious not readin the right threads :P

For my MP9e:

-CVD's out!!

-Some degreses or WD40 alike!

-4mm socket and a hammer!

-Drill a 3mm hole on a heavy screw to fit the pin for not falling off the vice!

-New in, old out!!

-Don't need the screw anymore!

-New pin on the axle!

Now for the front of the MP9e...

-Some minutes on WD40 alike....

~
-Socket 4mm and an hammer...

-See?

Done!

NOW for my Xray808e...
Tought job!

-First thing. Remove the central shafts!

-Go for the rear now! :P

-It must be an heavy hammer. A normal hammer won't do nothing... just tickles! Used an 4mm socket to hold the shaft on hammering!

-The easy part is done.

-That screw with a pin, i used a 3mm steel drill to make the hole for the pin! Reason is to hold it on the vise.

-All aligned and brute force on the vice...

-Since the new pin starts and grabs the hole, i prefer to remove them from the vice and hammer on the sock!

-Did the same to the front!

-Done!

NOW for My Mugen MBX6T

-New pin on the front CVD.

New pin on the rear cvd to!

-Done! New Pins on the center CVD's.

Hope that helps...

Also see these videos:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

-Bare hands....

-With tools...
+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video
Old 01-22-2016, 10:43 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the tips guys!
The XXL axles are longer, I could try one, but I am afraid it will break a cup when the chassis flexes, if it fits.
So the advice is, if the bent is not to bad, don't remove it, so you don't make that spot weaker?
It is just I slight bent, so not in one specific place?
That is what I was afraid for to.

Thanks for the awesome write up for the pins!
I will have to try that out!
When you are mounting the pins in, do you use Loctite?
I saw the Mugen tool indeed, but 50 bucks for the couple of times I use is to much for me unfortunaly.
Just to be sure, you hammer it out half way, and then put a new pin in the heavy screw, line it up, and then press it in?
When I am home, I will watch the videos!

Thanks guys!