Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 octane conversion, possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default 1/8 octane conversion, possible?

Hey guys, I have a cen colossus here with a seized motor. So....I can go brushless and spend way too much money doing so...or....I was thinking of buying the savage or xxl-2 octane motor and using that. Does anyone know if there is any reason I couldn't do that?

I want gas for any number of reasons, and I like the cen...so why not? Please bear in mind I've never run a nitro anything so I am clueless on this.

Thanks!

Last edited by lemonader83; 10-06-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

The good news is that the CEN drivetrain is tough enough to handle the motor, but you would definitely have some serious fab work to do.

I think it would only be a good project if you like brain storming on a serious project. Otherwise, it's more cost effective to buy another nitro motor or just move on to a gas truck.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

How much fab work you thinking? I stared at the two motors for hours and they are surprisingly similar outside of the exhaust port

The cen cost me $100 so I'm not knee deep yet...
Old 10-06-2014, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lemonader83
How much fab work you thinking? I stared at the two motors for hours and they are surprisingly similar outside of the exhaust port

The cen cost me $100 so I'm not knee deep yet...
The Savage Octane engine is 15cc vs 7.7cc for the CEN. The 15cc is going to have a wider crankcase. Figure on using the Savage engine mounts which thankfully attach to the chassis on a flat horizontal plate. Maybe you'll get lucky and just be able to drill the CEN engine mounting plate but you'll likely have to make a new one. The thing I'm a little worried about is the exhaust. The CEN chassis has the engine on the left side of the chassis in the Savage Octane the engine is basically centered in the chassis. Since the exhaust exits the right side of the engine the exhaust may need to be extended to reach far enough to the right side of the CEN chassis. This requires some cutting and welding. The rest of the fabrication is fairly simple, drill holes, make brackets to hold the CDI box and fuel tank in it's new location.

The Losi XXL2 engine should be a bit easier. You'll still likely need to make a new engine mounting plate but the fuel tank can stay where it is. The exhaust will be easier too, just swap the XXL2 header for a buggy/truggy header, just be sure to use the XXL2 tuned pipe not one meant for a nitro.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Very interesting. So the question to follow is two fold.

Where to get a decent price on the motor, and how can I make it even more powerful? I haven't seen any motor mods yet..

Thanks overdriven, this is really helpful!
Old 10-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i wouldnt run the hpi motor.. its a very low revving motor and needs that 3 speed transmission on the savage.. http://dollarhobbyz.com/losi/lst-xxl...heel-more.html be better off using that

http://dollarhobbyz.com/losi/lst-xxl...-unit-cdi.html
Old 10-08-2014, 03:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As an owner of both of these trucks in question, I would highly recommend against using the XXL-2 engine. I am on my 3rd truck (4 engines total) like a lot of others and I have ZERO confidence this thing is going to last. Actually so much so, that I will be converting mine to nitro this winter.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Never Satisfied
As an owner of both of these trucks in question, I would highly recommend against using the XXL-2 engine. I am on my 3rd truck (4 engines total) like a lot of others and I have ZERO confidence this thing is going to last. Actually so much so, that I will be converting mine to nitro this winter.
While I question what you're doing with it to be blowing all these motors up...my guess is that given I have no knowledge of nitro or gas motors outside of my lawn mower.........this may be a bad idea!?

Idk...I watched videos for a long time last night and I see no speed from octane or nitro in a MT format. Both looks like total turds. Perhaps I need to look to 1/5 scale (zenoah) for any real power like I'm used to with electric???????
Old 10-08-2014, 05:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lemonader83
While I question what you're doing with it to be blowing all these motors up...my guess is that given I have no knowledge of nitro or gas motors outside of my lawn mower.........this may be a bad idea!?

Idk...I watched videos for a long time last night and I see no speed from octane or nitro in a MT format. Both looks like total turds. Perhaps I need to look to 1/5 scale (zenoah) for any real power like I'm used to with electric???????
Are you serious? You question what I'm doing to be "blowing up" all these motors and then in the next sentence admit to knowing nothing about nitro or gas? I realize I should just consider the source, but I take offense to your comment. I'm not a subject matter expert, but I assure you I have more than enough knowledge to run and maintain these little engines. Have you actually read the thread on the XXL-2? I guess the long list of us with multiple failed engines are just inept.
I was simply trying to offer some advice, so best of luck with your Zenoah powered Colossus.

Also, if your post was not intended that way, I apologize in advance.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Apology accepted as I meant no offense whatsoever. Actually, I was wondering if you were blasting on it doing bashing or top speeds or what. Sorry man, jeez....
Old 10-08-2014, 05:27 AM
Tech Regular

Eh, you'd be a little sensitive too if you'd been through all the crap we've been through. All of my engines broke the exact same way and that was rod failure before I could even run it through the 8 tank break-in period.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

I'd be sensitive, yes. What's odd is all the nitro and gas guys seem overly sensitive on this site, especially in the mt category.

Why so serious....?

Anywho...this project is getting scrapped for now....if you guys say the motors are junk then I'll just let it sit until Losis engineers figure it out. So I'll be waiting a while
Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Lemonader83.... It's time for e-power.

That might not be you're thing, but the conversion kit that CEN sells is pretty solid and would a nice project.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

I already have two e-powered trucks time machine....and I LOVE them. But I desperately want something I can fill up at the gas station
Old 10-08-2014, 10:48 AM
EG1
Tech Regular

But you still have to deal with oil/premix. I'd just throw in an LRP nitro mill, there cheap and it will be an improvement over the CEN 7.7

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.