Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Muding?  I was thinking of buying a truck for this. >

Muding? I was thinking of buying a truck for this.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Muding? I was thinking of buying a truck for this.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Tech Adept

Default Muding? I was thinking of buying a truck for this.

But im not sure what would be good. Any help would be great.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Tech Addict

what kind of truck is it
Old 09-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Im thinking of buying an emaxx but i like the chassis upgrades for the clod buster.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Tech Adept

What do you mean by Muding?
If you mean Mud Bashing, you do not want an Electric truck.
That just means more bits that have to be waterproofed.
You would want a Big Block Nitro For Mud bashing, Torqe is going to be your main concideration.
So you wouldn't want a nimble truck like a revo, but more of the Monster GT Or Savage, or if you are going totaly insane one of the Duel Engine Monsters.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Tech Addict

get a big block nitro like the savage .28
Old 09-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Tech Adept

Well a dual engine truck would rule but it seems like 1/8 scale buggies are just god, not for mudding but in general alot of fun.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Legato
Well a dual engine truck would rule but it seems like 1/8 scale buggies are just god, not for mudding but in general alot of fun.
This may be true, but you would not want a Buggy for Mudbashing, you would want something with Bigger Rubber and More ground clearance

Buggies and Mudbashing are very much at diferent ends of the off road spectrum.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

I'm not to sure about the nitro idea. An E-MAXX would out-pull a REVO or T-MAXX any day of the week. An electric motor's torque starts as soon as the motor turns, while a nitro mill has to work towards developing it's peak torque. Can a T-MAXX flip itself over onto it's lid (without moving forward an inch) from a dead stop? I didn't think so.

A nitro also requires more work, which can lead to premature engine faliure when the owner gets tired of maintaining it. All you have to do with the E-MAXX is stick the reciever in a balloon and use a couple rubber bands to wrap around the wire leads, and mabey devise a plastic guard fot the ESC (which uses screw holes instead of tape, so your already halfway there).

The E-MAXX isn't exactly a picnic to work on however, and it does have it's weak spots. The bulkheads, the driveshafts, and the bumper's and mounts just to name a few. A center skid is a good idea to keep the tranny safe and stiffen up the bottom chassis braces. I am not just saying that because we make center skids, they really do help. Other than that, all I can really see as a problem would be the steering servo. The servo is a bit weak (like most RTR Monster Trucks) and it could use a protective guard.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

For Mud Bashing you need a certain amount of Torque, and then you are wanting a high turn rate to "Paddlesteam" your way through nasty muck.

I would fear having an Electric truck in Mud.

I agree that any truck would want a servo upgrade. There is a servo bash plate available for the Maxx and yeah it would be recomended. for Mud Bashing I'd recomend some plastic and/or Leak sealant to realy protect the servo because of it's location
Old 09-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Being a fellow E-MAXX owner, I'm sure you too can appreciate the versatility of a MAXX truck. I have driven my MAXX through 6-12 inches of New England snow, and can tell you first hand that just as long as you sit the truck upsidown in the bathtub and let it drip dry, the electronics will survive the punishment. If you want to see some electric mud bogging check out this link: http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model...486&id=45&vb=t.

I would be more worried about flooding a nitro with one good flip in the nasty stuff, than reaching the stall torque of a pair of 14 volt Titan motors. I agree that it is harder to seal an electric truck, but it is easier to repair, maintain, and operate. You don't have to tune an engine, replace clutch shoes, oil clutch bearings, clean air filters, or care for one way bearings all day long. It's just plug and play. Charge and go. You still need a battery for a stock LST I believe, and a TRX EZ-Start also needs a 7.2 Volt battery as well. Why not get 2 GP3300's and a Dynamite Twin Peak and let the party begin? Your already half way there right?

If I had to go nitro, the Savage would be my choice. The .46 is just insane. The MGT just seems like a larger T-MAXX clone, as does the Terra Crusher. The LST seems a bit overkill for mudding. It's just too much of a racer and not enough of a basher to go through the mud like a taller truck. The REVO seems a bit small too. It's a great truck but I just don't see it doing the same stuff through mud as the Savage.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

They are some sweet pics!

So you are telling me they are all Electric?
I am impressed.
I think it is time for me to start looking at waterproofing options for my max
Apparently the MGT Has some fundamentle diferences like the bumpers mounts going through to the main chassis instead of the bulkhead, I asked this question on a MGT Thread here, and the respondent was convinced they were distinctly diferent beast.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Yup, those are all Tamiya Bruiser's, Hilux's and Mountaneer's. I own a Bruiser and have tried this trick before. 3 inches of water won't stop this, and with locked axles (Never had any diffs) and a 3 speed manual with 4WD Low, these things were almost literaly unstopable. Tamiya actually made a promotional video of 14 of these truck pulling a full size Toyota Hilux. Pretty freaky if you ask me.

It's nice to know that Team Associated fixed that problem people were having with the MAXX trucks. I hate the way Traxxas did that, because I've broken 2 braces and bent 8 screws! 3 have sheared off inside the mounts! This whole ordeal has caused me to bend my $50 aluminum bulkheads!

I'm not disagreeing that nitro would rock in the mud, I just figured that an electric car would be best suited to the task. It's less work the owner has to do, it's pretty much plug and play, and when something does go wrong, changing brushes and springs is a whole lot cheaper than a piston and sleeve. A GP3300 pack is also cheaper than the 3 gallons of fuel you tear through before your engine starts to lose it's pinch. If I was going to go nitro, I think the Savage would be my pick though. Very nice series of trucks.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

is there anyone that sells waterproffing boxes for you rx and esc and such? i would like to have some ideas i plan on also mudding with my emaxx
Old 09-19-2005, 07:28 PM
Tech Regular

if you put you elec in a ballon cant that cause things to overheat?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

O.K. Lets talk Waterproofing for a Maxx then...
Proofing your Gearchange Servo, Reciever and ESC Would be prety easy.

But What about your stearing servo, Batteries (And here comes the big one) Motors. How do you keep them safe, Especially the motors without stopping all air flow to them???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.