Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Losi XXL-2!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Rookie

I have run 10 tanks on my truck. No problem with the engine but a faulty wiring in the "box" causes the wiring to burn out. The RX, CDI no longer work and I have a zapped lipo which I've kept in a concrete container, just in case, it blow up or something......oh mine...

My first truck...disappointing.

I have contacted Horizon Hobby, having heard so much goods of their customer service. I do hope they have a resolution for me.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Another connecting rod story here.

Since I just got the truck, I was hoping it would be from a later batch with better parts. I've bought it from a small hobby shop so it could be that it's from an early batch.

I've been following the break-in procedure exactly as in the manual. It seems to be the updated manual as it has LSN 30 and HSN 18. Everything went well during the first tank and then while running eights with the second tank, suddenly the engine died. Even with all the complaints around here, I feel that it's somehow my fault. It was very cold outside (40F) and maybe I should have let it get up to temperature a little before driving it. Also maybe I should have set the needles a little richer for the first few tanks.

On the other hand, I've got to give credit to Horizon customer support. I've opened a service ticket on Friday afternoon, then I've called the hotline, I told the guy my ticket number and he was immediately on it. I had a few options: either send in the truck/motor or open it up and they would send me the parts. I had no problems with repairing it myself so I opened up the engine, sent pictures and the very next day he called me and said I would have the parts in the mail in a few days. His name is Kent and he was really straightforward and helpful.

After replacing the parts, for the new break-in session I am thinking about going much easier on the engine. Maybe just run it slowly with just a few blips of throttle for the first tank and then take it faster more gradually...
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXL-2!!!-img_4126.jpg   Losi XXL-2!!!-img_4129.jpg   Losi XXL-2!!!-img_4131.jpg   Losi XXL-2!!!-img_4134.jpg   Losi XXL-2!!!-img_4136.jpg  

Old 12-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Any ideas if there is a pull-start which would fit this engine?
Old 12-24-2014, 03:31 AM
Tech Adept

Maybe this will help, this is the roto/pull starter from Losi 454. However, it is not recommended to use it primary as pull starter, but only as a backup. You can use any other pull starter as long as it has the same distances between screws and the same shaft
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXL-2!!!-imag0917.jpg   Losi XXL-2!!!-imag0918.jpg   Losi XXL-2!!!-imag0919.jpg  
Old 12-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tzicul
Maybe this will help, this is the roto/pull starter from Losi 454. However, it is not recommended to use it primary as pull starter, but only as a backup. You can use any other pull starter as long as it has the same distances between screws and the same shaft
It looks like I have the same dimensions. I wonder why they haven't fitted one stock on the XXL 2?
Why is it not recommended to use the pull starter? It doesn't spin the motor fast enough?

Multam
Old 12-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by victoras_h
It looks like I have the same dimensions. I wonder why they haven't fitted one stock on the XXL 2?
Why is it not recommended to use the pull starter? It doesn't spin the motor fast enough?

Multam
It seems the mechanics inside is too complex to withstand the forces for a long time. And it is, trust me! I repaired it once and hopefully it was the last time Lots of springs, shoes, main spring and so on. Took me 2-3 hours to put it back together. Try find a replacement on dollarhobbyz, they have good deals sometime.
Cu plăcere
Old 12-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Geez, it is trully a bummer this truck seem to have some reliability issues. I was very excited to see this platform back. I hope Losi can correct this in the near future. I wonder how one of the guys who initially tested it was able to put 20 gallons through this engine? (Losi Tech)
Old 12-27-2014, 04:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Glad I saw this! My nephew had just asked my opinion on these and hadn't owned one yet.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I think we shouldn't draw these conclusions about the truck. I'm starting to be more and more convinced that all this is NOT a connecting rod issue, but instead it's from a flawed break-in procedure.

The procedure recommended in the manual seems to be much too aggressive and will lead to the rod failure. With new connecting-rod/piston/sleeve, I did the break-in differently: first two tanks with the wheels off the ground, mostly idle with some gentle accelerations not more than a quarter travel. On the third tank, I put it on the wheels and drove it around lightly, using not more than half throttle and for only a couple of seconds at a time while monitoring often the temperatures. Maybe worth noting is that being cold outside, I used every time before starting, an engine heater.

So far it's working properly, starting to get more and more powerful and fast. Also, I did my first DIY mod to it, a simple aluminum roll-bar to protect the engine head.
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXL-2!!!-img_4158.jpg   Losi XXL-2!!!-img_4159.jpg  
Old 01-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Mine just went recently too, I just sent them the whole motor.
What parts did they send you to replace? I'd have really like to not break in a whole new motor again if I didn't have to
Another connecting rod story here.

Since I just got the truck, I was hoping it would be from a later batch with better parts. I've bought it from a small hobby shop so it could be that it's from an early batch.

I've been following the break-in procedure exactly as in the manual. It seems to be the updated manual as it has LSN 30 and HSN 18. Everything went well during the first tank and then while running eights with the second tank, suddenly the engine died. Even with all the complaints around here, I feel that it's somehow my fault. It was very cold outside (40F) and maybe I should have let it get up to temperature a little before driving it. Also maybe I should have set the needles a little richer for the first few tanks.

On the other hand, I've got to give credit to Horizon customer support. I've opened a service ticket on Friday afternoon, then I've called the hotline, I told the guy my ticket number and he was immediately on it. I had a few options: either send in the truck/motor or open it up and they would send me the parts. I had no problems with repairing it myself so I opened up the engine, sent pictures and the very next day he called me and said I would have the parts in the mail in a few days. His name is Kent and he was really straightforward and helpful.

After replacing the parts, for the new break-in session I am thinking about going much easier on the engine. Maybe just run it slowly with just a few blips of throttle for the first tank and then take it faster more gradually...
Old 01-19-2015, 07:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

How did you break it in before it broke? Did you follow the manual exactly or did you take it easier on the engine?

The sent me the rod, piston and sleeve. I did the break-in process again but differently from the manual:

1st tank - wheels off the ground, idle almost all the time. Some short blips of throttle.
2nd tank - wheels off the ground, idle most of the time, some longer blips of throttle
3rd tank - on the ground, some idle time, some driving around with no more than half throttle for a couple of seconds.

and so on... just advance slowly from tank to tank and it will get more powerful and will not break.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:27 AM
Tech Initiate

I did it as per the manual.
Debating whether to even run it when it gets here, or try to find something else. I've got my eye on the DBXL now
Also looking for alternatives for engines. Wondering if it would be possible to fit the HPI GT15c engine on this chassis.

How did you break it in before it broke? Did you follow the manual exactly or did you take it easier on the engine?

The sent me the rod, piston and sleeve. I did the break-in process again but differently from the manual:

1st tank - wheels off the ground, idle almost all the time. Some short blips of throttle.
2nd tank - wheels off the ground, idle most of the time, some longer blips of throttle
3rd tank - on the ground, some idle time, some driving around with no more than half throttle for a couple of seconds.

and so on... just advance slowly from tank to tank and it will get more powerful and will not break.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Oso787
Geez, it is trully a bummer this truck seem to have some reliability issues. I was very excited to see this platform back. I hope Losi can correct this in the near future. I wonder how one of the guys who initially tested it was able to put 20 gallons through this engine? (Losi Tech)
40 gallons is 150litres? That is 500 tanks!

I have 40 tanks on my XXL2....conrod broke on the 41 tanks..went thru the crankshaft...
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXL-2!!!-dsc_0037.jpg   Losi XXL-2!!!-img-20150120-wa0013.jpg  
Old 01-21-2015, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I got the xxl2 and made it brushless. I know the new motor is gas but its soo much like a nitro and had so many issues it was easier to just convert it
Old 01-24-2015, 05:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jerryc1983
I got the xxl2 and made it brushless. I know the new motor is gas but its soo much like a nitro and had so many issues it was easier to just convert it
Is there a conversion kit available?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.