Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manic very concerned

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy Manic very concerned

Hi guys after starting my manic for the 6th time now I noticed that there is oil leaking from the rubber tube connecting from the exhaust to the 1st engine its leaking what seems like an oil tipe of substance my guess is after run oil because I did put in after run oil after not getting the thing started and priming it a lot I just put in some to make sure I don't get any damage seeing that fuel hasn't burned and the engine was primed so after getting the right drill I attempted another start and it didn't want to. So I took it back to the hobby shop and the guy said it is possible that the engine couldve been flooded by the after run oil and it could leak out of the rubber tube connection point. He then started the engine by pulling the throttle a little bit and it revved up extremely high and then it went back to normal idle speed(Though the weather was much hotter) so semi satisfied I took the model back home and started up again this time with no problem at all. Today I went to the field and it was quite cold and it did not want to start. After priming it I noticed air bubble going from the fuel tank to the carb :? I then removed the fuel line to the carb and the line to the exhaust and I blew the air bubble with some fuel out of the fuel line going to the carb then retried and it worked. I started the engine again and it went fine I even let it idle a tank out in about 5 minutes it wasn't full at all. Then I did the spit test and it seemed very hot but the spit test didn't indicate any problem. I also picked up a smell it almost smelt like a plastic burning tipe of thing and I thought it could be the oil burning but I checked further and no problems. It seems very hard for me to pin this but something doesn't feel right at all. The engine is also very keen to go it idles quite high and it creeps forward slightly went starting it. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading Hope to hear from you guys soon.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You have an air leak. Common problem with nitros. Now there should not be ANY oil leaking from anywhere on the engine/exhaust. If there is you need to fix it because you got a leak there. If you have a leak in the exhaust you won't get the proper back pressure to the fuel tank and you'll get air bubbles just like you experienced. It will make it run lean and hence you'll have a high idle, and it will be hard to tune and get very hot.
Don't run it anymore until you seal up all the leaks. If the rubber gasket is leaking its either too loose or needs to be replaced

EDIT: and while you're at it check the fuel tank and lines for leaks also as a leak there will cause the same affects
Old 12-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Rookie

I have replaced the piece of cable tie that is sealing that rubber tube and I made it extremely tight so tomorrow I will start it up again and see if its doing that again. Thank you for helping just a question how is the best way to check for other air leaks on the engine.
Check the rubber tube with the cable tie. The cable tie nearest to the engine that tube opening was leaking the oil tipe substance its not fuel at all. I have replaced that cable tie now and tighten it up a lot so that it would hopefully be sealed. That Rubber tube is connected to the exhaust and fitted with the tube and cable tied to the exhaust and the other end of the tube is connected to the engine exit, that engine exit was leaking the oil substance and it was very hot.

Last edited by TruCk_ManIc; 12-29-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Tech Regular

You'll raraely get n engine air leak unless the block is cracked.
The oil substance is fuel, after it goes through the engine it comes out oily because most of the ntro is burned off. Just seal that up and make sure the tank and lins are sealed
Old 12-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Okay thank you I will do so and the air bubbles going to the carb I suspect the fuel tank maybe?
Old 12-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Okay I have checked the fuel tank and it seems fine and sealed. I am going to start the truck now and check if it leaks again from the rubber tube. I suspect the rear engine is also leaking the burnt fuel and will be replacing that cablie tie too. If that fails then what option could be considered? I have seen no problem with the engine block and I have checked the screws for the drill start and only one was fairly loose so I tightened it up again and I replaced the fuel line and line going to the exhaust so hopefully I have better luck this time. Otherwise I'm going to send the truck back to my hobby shop and let them fix it.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Okay struggled extremely trying to start the engine but it did found the problem the engine block going to the gear that turns the wheel is leaking fuel the gap is about 1mm wide and it just seeps fuel that is what is causing the burning smell it just seeped though when I started it but the cable tie problem is fixed I defintly have a fuel leak and its a very bad one going to take it to the shop now before it gets damaged thank you for helping man appreciate it I will keep you up to date but for now I'm taking the manic back and I'm going to bash that Havoc
Old 12-30-2013, 06:58 AM
Tech Regular

So it sounds like the front engine bearing is leaking then, right?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Jip 1st engine is pretty much dead the truck is at the hobby shop currently and they said I may be able to get it this afternoon at about 3 so then it would run better I hope.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:51 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Upbasher
You'll raraely get n engine air leak unless the block is cracked.
The oil substance is fuel, after it goes through the engine it comes out oily because most of the ntro is burned off. Just seal that up and make sure the tank and lins are sealed
not really true. nitro's are notorious for leaks. ive had 5 nitro engines and of those 2 of them leaked really bad. both were losi engines.
a 3.4 and a 350. the 350 didn't leak at first but after about 5 tanks of gas it wouldn't run right for anything. bought some lucky 7 engine sealant and now it runs perfect again.