Roll Cage?

Old 11-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Roll Cage?

I am looking to get a roll cage for my rc monster truck. I have a few questions about them.

How do they perform under high speeds?
How much of a difference do they have while off a jump?
How do they perform on a plastic chassis when taking a hard landing?
Old 11-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

IMHO roll cages look funny, and don't add to the durability of the vehicle, and will take away from the performance. Since most are made of aluminum, it will bend when taking hard roof landings.

And they look like a pain to get on And off.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by austinspeer810 View Post
I am looking to get a roll cage for my rc monster truck. I have a few questions about them.

Perform? There is no performance in a roll cage. How would a NASCAR perform with added weight?
That would be "functionality" it could save parts, it could break parts. Weight would/could make it jump differently.
Again, you don't get "performance" out of a roll cage. Your lid, the plastic body the truck came with is your "roll cage"..
Old 11-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have a roll cage on my emaxx, and for that particular truck, the roll cage I believe made a big difference in the reliability of the truck in the fact that it tied the front and rear of the truck together to help against flex between the bulkheads and the main chassis. I didn't notice any difference in the performance of the truck, it's a monster truck, not a precise racing machine. The cage I have is made of stainless steel bar, so it's not really easily bent, it'll bend by hand, but it takes a fair amount of persuasion.
My experience with the roll cage I had on my emaxx may be quite different than other's experience, which it sounds like, was quite positive, and I feel it saved the truck a couple times.