Wiki Posts
Search

savage flux 5th scale conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Overdriven
Gee I wonder who could've recommended a Leopard on 6s? Couldn't have been muney, he doesn't like them at all... Lol! Leopards are good motors, and a 4092 1340kv on 6s is a great package for a truck like yours. Its way more sensible and the power should keep you happy. You're still going to have to make sure you properly shim the diffs to remove any play from them, but you won't have to upgrade them to survive. The only other problem you may have is fitting it in the chassis using the stock mounts. You may have to clearance the chassis at the back of the motor depending on your gearing which isn't a big deal. I'm also not a Savage expert so I could be totally wrong about this part too. I do know the HPI 5sc Flux is not a "true" 1/5, its just HPI's version of a 1/5 chassis Savage. The drivetrain is not any stronger than the standard Flux so it would die just as fast as a standard Flux would on 8s. The only change they made to the drivetrain was adding a center diff to the transmission. The only advantage to the 5sc Savage Flux over a TCS or alza converted Savage is the 5sc has all the body mounts for the truck bodies.

Kershaw is a great place to get a Leopard for a good price and they're here in the states which makes shipping faster. The stuff he makes is another story. Hate to bash a guys work and what he makes but I don't think his stuff is worth it.
Wasn't Muney actually lol. But i think i'll be going with the leopard 1340kv/150amp esc or maybe the castle 1711 like mentioned above? And run either on 6s.

yes I do have a temp gun and the tires i currently have on there are the Trencher X's. Tranny is all stock.

I've been speaking with the people from alza about their center differential kit and they said the kit wil fit the TCS Chassis and the castle 1717 will fit the mount.Unsure about the 5892 1340kv leopard.

But would it be wise to put a center diff in there? Just appealing to me because then i wouldn't have to clearance my chassis.

Last edited by stone202; 10-23-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Overdriven
Are you sure about the 12/52 gearing? Do you have the high speed idler installed in the transmission? How tall are your tires? I ask because it seems like you may be undergeared to the point where you could run 6s without changing anything. My gear calc actually shows 25mph top speed assuming 12/52, stock flux trans, 2200kv on 4s with 7 inch tall tires. I'd call that undergeared and its possible for temps ro increase when undergeared, there is a sweet spot. If you switched to 6s without changing anything else you'd be at 37mph but you should be able to go up at least a few teeth on the pinion if you wanted to before temps got too high.

If you don't already have one a temp gun should be your first upgrade. After that get some 6s in there and see how it goes before dropping the coin on a Leopard.
How do you find your 1717 on 6s ? And just to clarify do you have the tcs 5th scale as well ?
Old 10-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i for one hope you run with the leopard 5692..that looks like a beast of a motor! would love to run it in my XXL MT!! The only thing that concerns me is the max amps is 150 amps which is what the Hobbywing is rated for so there isn't a lot of headroom there..unless you get a 8s esc like the castle HV one
regarding the 1717..i have it in my XXL currently..i have both the older green can 1580kv and the newer 1650kv out of the X0-1..its ok but the leopard 4092 in my muggy just eats it alive..it has a lot more torque than the 1717
Old 10-25-2013, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I had a Savage 25 years ago, never had a Flux or the TCS I just know about them from reading builds on the forums.

I was just kidding about muney recommending the 4092 to you because he seem to rave about it every chance he gets. Which is cool, like I said I joking around. I never had a 4092 but I did have a leopard 4074 in 2000kv and it was a good motor. I can't see it being much more powerful than a 1717 but Leopards are good motors especially for the price. I love my 1717 on 6s though and wouldn't hesitate to drop one into a stretched 1/8 like yours, I have another on the shelf waiting for when I do get another LST to stretch. The 5692 is the same size as the Castle 2028. The kv is higher making it more 6s friendly but the power isn't going to be 1/8 drivetrain friendly. Plus that motor has to weigh quite a bit more and you'll need pretty good batteries to keep up with the motor. A standard 1/8 esc will be on its limit with a 5692, it might live if you run mechanical brakes though.

Center diffs generally improve turn in so it could help a big truck like yours feel more nimble. Personally I'd go for it, it'll help with gearing your beast and then there's no transmission to worry about breaking. From the looks of it the 5692 will fit the Alza mount but the bolt pattern on the 5692 is different from 40mm motors you'd have t tel Alza that so they could custom cut yours.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by stone202
So I converted my savage flux with the Tcs Crawlers 5th scale conversion. I was running my mamba monster 2200kv motor in it. But I want to upgrade to a different system
I've been thinking abouy going with the Castle Xl2 esc and 750kv motor and buying either the kershaw motor mount or the alza center diff kit.

Now this combo ia compable of 8s but I'm assuming that would only lead to lots of broken parts.

Would running it on 6s still get great speed of geared accordingly or would 8s be possible with certain upgrades on the flux?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Pictures???
Old 10-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey OD, I've tested both the 4092 and 1717 side to side, geared for the same speed, under the same conditions, on 6s, in the same truck..which is my muggy
So I tried the Leppy 4092, castle (1717)1580kv, castle (1717)1650kv..all brand new motors.
The Leppy IS by far the most powerfull of the 3 motors..and get this, the Leppy is almost HALF the price!..sure the 1717 runs cooler, but for sheer torque and power, the 4092 is a stand out. For $100 go get you're self one and see for your own eyes. You'll definately come away smiling..I use to be a castle faithful and I've owned a lot of 4s/6s motors, but when you run the Leppy equivalent, the Leppy eats the castle..
I will promise you videos of both my muggy and scte running Leppy motors and then you can make you're own decision
Old 10-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

After doing 6S on a Castle 1520 motor in my Savage 1/5 Alza conversion, I actually prefer how it feels on 4S with the same Kv.

My issue now is I am interested in trying a center diff to simplify things, but, gearing range seems to be an issue? I like to gear for about 35 mph, but that would put in the 11T pinion size which is right at the limit with a 1700kv motor on 4S no less.

Thoughts anyone? maybe I am doing this wrong calculation wise?
Old 10-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

First of all, I thought the 1520 was 1600kv? If that is the case, then I used this to get about 36-38 mph depending on gearing. 11,12,13t pinions should get you around the right speed on 4s. Since there's no tranny, I put a value of 1, and most center diffs are 46, 48, 50t.

So summarizing, 12t pinion, 48t spur, 1600kv motor, 4s lipo should get you to 35+ mph on large monster truck tires. If anything, I think you can gear up, and adjust motor settings if need be.

Oh and also, I recommend the center diff from Alza. I hated paying $120 shipped, but if you don't mind, then you'll be happy.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Tech Legend

yeah it is. I am however going to be using a 1700Kv motor on 4S.

Using that, on an 11T pinion I am seeing 35mph. Basically just trying to have some gearing range so I can adjust more.

After talking with Dejan from Alza, I may just pickup a 1300kv motor or so to try.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain
After doing 6S on a Castle 1520 motor in my Savage 1/5 Alza conversion, I actually prefer how it feels on 4S with the same Kv.

My issue now is I am interested in trying a center diff to simplify things, but, gearing range seems to be an issue? I like to gear for about 35 mph, but that would put in the 11T pinion size which is right at the limit with a 1700kv motor on 4S no less.

Thoughts anyone? maybe I am doing this wrong calculation wise?
Hey Cain does the alza center diff fit their 5th scale chassis ? (probably a dumb question)
By looking at picture the alza and tcs tvps appear to have the same shape.I was speaking with Dejan at alza and he said the CEnter diff kit won't fit the TCs chassis dude to the rear dogbone length.

So is it the same issue with the alza tvps? and just use a different dogbone or it that properly cut to fit the Center diff already.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Tech Addict

I just wrote a long explanation and figured I should just simplify. No, the center diff kit will not work with the TCS chassis. If you look on Alza's website, they sell dogbones made for their chassis, however I have no idea if they are proper length for the TCS chassis too.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by stone202
Hey Cain does the alza center diff fit their 5th scale chassis ? (probably a dumb question)
By looking at picture the alza and tcs tvps appear to have the same shape.I was speaking with Dejan at alza and he said the CEnter diff kit won't fit the TCs chassis dude to the rear dogbone length.

So is it the same issue with the alza tvps? and just use a different dogbone or it that properly cut to fit the Center diff already.
if you select the 5B/5T flux option on there site, they sell a specific center diff conversion for that chassis they sell. It costs a bit more. i am not sure what is it specifically that is making up that cost.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RepEvox
I just wrote a long explanation and figured I should just simplify. No, the center diff kit will not work with the TCS chassis. If you look on Alza's website, they sell dogbones made for their chassis, however I have no idea if they are proper length for the TCS chassis too.
Alza is telling me the CD kit will fit the chassis but the dogbones aren't the right length. Looking at their pictures, seeing theres no dimensions for their chassis. Both chassis' have the same appearance in shape.
That being said i'm wondering if their dogbone will fit?

Does anyone know how long their dogbone is?
Old 10-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain
if you select the 5B/5T flux option on there site, they sell a specific center diff conversion for that chassis they sell. It costs a bit more. i am not sure what is it specifically that is making up that cost.
yeah i just seen that.

So you have their 5th scale tvp's right ?
Old 10-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

To clarify, I didn't say it wouldn't fit the chassis. The center diff kit is exactly the same width as the transmission. This makes sense because TCS chassis fits the stock tranny so thus, it fits the center diff kit in place of the tranny. Like I said, they sell longer dogbones, but I would definitely ask the owner how long they are (in mm). See if you can work something out, if not, then just run the stock tranny with a RR slipper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.