Wiki Posts
Search

Hpi Savage Flux 5th Scale Build/Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Overdriven
I've never delt with Kershaw and won't go into what I've heard. But I have seen some of his stuff in person, I wasn't impressed. It's all water jet cut from flat stock which creates some design limitations and the aluminum was cheaper, softer 50 series when it should be 6061. One thing of his I saw in person was his e-conversion for the Baja and the design of it actually didn't tie the front and back halves of the chassis together like the stock gas and every other e-conversion does.

Stick with the TCS or go Alza, I'm sure either will be better quality. And you can put the batteries inside the chassis if you want, not sure if you can with the Kershaw.
Yeah dude i'll check out the Alza but i've got my mind pretty set on the TCS one.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RepEvox
I'm sure Cain could give you advice because he has one, but I'll address some of the others questions you had.

Lipos, I run 4 2s Turnigy nanotechs 5 amp batteries which I got for a great deal. The discharge is 25c-50c I believe. I'm no expert, but I don't think there is a huge difference between discharge rates. Sure, 70c batteries will keep a higher voltage for longer, meaning faster average speeds, but they're not worth the extra price if they can be differentiated in price like the nanotechs can. I bought 4 of the ones listed above for $120 shipped which was a steal. I think running 5 and 6s is no problem, I would just dial back some of the esc settings for longevity of your electronics, and ultimately the wear on your truck seeing as it's heavier and doesn't really need wheelie and backflip power...

Since the TCS chassis can mount the batteries inside, battery choice is up to you. Obviously 4s batteries cost a lot more than 2s batteries so I would advise to shop and research well. I think a lot of people run 6s and dial back the settings, like I said...I had two 3s nanotechs 5 amp 25-50c, but I lost one. The answer is probably you want to run batteries in series. Two 2s or two 3s is recommended.

On a 44t spur, I would definitely suggest less than 20t lol. Stock gearing is probably a little high for a truck that is 3-5 lbs heavier if not more. Cain + others will help ya out with that. Again, research a lot, there's lots of 1/5 setup threads on a simple google search.

Also, I sent you a PM.
So i'm looking at what spur/pinion to get now. Should I get hpi branded ones or or another manufacturer? and what size of each would be "ideal" for running the 2200kv motor on 4s.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You can run any Mod1 pitch 5mm bore pinion. If your spur gear is plastic the pinion doesn't have to be hardened, but of the spur is metal it has to be hardened. Personally all my pinions are hardened, metal spur or not it's not worth buying non-hardened and having its use be limited. All my pinions are from Robinson Racing or RC-Monster but there's plenty of other good brands, Tekno, Associated's are nice. I had bad luck with Novak and broke 2 on a metal spur in a buggy, plus they seemed to wear faster than others. Sorry not a Savage guy and can't help you with exact tooth counts though.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

You can run any Mod1 pitch 5mm bore pinion. If your spur gear is plastic the pinion doesn't have to be hardened, but of the spur is metal it has to be hardened. Personally all my pinions are hardened, metal spur or not it's not worth buying non-hardened and having its use be limited. All my pinions are from Robinson Racing or RC-Monster but there's plenty of other good brands, Tekno, Associated's are nice. I had bad luck with Novak and broke 2 on a metal spur in a buggy, plus they seemed to wear faster than others. Sorry not a Savage guy and can't help you with exact tooth counts though.
No problem, I think i'm going to be going with the Robinson racing gears, i've had good luck with their stuff in other vehicles.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I second and third the vote for Robinson racing or rec monster pinions. I tried these advantage pinions out, and so far so good but I'm not sure how long they'll last. There is wear after half a dozen packs. I don't have a good measure for these things though because I don't think I've been in the savage biz for long enough.

Hopefully you'll be happy with the TCS plates. Now that I have them, I actually think its a good product. The long front axle is really beefy in comparison to the stock stuff. I will be opting for the TCS xl plates myself once I get everything lined up.

I think you should be set on your list of stuff. Maybe you should add shims, sway bar, rear Integy carriers, etc and carry over some of the stuff the people in the flux thread recommend upgrading as you see fit.

Take it easy on the throttle lol. I'm one to enjoy a well function ring rc, not breaking it purposefully like those djmedic Skate Park Pain videos that I cringe on.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:25 AM
Tech Initiate

yeah its looking nice and i fair price but it would be nice if you deal with some else have good reputation.......
Old 06-27-2013, 07:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Tried novak and Robinson racing and out of those two the novak was the longest lasting by far.
But both of them is better than the stock soft hpi one.
Also check out alza racing chassie plates
Old 06-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=colin222;12294475]yeah its looking nice and i fair price but it would be nice if you deal with some else have good reputation.......[/QUOTE
Reputation?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RepEvox
I second and third the vote for Robinson racing or rec monster pinions. I tried these advantage pinions out, and so far so good but I'm not sure how long they'll last. There is wear after half a dozen packs. I don't have a good measure for these things though because I don't think I've been in the savage biz for long enough.

Hopefully you'll be happy with the TCS plates. Now that I have them, I actually think its a good product. The long front axle is really beefy in comparison to the stock stuff. I will be opting for the TCS xl plates myself once I get everything lined up.

I think you should be set on your list of stuff. Maybe you should add shims, sway bar, rear Integy carriers, etc and carry over some of the stuff the people in the flux thread recommend upgrading as you see fit.

Take it easy on the throttle lol. I'm one to enjoy a well function ring rc, not breaking it purposefully like those djmedic Skate Park Pain videos that I cringe on.
Lol I love those bashing videos, That'll be me haha. Not with this 5th scale build but I have other rc's I use that kind of bashing for.

As for robinson that's what i'm going to go with.

I'll have my savage roller this weekend so I just need to get a pinion for my castle system.

I'm just going to use the savage flux as is until I am ready to buy the tcs plates and have what gearing I will use for the 5th scale determined.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

So i've got the TCS Crawlers Chassis kit installed and i'm very impressed. Right now shes just sitting as a roller as i'm waiting for a spur gear and receiver.

But with the added length i'd like to add some width to her as well.

Do you guy think the Savage XL axles would do the trick ?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Yeah the XL axles will make it wider, but what tires are you planning on running? From what I've heard if you want to run 1/5 scale Baja tires that could cause some problems for the XL axles. Their weight with heavy bashing can snap the axles. The stock spacers don't add much support so some guys have used bearings that fit tighter and offer more support. Of course using lighter 1/8th scale tires and keeping the weight down in general will also help them live.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah the XL axles will make it wider, but what tires are you planning on running? From what I've heard if you want to run 1/5 scale Baja tires that could cause some problems for the XL axles. Their weight with heavy bashing can snap the axles. The stock spacers don't add much support so some guys have used bearings that fit tighter and offer more support. Of course using lighter 1/8th scale tires and keeping the weight down in general will also help them live.
I've using the Proline Trencher X's