Search

T-maxx Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 03:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billyumbentley
Ok what is done to the your 3.3

I'm going to break it down for you. The 3.3 is a recycled, mass produced, non-matched P/S engine that uses a 2.5 rod, carb and crank. The only difference is the block bore, piston and head/head button. It's disposable pop can aluminum..You would be better off getting a BB mount and installing a BB/mid block engine v.s. a 3.3 mod if your looking for more power.

As for the RD pipe, nitro engines (2 cycle engines in general) need a certain sound wave/back pressure to make power, that RD garbage does not make that. It's sloppy and it's got too much flow for a 3.3 You might think it looks cool with the dual stingers and all but it will become a tuning nightmare especially for someone that has no clue how to tune.

Do yourself a favor, get the THS pipe mentioned in the thread and call it a day. That pipe makes the best "bolt on/spring on" aftermarket affordable power for that engine.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool I've seen a couple people running the ofna picco .26max jl red dot Version is that Worth the 220 that Or is it garbage
Old 05-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Billyumbentley
Cool I've seen a couple people running the ofna picco .26max jl red dot Version is that Worth the 220 that Or is it garbage

I liked my red dot a lot. You can pick up a OFNA mount for it around $20-25 bucks. Everything off the 3.3 will bolt up to it, even a cheezy start, stock exhaust, stock clutch and bell ETC. if you use them. You will not get the power out of a red dot using the stock exhaust though.

Tuning tip:

The dot's manual reads a certain amount of turns for both your LSN and HSN. Make a mental note to remember that what they mean is 1/2 turns. Example: They will say 5 turns on the LSN, that will be 5- 1/2 turns for a total of 2.5 full turns.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

No replacement for displacement. Well, other than forced-induction or fuel additives, which have no commonplace for use on nitro rc engines so...
As far as the 3.3 engine's quality/performance, I think it doesn't deserve that kind of bashing. It's a good budget/rtr engine. It's just a little out of place in a MT when most/all other of the competitor's MT's use big blocks. Let's not forget the 3.3 is essentially a .19 engine. The issue here is that Traxxas used the engine universally on TC's, stadium trucks, SC's and MT's, and it doesn't have the torque most want on a MT.
I agree though, If you are looking for the most power, your money would be better spent on a different mill. Maybe the LRP .28 should be considered as well.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by meno1103
As far as the 3.3 engine's quality/performance, I think it doesn't deserve that kind of bashing.
Bashing? Why do you think they want the old blocks back while you are doing a TRX ERP? They melt them down and make new block moulds, none of them are fresh alloy... Larger displacement with .15 internals does not work too long. Waste of blue anodize if you ask me... Coke called, they mentioned they would like their cans back.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by got_nitro
...Coke called, they mentioned they would like their cans back.
Har.