Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BRAND NEW Savage X 4.6BB Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Default BRAND NEW Savage X 4.6BB Issues

First off... Hello everyone, been reading these for a bit now and im glad to say i can finally join the RC owners group

Second, my new RC ownership seems to have brought me nothing but trouble since about hour 3! heres some background. on Monday April 23 and purchased an HPI Savage X 4.6, I brought it home and got it all set up and ready to go watched the DVD, Read the manual twice before starting to get everything going, ran the first tank of fuel through it at idle, no problems. Second tank at idle, no problems, I took it to an open parking lot to do the 2 tanks at half throttle in circles and tune it, But it wouldnt start on the third tank, It sounds like it the one way bearing is engaging then disengaging when trying to start. but it has some kind of other sound in the motor too which wasnt there before, a light harmonic grinding sound. It Just will not start, Im not comfortable working on this machine yet and I dont want to damage anything in the truck. It has been ran for probably 35 minutes just doing the idle tanks and the truck has never even moved under its own power yet. I feel like the truck shouldn't be doing this at this point in its life. I dont want to void the warranty, then again its pretty hard to "misuse" when it cant even be used in the first place. to be quite honest im very aggravated about this and to say the least my Nitro RC experience to this point has been nothing but a headache! Can anyone help me in any way?

EDIT: I realized i posted this in the wrong section... my apologies, Will post appropriately and whoever has authority to delete may do so

Last edited by shenker10; 04-23-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shenker10
First off... Hello everyone, been reading these for a bit now and im glad to say i can finally join the RC owners group

Second, my new RC ownership seems to have brought me nothing but trouble since about hour 3! heres some background. on Monday April 23 and purchased an HPI Savage X 4.6, I brought it home and got it all set up and ready to go watched the DVD, Read the manual twice before starting to get everything going, ran the first tank of fuel through it at idle, no problems. Second tank at idle, no problems, I took it to an open parking lot to do the 2 tanks at half throttle in circles and tune it, But it wouldnt start on the third tank, It sounds like it the one way bearing is engaging then disengaging when trying to start. but it has some kind of other sound in the motor too which wasnt there before, a light harmonic grinding sound. It Just will not start, Im not comfortable working on this machine yet and I dont want to damage anything in the truck. It has been ran for probably 35 minutes just doing the idle tanks and the truck has never even moved under its own power yet. I feel like the truck shouldn't be doing this at this point in its life. I dont want to void the warranty, then again its pretty hard to "misuse" when it cant even be used in the first place. to be quite honest im very aggravated about this and to say the least my Nitro RC experience to this point has been nothing but a headache! Can anyone help me in any way?

EDIT: I realized i posted this in the wrong section... my apologies, Will post appropriately and whoever has authority to delete may do so
Take out the engine, remove the rotor-starter back plate and clean/soak the OWB with WD-40.

Trust me, many said oil will make it 'slip' even more, but it's not the case with WD-40, it'll 'grab' better!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:19 AM
Tech Champion

Idling the engine at super rich factory settings is neither necessary nor good.

I say try to start it again. (Loosen the glowplug a little bit before starting. Immediately retighten after...). Don't be scared to give it some gas. It's probably just flooded.. You can also take the plug out, turn the truck away from you, and hit it briefly with the Rotostart to blast the excess fuel out...

Get it started and give it some gas to get it moving. Then do some slow figure 8's for a tank or so at a time. Maybe lean it a tad (as in, 1/12 of a turn, clockwise)on top if it's super pig rich and spitting out fuel.

I know how it is.. I was nervous at first too. But it really is a learning by doing kind of thing.. So roll your sleeves up and getter' running... The vast majority of the supposed "difficulty" of nitro is in your head. It's not rocket science. I mean, if I can do it anybody can...

As stated above too, the rich factory settings might be causing your OWB to slip.. WD40 it if so..
Old 04-24-2013, 06:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Don't be afraid to work on it. It is necessary to get to know your truck. If you don't ever take it apart and work on it you'll never be able to diagnose whats wrong with it.
Rip that engine out and take off that roto start. One of the gears in the roto start may have broken or your owb could be slipping as stated above. Theres only one way (No pun intended) to find out.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Sorry I started another thread in the "nitro off-road" section... ill post the just of it here for those who were wondering about what happened:

Ok so a bit of an update to go along with this. My model of savage is a 2013 model possibly considered a 2013.5 because of this change, my savage has a Nitrostart starter assembly NOT a rotostart 2... to say the least this system is garbage! this absolutely baffled 2 hobby shops in which they asked me to come in with the car and manual so that they could get an idea of how it works and order new parts to stock... neither had ever seen the setup before. How it works is a straight shaft to the crank, the shaft has a sleeve on it with 2 set screws which sit in very small notches , on the end of the sleeve is the female end of a socket type thing... as for the hydrolocked/flooded/compression to high sensor thingy that was on the rotostart... its not on the new drill shaped tool and has adjustable settings from 1-4 ftlbs. very simple yet very prone to fail what happened in my case was the set screws backed out letting the sleeve slip on the shaft. In my case to the point of one of set screws coming right out of the threads and creating a big but fixable mess. So I took it to the first hobby shop today, they just looked at the manual and got some part #s, same with the second, but they did give me an idea of what was causing it to slip (I did not know at this point) so I drove home pulled the motor out pulled the plastic back plate off and underneath I screwed the set screws back into the sleeve and put it all back together. PERFECT! it worked... for 2 more tanks of fuel ( I.e 2 starts) before it was slipping again... went through this process repeatedly all afternoon.... I'm at 8 (pull motor, tighten set screw, replace) cycles today and counting. This last time I noticed that it had stripped the threads of the top of the sleeve for one set screw, flippin' wonderful! I managed to get it to catch while it had a good glob of blue loctite on both set screws. We shall see how it holds up tomorrow after work I guess. I don't have any pictures but I have no doubt ill be pulling the motor again tomorrow as I'm planning on running through another few tanks and finishing tuning. But ill take a picture if I do have to pull it apart again. In the meantime I emailed hpi and gave them a little slice of what I think of this new starting system so far and to send me some new parts that have failed already in my truck.
a day later
Ok well im giving the new system another try... in a bit more detail of what i did to get it work this time, I spent almost 2 hours last night meticulously removing all the parts, laying all the metal parts out and cleaning with brake cleaner and a bumper magnet to remove any metal shavings... there was quite a few to be honest, more then there should have been, anyways, i then wiped them with a small amount of wd40 on a cloth (only the surface of the rear cover and the surface of the crankshaft backplate to repel anything and making a seal between the case and cover. I then lined up the set screws to the best i could and screwed in the one with stripped threads first and shot in some loctite blue, tightened it down and lone behold it grabbed! I screwed the second one in with loctite as well, put it all back together and let it sit overnight.

today after work it cranked right up, warmed it up with one tank, it died. started it again no issues, finished tuning the carb with another (approx 8 starts with this tank), started again no issues bashed it for a third. and nearly 7/8 of my way through the third i lost a wheel nut somewhere in a grassy BMX jump park and couldnt find it. so that ended my fun for today but im heading into my not so local, local hobby shop (35 mins drive, Y U NO HAZ HOBBY SHOP SMALL TOWN!) for the 4th time this week to pick a couple up... then locktite them all and back to beating the piss out of it! so far it seems to be holding up but its still prone to fail eventually i already know it... and when it does a new assembly is going in it with more loctite then you can shake a stick at!
For future reference with any questions regarding what seems to be an OWB... new savages no longer have the OWB, just this new sort of "shaft grip starting system" i havent had to pull it apart yet as of probably 25 starts later so if anyone gets one of these new designs, the FIRST thing you should do even before break in... Take the motor out, cover off, setscrews out, loctite every screw that you removed and your set to begin break in without worrying about stripping out the starter like I did.