Wiki Posts
Search

need help with my clod

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default need help with my clod

Hi everyone sorry to repeat this question but I need some help with my clodbuster I want to put a brushless system in it. I want faster speed and longer run time or play time. This is the setup that I currently have in in it.
Clodbuster with the following
CPE aluminum race chassis setup
Trinity 11 Turn motors
Hitech 645MG Servo
Tunder Tech Wheel Widners
Stock Clod Rims
Novak Super Rooster ESC
Losi Shocks
HPI Remote

I also have another clodbuster that I want to make faster as well what can I do or add to make it faster longer run time this clodbuster has the following
Clodbuster with the follwing
Clodzilla 4 Chassis
Traxxas XL5 esc
HPI 15 turn motors
Futaba Servo
Thunder Tech Servo Mount
Stock Tires on TXT Rims

Can you please help me and point me in the right direction or tell me what I need to get what options I have or what full brushless system that would be able to work
thank you for helping
Old 04-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

I am running dual sidewinder v2s with 4700kv motors on mine. Its belligerently fast for a truck of its size with that setup. The problem with the sidewinders is that they do not play nice when using a Y harness, you need to have atleast a 3 channel radio and set up channel mixing for the front and rear motors. I don't know if that issue has been addressed with the V3 sidewinders. Castle has also discontinued the CM36 motor line and gone to a new 4pole design for all of its standard 540 motors, they are available in the same KV ratings as the old motors as well. I don't have adjustable mounts for mine, so Im running stock gearing, and I have no issues with acceleration or top end. I could actually stand to gear up a tooth or two so I can get some low end control. That is my experience with it, I haven't tried any other BL systems in mine so Im not aware if other controller brands will play nice with a Y harness or not. I will recommend going with TXT wheels though, I sheared my clod wheel pins pretty quickly, unless you are running bolted wideners.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok thank you. I'm kinda new to this and just getting back into it again I wanna learn more about it. Was that system expensive and do I need two systems. How hard is putting a brushless system on the clod that I have. I was actually gonna try one clod first and sees what happens. I was thinking about leopard or hobby wing to start since it's on the cheaper side and being that I'm sorta new I might have some issues with it. And as for batteries what do you suggestfdo I need two battery's or just one. What brand size and strength would u suggest n would it be 2s 3s 4s or sorry but I'm just trying to get an understanding n trying to learn more or as much as I can. Thank you very much for the help I really appreciate it very much
Old 04-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

You will need 2 systems per truck. One for each axle. I run 2 batteries in mine, but its not a racer so Im not as concerned about weight. You can run a Y harness for your battery to use 1 pack for both systems. If you run only 1 pack, you will definitely need to use a battery with a higher discharge C rating, like 80C+ to support both motors. That isnt as much of a problem if you run 2 packs in the truck. Number of cells will depend on the motor KV rating you get. My 4700s limit me to 2S packs. If you get something lower like a 3800, then you could use a 3s, and if you go really low like the 1700-2500 range, then you would probably be safe for a 4s or higher. Honestly, Im fine with my 4700 2S setup. As far as brand, I am running Pro-match 4200 2S 65C saddle packs. I have 2 of them and really I bought them for my 4x4 buggy, but they are the only matching packs I have so thats why they get used. Any bigger name brand like Pro-match, SMC, Thunder Power, or Max Amps will be a safe bet for a good battery. I saw your sister thread on RCMT too, those guys may have some other good suggestions and experience with different batteries and ESC/Motor combos. This is just stuff that I have used and am familiar with.