What would be the better investment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would be the better investment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Well, it IS 50 bucks off, either with the discount code at Tower, or on ebay..

In Europe and I think probably in Australia and possibly Asia too, TT is proportionately cheaper than in the US..

Still, compare it to the Erevo, which, like all Traxxas products..............., really needs significant upgrades right away.. Or the Savage Flux, which is also far from "bulletproof", though people like to (over-)use that word in connection with it.. And that's just talking toughness. In terms of performance it'll outdo both handily. As if either of those designs are all that new either.. Hell, the LST2/XXL design is what, 7-8 years old too?

It's simply better value than the competition... And IMO that's still the case after the ast year's price increases(which are surely down to its deserved popularity..)
Old 04-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

The mt3 design isn't all the revolutionary either. It's based on a mgt.

I still believe a savage flux would out preform the mt3.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

What's an MT3? You mean MT4 G3? Nobody said it's revolutionary. It is though compared to a Savage when it comes to handling.. (and ease of working on...)

It'll jump better than a Savage, and outhandle it by an even bigger margin.

Only thing the Savage really has going for it IMO is that it doesn't break arms... I personally think drivetrain durability is a more important criterion for determing toughness though. And I don't trust Savage drivetrains....

If you want to twist my arm I'll put them on more nearly equal pedestals due to tuning options for the Savage, and the coüple weak points of the MT4 G3, but the MT4 is a lot cheaper (and still handles better, is far easier to work on, etc...)
Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cinnabun
The mt3 design isn't all the revolutionary either. It's based on a mgt.

I still believe a savage flux would out preform the mt3.

Cinnabun , what is this mt3 you speak of ? If you mean the RIVAL then that is based on the MTA4 nitro monster truck which was called the MGT here in the US . And yes it is an old design for sure but it still kicked major but and could be made to handle rather well for a monster truck . And like I said before the chassis was/is extremely strong as its a 1 piece box section extruded aluminum chassis , VERY strong for its design . I would bet MUCH stronger than the TVP design of the Savages .

And Herr , the thing is YOU CAN upgrade and make the EREVO/SAVAGE/LST2 better/stronger if you need/want to (and MOST RC'ers do) . The Thunder Tiger cars have no aftermarket for them at all except for what TT themselves do . Can you even fit a set of big bore shocks onto the MTA4 G3 ?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

There are people who put bigger shocks on them, but it's not needed (IMO). Just because it has "big" in the name doesn't mean it'll make a big difference.

What it needs are replacement hinge pins, a chassis brace, and possibly shock tower reenforcecements.. (there are people around who make these things..)

When it comes to spares availability, there's a lot more out there than people realize. TT has a bunch of cars based on the same or nearly the same basis: ST-1, ST4 G3, EB4 G3, the nitro buggy, the rally version, etc.. And the diffs are straight up AE - RC8.2, RC8T, SC8, etc.. (AE took the diffs from the ST-1, which had existed before AE even had an 8th scale...)

For people who want more of a truck look, all the MT bods fit no prob... I've got an F-650 on mine.. (I care less about how it looks though, and more how it performs.. Just had the body laying around..)

Old 04-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Oops, I misspoke on calling the rival old etc. I was talking about TT new release of the eMTA reviewed by Jang http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1Kin...tHQIdw&index=4 being a weird truck. The Rival looks pretty cool but would still take the MT4-G3 over it.

Suggesting the electronics in the MT4-G3 are just "rebadged hobby wing" is a bad thing..why ? Hobby wing esc's are some of the best on the market. I have NEVER fried one despite the abuse I put through them. Not sure what shocks come on the MT4-G3 now but most any aluminum body truggy shocks are very very good. Your right though if the "hop ups" and such are your thing the other monster trucks may be a better platform for you. In my opinion if you want to send some big power through your truck & have it handle the center diff is critical.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

LMAO @ Herr putting LST stickers all over his MT4!! Your killing me bro haha!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Having both a Savage and MGT, i have to agree, the Savages just aren't what they are cracked up to be, atleast the XS isn't, hence i still have my MGT and the Savage is gone.. I am converting one of my MGT's to E though..
Old 04-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by big JC
Oops, I misspoke on calling the rival old etc. I was talking about TT new release of the eMTA reviewed by Jang http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1Kin...tHQIdw&index=4 being a weird truck. The Rival looks pretty cool but would still take the MT4-G3 over it.

Suggesting the electronics in the MT4-G3 are just "rebadged hobby wing" is a bad thing..why ? Hobby wing esc's are some of the best on the market. I have NEVER fried one despite the abuse I put through them. Not sure what shocks come on the MT4-G3 now but most any aluminum body truggy shocks are very very good. Your right though if the "hop ups" and such are your thing the other monster trucks may be a better platform for you. In my opinion if you want to send some big power through your truck & have it handle the center diff is critical.
I didn't say it was a bad thing just that it is , I use Hobbywing products myself and know that they are decent .....And you are right a center diff does help it handle better , but what true monster trucks come with a center diff ?

NONE because the MTA4 G3 is a truggy with monster truck wheels and body put on it . Monster trucks are supposed to be powerful wheelie machines with long travel suspensions and high ground clearance .
Old 04-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Tech Champion

Superfluous theoretical labels/categorizations are irrelevant when what matters is flying through the air having fun bashing.. The MT4 will wheelie down the road all day long too.. And ground clearance comes more from tires than anything else anyway..

The body is a 4+ year old body from my LST2's.. Just put some new holes in it... Can't see the stickers at 40mph anyway..

I think the E-MTA is cool too.. But I just don't see a reason to get it over the MT4.. More complicated parts to go wrong, heavier but with the same electronics, fiddly battery compartment, etc.. Good truck, and cool looking, but if running (along with ease of use/wrenching)is your priority, the MT4 just seems(seemed... Which is why I decided thus..) like the better choice..
Old 04-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

I was just messn with ya bro!! I could careless what stickers you put on what, i might put Losi stickers on my rustler haha!!

If the MT4 is anything like the MGT platform, it's SUPER easy to work on..
Old 04-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Tech Champion

Way easier.. It's a flat chassis, with a few things mounted on top.. Still crazy to me how much less crowded things are compared to a nitro.. No tank, no engine, no pipe, no pipe mount, no throttle servo or lingakes.. It's like a vast empty plateau or something in comparison..

Still love nitro though.. Just more stuff on the chassis..
Old 04-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah with out the extra servo, throttle linkages, and brakes it's a LOT more simple.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Initiate

The lack of after market parts worries me a bit. What's with the lack of brushless RTR truggys?
Old 04-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

How many aftermarket parts for Revos and Savages are really all that worth having anyway?

Integy?

OK, RPM arms, and here and there a very basic few things...

I think the issue is more general - nobody cares about MT's anymore. But that might be changing.. Tower sells out of the MT4 every few months, so they are definitely being bought up.. And there are guys at wondertiger and other places pumping out shock towers, shock tower reenforcements, body mounts, chassis braces and other stuff... There is stuff out there, and I would expect what's available to grow, with so many MT4's having been sold recently...

BTW, I still haven't changed anything on mine - no hinge pins or anything.. Haven't been jumping though - more speed runs in the park or on the street.. For mid-level/mildish bashing it's plenty strong.. It's when you start wanting to go really big, and if you're not a great driver, crashing into things, that you'll be more likely to break stuff.. But that goes for any RC...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.