Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
T-Maxx Problems >

T-Maxx Problems

T-Maxx Problems

Old 05-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default T-Maxx Problems

Hello, i have a stock T-maxx brand new. I have just finished the break in as per the instructions and now every time i give it wot it bogs and stalls. Then it is a pain in the ass to start i almost have to let it sit for a few minutes. I have reset the needles to factory settings (turn the high speed needle all the way in and then turn it out 4 turns) still having the problem.

Also when i turn in clockwise does this lean or richen it.

Please chime in with any suggestions.

thanks
John
Old 05-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

clockwise leans it
Old 05-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Tech Initiate

do you have alot of blue smoke coming out of the pipe? you may be running the high speed needle too rich. If you have smoke coming from the glowplug hole, then it is too lean. To richen the mix,turn counter-clockwise.To lean the mix,turn clockwise. you may also want to check the low-speed needle, just make sure that when you turn a needle...do so in small increments. I would also recommend to call traxxas or check out their troubleshooting section on www.traxxas.com good luck
Old 05-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Tech Rookie

heres the thing....there is blue smoke coming from the exhaust however i notice after really running it fast it gets so hot that steam comes from the engine (not exhaust smoke) I have also gone through 3 glow plugs today!!!!!

As soon as i stop running i put a dab of spit on the head and it SIZZLES right off....not too sure on that tests accuracy though. I am having a really hard time setting the idle and geting it to stay consistent.

The low speed pinch test worked as it was supposed to. I pinched the fuel line and it dies 3 secs later....

Im just trying to get this worked out. thanks everyone.

One side question. I am using a NR XR3 radio. How do i make the truck go into reverse? it says that it has 3 channels. am i missing something here? thanks so much,
John
Old 05-03-2005, 07:22 PM
Tech Rookie

heres the thing....there is blue smoke coming from the exhaust however i notice after really running it fast it gets so hot that steam comes from the engine (not exhaust smoke) I have also gone through 3 glow plugs today!!!!!

As soon as i stop running i put a dab of spit on the head and it SIZZLES right off....not too sure on that tests accuracy though. I am having a really hard time setting the idle and geting it to stay consistent.

The low speed pinch test worked as it was supposed to. I pinched the fuel line and it dies 3 secs later....

Im just trying to get this worked out. thanks everyone.

One side question. I am using a JR XR3 radio. How do i make the truck go into reverse? it says that it has 3 channels. am i missing something here? thanks so much,
John
Old 05-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Tech Adept

We turn all our Traxxes engines to 4.5 turns out. Start from there. We never break in a traxxas engine to there instructions. Way to lean from factory. then they tell you to lean it after every tank eh?. The big reason they say dont idle first tank is "its to lean from factory" And I dont stock traxxas fuel. I use Byrons RTR in all traxxas. Just my opinion which varies by user.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

I had similiar problems when I had mine... I bought a larger cooling head and all my problems went away..
Old 05-04-2005, 08:44 AM

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

WELL I WAS GOING TO GO BUY A NEW T MAXX THIS WEEKEND!!!
LOL
i hope mine doesnt do that!!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Water (spit) boils at 212 F. Therefore, your cooling head must be greater than 212 F (sounds like quite a bit higher). Richen your mixture until you get good blue smoke out of the exhaust. As long as you have a good bit of blue smoke out of the exhaust at WOT, your fine. IMO.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Tech Rookie

If your truck stalls when you whack on the power it means theres probably not enough fuel in the carb, well thats wot mine did. Just take the fuel line off of the side of the carb and pump the primer about 5-10 times until fuel squirts out properly. Hope it helps if that happens
Old 05-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Nitro engines can cut for various reasons - too rich, too lean, bubbles in the fuel line, dirt in the carb, wrong plug, blown plug, clutch problems - the list goes on.

The fact that your truck is new should rule-out certain things, but the traxxas .15 engine is notoriously troublesome to tune, especially for newbies.

Make sure your engine isn't being run too lean - otherwise the resulting damage (from over-heating) will make it impossible to get the engine to run properly ever again.

If you can, check out the numerous carb tuning 'how to' type guides here on RCtech and other forums. If you still don't get any joy, take a trip to your nearest club and get an expert to help you get it tuned. If the expert can't get it tuned, send the engine back to traxxas!

Regards

Horatio

Last edited by Horatio; 05-19-2005 at 03:09 AM.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

What plug are you running? Mine hated McCoys, but ran great on OS #8. Also what fuel are you using and how old is it? Age of fuel and how you take care of it plays a part. Just a thought...
Old 05-19-2005, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

To choose a plug, match the heat rating of the plug to the nitro content in the fuel you use. Generally, the higher the nitro content, the colder the plug and vice versa. If in doubt, scan through the forums for more detailed info or visit a club and talk to the owner of the least 'problematic' Tmaxx.

Tmaxxs can run good, once everything is right - including getting the mixtures into 'the Zone'. But the .15's are quite demanding - good luck.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The trick to finding "the zone" is making very very small adjustments to the needles and running the truck a little in between each tiny turn of the screwdriver. If you crank it 1/4 turn each time you will never find that sweet spot called "the zone".

So find a big empty parking lot....and have some patience....and then the fun begins.