Search

Savage X SS - Good Mods for Me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Savage X SS - Good Mods for Me?

Hey everyone,

I just picked up a Savage X SS kit I plan to tinker with over the winter. I was very seriously considering the XL but in the end I really wanted to build it myself.

I should also say that this truck is for bashing. No racing, no tracks, no parking lots. This will likely see most of its use on a 100 acre farmstead.

Question 1: Is it worthwhile to bring the truck to XL spec in terms of wheelbase, tire diameter, and engine power? One thing I will add here is that I don't get a lot of enjoyment from wheelies. I saw an XL with 5B wheels/tires and I really like that setup (at least on paper).

Question 2: Is the K4.6 a good engine? I like my eBay so selling the kit motor and going to an LRP .30 or Picco .28 is not out of the question. Where is the 'power limit' for a Savage? My last two trucks were Traxxas and I know there were a lot of accommodations that had to be made for high HP engines.

Question 3: Are there any 'must-do' upgrades? For those that speak Traxxas is there anything on the Savage X that needs attention like T-MAXX bulkheads?

I think that covers things for now. Thanks ahead of time for the help!

-Tony
Old 12-15-2012, 03:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It takes alot of power to turn the 5b tires, i wouldn't do it. I would look into some Proline trenchers or Big Joes for good bashing tires. I have never ran the k 4.6 engine so i cant say there but if its anything like the ae 4.60 motor it should have plenty of power but the lrp .28 or the .30 is a nice upgrade and so is the O.S. .30.