Wiki Posts
Search

Aftershock or LST-XXL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Aftershock or LST-XXL?

Unfortunately for all you die-hard nitro fans, I will be converting this to electric before running either engine. The question is which truck?

The LST-XXL is $600 and I can sell the engine/pipe along with the DX3S to get the cost down. But the Aftershock is only $350 and again, I can sell the two items to bring the cost down, albeit for less money.

I'm leaning towards the LST but is the extra cost worth it? Both are around the same length and width but is the LST built that much better or am I just paying more for the engine and TX upgrade?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

There are a lot of considerable upgrades when comparing XXL to Aftershock. If you're looking to watch the budget, stick with the aftershock, and upgrade as necessary...

I own an LST, and an XXL. Both have been converted to BL, and both have been upgraded similarly, if not identically. RPM A-arms, Aluminum steering knuckles, and bellcranks, and Ti-Ni Diffs.

The obvious difference being the size of the XXL over the aftershock (or LST). The XXL is really massive, and not as nimble on the track as my LST is. Therefore I've dedicated the XXL to bashing, and the LST to racing. So, depending on what you intend on doing with the truck may also sway your decision.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Ok, but I dont see where the difference in size is apparent?
Weight, length and width are almost identical between the LST-XXL and the Aftershock.

What am I missing?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:37 AM
Tech Champion

Not just the size of the truck (which really is just a bit longer chassis on the XXL) itself, but the key drivetrain and other important components... The XXL is much beefier throughout. I personally don't like the longer chassis - wasn't necessary IMO. Just a marketing gag to respond to the Savage XL. But still, the XXL has most of the stuff from the LST2 that was upgraded and beefed up from the first gen of LST's - which is what the Aftershock is basically...

I also think the resale value of the stuff you want to sell - engine, pipe, radio, etc.. is better from the XXL.

The Aftershock has some dumb features IMO - 14mm hexes, a bushing in the 2-speed instead of a bearing, the wheels are still massively heavy, but the arms and everything are much thinner, the XXL has better gearing for speed(both inside the transmission with higher output gears, plus a one-tooth higher count on the clutch bell), etc.. For a nitro fan the pipe sucks, but yeah, no biggie for you.. Anyway, I just think the LST2/XXL is a better buy from the get-go than the Aftershock. Though yeah, for someone on a budget, the AS is a good starter truck. Lots of people seem to really like them. I might just be a snob cuz I started with LST2's and can't imagine taking a step back..

Here are some pics to compare beefiness(the thicker stuff is obviously LST2/XXL):

Last edited by Herrsavage; 08-12-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

10/4 on the lst-2,,,,,,,,,i kept the two speed added a clutchbell+cen7" tires to keep the front end down beefed up the rear dif. and 62mph,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,runs like its on rails,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 08-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Thanks HS.....the difference is obvious. The LST-XXL is the better choice.

Just needed to confirm with those in-the-know.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The aftershock is substandard in every way as seen above and very easy to break. The LST2 has all the XXL beef if you can find one of those. They built the LST2, then changed the name to XXL with the addition of the larger engine (454 V/S 427) and stretched chassis. I personally prefer a shorter wheelbase so I specifically went looking for an LST2 and got all the beef with the wheelbase I prefer for more "fun".
Old 08-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

You can also convert the Aftershock to LST2 spec for $110 if you find a good deal on one:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ce-Upgrade-Kit
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd say just get one that's already a beast
Old 08-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

Well a Losi LST-XXL is on order....got the Losi E-conversion kit coming as well.
Anything else I should look at or consider upgrading?

Oh, and what do I do with this transmission since it is a 2 speed? Do I need to worry about this?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Tech Champion

You'd be doing yourself a significant favor IMO if you got yourself a New Era rollbar.

RC Raven shock springs are good too if you want to jump a lot. Losi yellow springs maybe.

I also like a wing kit which acts somewhat like a wheelie bar. With the New Era rollbar and a wing kit, pretty much everything on the chassis is well protected too.

Last but not least, with Losi trucks you have to check all metal to metal screws - especially for ex. the grub screws in the drivetrain, and make sure they are threadlocked. I even put a bit of TL on the wheel nuts. Have fun with it..
Old 08-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Tell me where to get this roll bar and I will probably order it.

A wing kit is another thing I ordered already.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wing kits are a great idea my Erne needs one desperately that doesn't clash with my summit body
Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Check out my add for my 1/8 raminator...its brand new and cheap.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

^^^ Lol, what would I or anyone do with that?

Really tho, dont come into threads and peddle your wares. You just look desperate and sleazy.