Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Losi XXL, electrical conversion, anyone done it before? >

Losi XXL, electrical conversion, anyone done it before?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi XXL, electrical conversion, anyone done it before?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

this is a fun project and you will enjoy the result..i converted one of my LST2 into a E-LST2..imense power when i want it with fully configuration capability - Mamba Monster ESC..The Hobbywing - maybe limitted in its config, but still ok.

when i want the power and noise of an engine, I would use my nitro LST2..equally fun.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Default GUYS

why dont you just get a muggy and run it brushless??? they hold up way better and you get the best of both worlds.....truggy and LST ???? i love both of mine they can take anythign you throw at them...
Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I got a LST2 for trade and am converting it to brushless. Also found a brand new XXL chassis for $25. I will be using the XXL chassis and get the parts to convert the shocks and shock towers over to the Muggy ones.

Should have pics of the home made motor mount soon. I bought the Losi single speed hub and a 24 tooth mod 1 pinion. Turnigy trackstar 2100 KV motor and a Hobbywing 150 pro ESC. Up and running for less than $200. I already have 6 2 cell lipos. Will run 2 in series for 4 cell total and I'm building a battery tray out of aluminum sheet from an old street sign.

It can be done for cheap if you are patient and shop around. No need to spend $300 for a motor and ESC for a truck that gets used so seldom.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

Here the Hobbywing 2200 +150 thing would cost €245 shipped. Then you need the converstion set - €85. Then pinions. That's into dumb territory when you're talking about a used old LST2.. Also, still need pinion(s), battery tray holder, or whatever..

MT4 G3 RTR for €425 shipped..

If I can find out more about the MT4's electronics, I might be able to know if at some point, if I bought the MT4, I could sell the roller and keep the guts to convert an LST2 then..

But everything I have seen suggests that an LST2 conversion is massively expensive for what you're going to end up with - a used truck with a new electric motor and ESC...
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Rookie

what exactly is needed to convert a lst xxl to electric?

The list I had was as follows:

LST2 SINGLE SPEED HUB FROM TDR $35
LST/LST2/AFTSHK BS Motor Mount, M3 Screw Mount FROM TDR $70
LST/LST2/AFTSHK ESC Mount FROM TDR $17
Castle Creations Mamba Monster 25V + 5mm 2200 kv Combo $295

If going for a 4s setup, what batteries would be needed? Charger? Also battery trays.

What about pinion size? 18T?

What needs to be done to the transmission internally?

I'm going to make an assumption that I could get more for the removed parts new/unrun then if I beat on the truck for a while.

Did I miss anything?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

At the costs involved, it would make most sense to get an XXL AND an MT4 G3. Run them both and see which you like better. If you fall in love with nitro, sell the MT4. It seems to be pretty popular right now. If you fall in love with brushless, convert the XXL. I just don't think a conversion is good value for money, when just converting costs more than a whole new MT4 G3....

Kind of unfair to start up with your first nitro in winter though. I really prefer nitro myself. The sound of the revving engine, hitting the 2-speed shift, revving up again and screaming at 30,000 RPM's at 40+ mph.. I don't care if the brushless wooshes by at 50mph. Just not the same..

As for gutting an XXL..., keep in mind that chop shops regularly sell 454's out of XXL's for under $100(great price for that engine btw.. It's worth $140-150 afaic..) I don't know if the market is all that great for the nitro guts from an XXL right now. Maybe though - IDK.. I did that with an LST2 a few years ago, and it went well enough - not as well as I'd hoped.., but it was OK. But those were different times... Back then an LRP Spec 3 cost like €170 - now I can get a new one from a shop for €110... I got my current 454 for €89 shipped new(from a forum though..) That's peanuts.. I wouldn't have much faith in being able to get more than €100...., and even then it might take time.. That's here though - not sure about US prices..
Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Have a look at Hobbypartz.com. You can get a Hobbywing esc and a motor for under $200. You want to get the 120amp esc as the minimum, preferably the 150amp which is only $10 more at $109. Motor requirements would be more according to size, 4074 being the minimum (40mm dia 74mm long). No need for bigger diameter, but longer will have more torque and run cooler. There's a Tacon 4074 2250kv for $60 that would do nicely on 4s in an LST.

Converting the truck can be expensive or cheap, depends on how you do it. I converted my nephews LST for about $20. Made the motor mount out of scrap alum. Battery tray was out of 1/8 inch Lexan cut, heated and bent into a U shape, $8 for battery straps, all mounted to the throttle and reverse servo mounts. Converted it to single speed by removing the 2nd gear clutch and using JB Weld to make the 2nd gear outer hub and inner bub one piece. With 2200kv on 4s. 25T pinion 63T spur with stock tires it hits 45mph with plenty of power. This isn't his, its one I recently sold, but it has the same mount and jb weld single speed.

The Losi kit isn't really all that good. The motor mount limits gearing to 25/63 forcing you into either 2200kv on 4s or something more like 1600kv on 5s both for about 45mph. I wouldn't gear a 4074 sized motor for higher speeds in either case with the Losi mount. It doesn't contact the motor (inside dia is 43mm) so it actually holds motor heat in. It is possible to cut the Losi mount down a bit and mount a fan but who wants to cut up a new mount. Putting the battery tray up front is also a must in my opinion, cuts down the wheely's and improves handling. The single speed hub is also not included in the kit, the Losi single speed hub is reasonably priced at about $15 though. This is how my LST was arranged with the Losi kit before I revamped it.

As far as the actual truck itself handling the power. I've had no problems with either of my trucks and I tend to run my slipper clutch's on the tight side. But I know how not to abuse the drivetrain while still using lots of throttle. I should note I bought both of my trucks used and only made sure the diffs were shimmed properly and the bearings not worn out before use. While my tastes run more towards Monster Truck style, truggy's really appeal to me as far as driving them is concerned. I've been tempted by the Thunder Tigers many times myself, the price is hard to beat too.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by upinsmokes
what exactly is needed to convert a lst xxl to electric?

The list I had was as follows:

LST2 SINGLE SPEED HUB FROM TDR $35
LST/LST2/AFTSHK BS Motor Mount, M3 Screw Mount FROM TDR $70
LST/LST2/AFTSHK ESC Mount FROM TDR $17
Castle Creations Mamba Monster 25V + 5mm 2200 kv Combo $295

If going for a 4s setup, what batteries would be needed? Charger? Also battery trays.

What about pinion size? 18T?

What needs to be done to the transmission internally?

I'm going to make an assumption that I could get more for the removed parts new/unrun then if I beat on the truck for a while.

Did I miss anything?
FOC for the transmission.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Kind of unfair to start up with your first nitro in winter though. I really prefer nitro myself. The sound of the revving engine, hitting the 2-speed shift, revving up again and screaming at 30,000 RPM's at 40+ mph.. I don't care if the brushless wooshes by at 50mph. Just not the same..
And you're right, its not the same....by the time your nitro truck hits 2nd gear, the electric will already have "wooshed" by you, on its back wheels.

Why are you on a electric conversion thread spouting off about nitro anyways?
Old 12-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Tech Champion

I prefer nitro, but want to try an electric. Shrug..
Old 12-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so how is the progress coming along for your conversion man to the guy who modded the losi conversion what did you do to change her up
Old 12-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rustlererad3
so how is the progress coming along for your conversion man to the guy who modded the losi conversion what did you do to change her up
I assume you mean me. If you compare my pic (bottom one) to one on Losi site you will see the differences. Main thing is the Battery tray being mounted up front. I cut the top portion off so I could keep an Rx box up front, in this case a E-Revo Rx box. I cut a piece of Lexan to mount on the rear shelf of the chassis and used a E-Revo esc hold down to mount the esc. IMO its a better layout, lowers the cg and puts more weight up front, it all helps handling.

Worst part about the Losi kit is the mount. Its 43mm inside diameter, so it doesn't come in contact with any availible motor. This prevents it from acting as a heatsink and actually holds motor heat in. I considered cutting up the mount to mount a fan and get more airflow to the motor, but it might adverslt effect its strength. Was easier to just make a new mount out of aluminum angle esposing the motor to airflow, allowing for more gearing options and a bigger diameter motor. Other than the custom motor mount the rest of the truck has remained the same.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Well I decided to bite the bullet and go brushless for my new LST XXL. Have no intention of having it move one foot nitro.

Order an engine mount and single speed hub. Also ordered the Castle Creations Mamba Monster 25V + 5mm 2200 kv to go with it.

Just have to decide on what batteries and charger. Also need to get a battery tray.

Need anything else?

Was thinking of the Venon packs to run on it, probably grab two of them. Just need to decide on a charger.

http://www.amazon.com/Venom-4500mAh-...I1UTGYSYDNSSAG

Was also thinking of 2 of these and a Hyperion charger:

http://www.amazon.com/5000mah-Batter...I2ELF0FYHWGA5J

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperion-Eos72...I2XX43J9CEY79O

Last edited by upinsmokes; 12-18-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added parts
Old 12-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

I'd go Gens Ace instead of the Venom. I've seen too many Venom come into my lhs puffed, they seem marginal in 1/8th applications from what I've seen. Never tried a Gens Ace myself, but they get good reviews.

Hyperion makes a great charger, I have one and love it. There are cheaper options, but they generally have a lower output rating when using household AC current to power them. BTW, every AC/DC charger I've seen has a lower output when using AC to power it. The AC/DC power supplies built into them just aren't as powerful as the external ones. With the 90w output of the Hyperion you posted, you can charge a 4s 5000 pack at 5amps. With a cheaper 50w charger you'd be limited to a little less than 3amps making the charge take longer.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ok, I have just done the LST2 brushless conversion. I spared money where I felt I could, and didn't where I wanted top of the line. here is my purchase list

I purchased Overdrivens Brushless conversion. He definitely knows whats he is doing. I just cant wait to get mine on a track

$25 to ship out my trade (Mini MGT 3.0 roller w/ servos and engine in unknown condition. with less than 1 gal through it,)

$20 on some screws, CVD rebuild kit, and new steering links.

09/05/12

$12 on shock oil and diff fluid
32.07 on Bearing set from Fast Eddie
few bucks for some shims.

Got stuff for my XL diffs coming in with some shims for the losi diffs. will rebuild them Sept 13th.

09/20/12

$80 Buying FS-Gt3B and sending it out to be modded will post pics upon return

09/25/12
$111 purchased 2 255oz HV Metal gear Servos W/CC 10A BEC and Castle Link USB programmer. (buy the 20 amps castle bec not the 10A the 10A has been known to fail)

10/03/12
ordered 4 atx stock xxl wheels/tires ordered new bellcranks was $50 but had $20 ebay bucks

10/20/12
$150 Ordered the dude racing motor mount. esc mount, losi battery tray, LOSI high friction slipper pads and 2 XO-1 pinions, one 34T one 29T

10/25/12
$540 ordered Tekin RX8 T8 1550kv combo with Hotwire, EC5 connectors, and 2 3s Venom 50C 5000mah hard cases

I ended up spending $976 from start to finish

You can of course get a cheaper motor/esc. I have to say that I love my venom batteries, the LHS i goto just sent a bunch in for warranty and all of them were replaced, that is why I mainly chose venom. I am very careful with my batteries The EC5 clips were a necessity since I am going to run 6s. I am running 29/63 gearing and still can pull wheelies easily on command with no heat issues. I am adding muggy shock towers and lower shock mounts in a week or so . I went with Tekin because I want to use this MT on a track on non-race days, and I liked their software. I haven't put it on the track, as I am still modifying its general setup. here are a few pics

B4 solder:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.