Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good sensored motor for 13lb MT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Good sensored motor for 13lb MT?

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone knows of a good sensored motor for a 13lb monster truck that is reasonably priced. Im aware of the tekin, but its kind of expensive. I am running a 3674 2350kv EZrun motor in it at the moment, and it has great power, but the startup is rough and i cant finesse the throttle very well at low speeds. I use the truck for climbing hills,crawling around on things, and in the woods, so it would be nice if i had some more throttle control. I also thought about a used Novak HV motor for $30-40 which im sure would be a good motor. Im thinking i could gear it down to keep it from running too hot, but im afraid it would be low on power? Its about the only sensored motor i have seen for reasonable though, new or used. Thanks for any help
Old 10-17-2011, 03:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Xerun makes sensored motors.
There not cheap, but cheaper than Tekin
http://www.hobbypartz.com/xerun.html
What ESC are you running? Ive ran XErun 80A with Castle 1515 2200kv sensorless motors and others. Ive learned the Xeruns paired with a quality motor will operate very, very smooth. Almost cog free. I also think a fatter motor will provide MUCH cooler operating temps. You could get the 2000kv 4074 in the link above ($120) with a XErun 80A($65) and get your self a reliable sensored set up for under $200 shipped! Cant beat that and Hobbywings XE ESC's are some of the best and most reliable ESC's Ive ever ran.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Im running a hobbyking 150a ESC. It is setup to run a sensored motor. I like it pretty well for the most part, i would just like a smoother startup for playing around at slow speeds. The motor i am running has gobs of power, more than i need really (i keep the throttle EPA turned down), just would like some driveability. Im thinking that i probably wont find anything motor wise for cheap to run this beast. Id say the truck will do between 40-45mph now. Wonder how an HV motor would power it geared for say, 30mph? I could always swap back to the EZrun motor if i wanted more power for normal running, then run the novak for the slow stuff. I just hate to pay $120 for a motor
Old 10-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 187 (100%+)

Your best bet would be a used tekin truggy motor. I picked one up for $80 i think, somewhere around there. Only reason i got sensored is because its in a summit and i still wanted to be able to crawl. I have a non sensored castle, and tacon motors in my other trucks and they run great!! You can find a tacon for about $60 and its an insane motor for the price. You might want to go that route unless you really need it to be sensored.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Im almost thinking it may be more in the ESC than the motor as far as the low rpm driveability goes. I like the ESC just fine. Always stays cool. I would like to try a different ESC just for kicks though, to see what kind of difference it made...
Old 10-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You might want to try a Titan 775 or something similar equivalent, just to see if it gives you a different response on the low end. My Summit is about the same weight, and it performs well in low gear with a 775. You can pick one up on fleabay for $25ish. Or if you do go that route, a DeWalt motor can be swapped in for loads of torque compared to the 775. Just requires a little more solder time.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Have you tried tuning the ESC you already have ? Like turning up the start power , that can help with cogging as well as gearing it lower .

ICK on the brushed motor , why go backwards in technology ?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

The 775 would be a fine motor and would definately have good low speed driveability, but im going to stick with brushless. I like the power, run time, and low heat too much. I have a brushed 3906 2 speed e-maxx i could run, but im probably going to sell it because i really dont need 2 eletric MT's. Just gotta try and get it a little smoother on the bottom

BashemSmashem- I have the program card, but i havent made too many changes. Just changed the lipo cutoff voltage. The timing is on "normal" i believe and i may have turned the start up speed to a lower setting thinking it would help, but i cant remember. I need to mess with it some more i guess. I should have it back up and running by this weekend, so maybe i can mess with it some then.

Thanks for the suggestions guys