Community
Wiki Posts
Search

buying a monster truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by kenchy
i would say the revo because i have found hpi crap and unrelable forparts the cars just fall apart in seconds
revo is better because i have one and it just is the best
Talk to the hand!!

Everyone else:

Feel free to follow the baby's advice......
Old 11-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Horatio
Talk to the hand!!

Everyone else:

Feel free to follow the baby's advice......
yea follow the baby's advice
parts fall apart in seconds confirmed baby talk
Old 11-17-2004, 01:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jfc_tech
yea follow the baby's advice
parts fall apart in seconds confirmed baby talk

Old 11-17-2004, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I'm sure the HPI truck doesn't "fall apart in seconds", but maybe it has broken a supension hub or two when first released. They've been updated I believe?.........They are all good trucks, just different versions of the same thing......have fun, Jim
Old 11-17-2004, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Well in one whole season of racing, here's what I managed to break:

1 wishbone

1 one way bearing

1 back plate

The wishbone was a result of a full throttle, head-on crash with a truck that had jumped lanes - he thought he could travel up the straight the wrong way to get to where he wanted to go!! Jeez!!! But you should have seen his Truck.......all I can say is Ow! Even the rear shock tower broke - BTW, it wasn't HPI....

The back plate failed for no apparent reason but was replaced free of charge.

One way bearings don't last forever. I had one in my box as a spare - it's common sense really. I changed it during a RRCI meeting (we ran Nitros in a seperate heat) after marshalling duties - it took 5 minutes.

Other problems = zero. The Savage is as tough as an old pair of boots.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

If you're interested in a NICE Team Associated MGT, check this one our on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5934915943&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

or auction # 5934915943
Old 11-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Tech Rookie

savage!!!

salute

Has anyone of you tried the zombie tires by Losi?
Old 11-18-2004, 05:25 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Ever think about a Tamiya TNX. Very simple design and with the new OS made .18 small block it really rips. Only weighs a little over 7 pounds and handles well. Just another truck to think about. I'm partial to Tamiya so this is my truck of choice. It is capable of racing as the results show in its first two races. They left it for the most part stock to.

The Savage is also a nice truck if your looking for more of the basher type. Can also be raced but they don't normally handle as well as some other true monster trucks. A very nice truck with many hopups available.

T-Maxx is still nice as it has more hopups than any truck. Old or not it is tried and true. Can't go wrong with this truck. To me the 2.5 motor is strong but they seem to run hot and are a little tougher to get running than some. Yes I know people will post that mine runs great but overall working at a hobby shop this motor tends to need more help to get running well when compared to some other RTR trucks.

LST is really cool as well. Comes with a great radio setup and dual steering servos. Has massisve shocks and is a huge trruck overall. Just one more good truck to think about.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by nitropsycho
savage!!!

salute
Salute back at ya Savage dude...
Old 11-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Wyd:

A nice balanced overview, leaning towards Tmaxx tendancies

I try and be free of bias, but can't help praising the Savage. Out of the box, the Tmax handles better than a Savage SS for racing. But once the Savage has the steering sorted - it's a different story. Savage's have more power, are more stable and soak up large jumps better than a Tmaxx. Having driven both trucks, I can turn better laps with a Savage SS on most tracks so long as it has decent tyres and has the steering mod done.

The Tmaxx 2.5 feels a little softer on the throttle (even when correctly tuned and geared) but does have a slightly more nimble 'feel' - it can change direction quicker for really short, tight/narrow tracks. The Savage can generally launch in a more stable manner and is better over bumpy sections of track. I regularly race our regional 1/10th 2wd electric champ, but his Tmaxx can't keep up with my Savage SS. I'd love to claim that it's all down to my 'immense' driving skill, but I suspect that my Savage has a 'slight' advantage.

The Revo feels softer on the throttle too and is also very softly sprung, but overall I prefer the way the Revo drives compared to the Tmaxx. With better gearing, a firmer rate spring and racing tyres, I suspect I could turn much faster laps. But I would still prefer to see the Revo with a big block - for better punch.

Some of my pals are trying out the new LST - it's such a promising looking machine, I can't wait to have a drive...

It's a big machine, but with Mach .26 it's hardly likely to hang about!! Nice radio too - however, for me personally as I already own a Futaba 3vc - I'd rather just buy a rolling chassis and sort out my own gear. Hopefully Losi will bring out a kit version soon. I wan't a new truck for 2005 but I'm holding tight to see what happens. I'll still be racing my Savage next year, but during next season I'll definitely be tinkering with a new truck
Old 11-18-2004, 03:21 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Horatio it is hard not to be bias towards certain trucks. The Savage and the T-Maxx for me are the best bang for the main reason is they have the most hopups available. Now I like Tamiya stuff so I will tend to lean toward the TNX just because I like to be different and also the Tamiya factor.

Nowdays all the trucks are really nice. Here is a pic of my truck just for something a little different.
Attached Thumbnails buying a monster truck-tnx.jpg  
Old 11-18-2004, 03:21 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

One more picture with the Proline Crowd Pleaser 2.0 body on my TNX.
Attached Thumbnails buying a monster truck-tnx2.jpg  
Old 11-19-2004, 02:53 AM
Tech Elite

Wow! That TNX looks awesome. Is that a Mugen airfilter you're using?

I've heard alot of good things about them, a couple of local guys have just bought TNX's infact - so I suspect that next year is going to be a much tougher season for my Savage.......

It appears that the TNX is greater than the sum of it's parts.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:07 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally posted by Horatio
Wow! That TNX looks awesome. Is that a Mugen airfilter you're using?

I've heard alot of good things about them, a couple of local guys have just bought TNX's infact - so I suspect that next year is going to be a much tougher season for my Savage.......

It appears that the TNX is greater than the sum of it's parts.
Thankyou. Beleive it or not that is the stock airfilter that came with my truck. The pipe is a XTM Pro pipe for the XTM X-Cellerator. Seems to be a nice blend of looks and power. The pipe is setup for the XTM .18 motor so that is why it works well with my .18 TNX motor. Another thing for me is I hate dirt on my truck so the with my exhaust like this my truck stays clean as can be.

I will get pics of my track tonight. It is inddor clay and we can run slicks 99% or the time. Traction is unreal. Trucks stay clean and only the bottom of the chassis or bumpers get dirty.

Brian
Old 11-19-2004, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Can't wait to see pictures of your track.

I agree, there is definitely a 'Tamiya factor' - it's hard to quantify. It's as evident today as it was when I got my Sand Scorcher - 22 years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.