Quick question??? >

Quick question???

Quick question???

Old 01-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Unhappy Quick question???

Hi too all again..

I have a simple question for you guys. I have a xxl and have cut the window out for air for the motor. Is there something out there to give the body strength?? My body is splitting at the window on both sides from it landing on its lid...

So if there is anything out there to keep my body splitting any farther please let me know I would much appreciate it ...
Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default roll cage

try a roll cage.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Shoe Goo and PVC Mesh Flex.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

New era roll cage and proline body.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up thanks guys!!!

Originally Posted by trxnut454 View Post
New era roll cage and proline body.
You know what's funny. I have a proline f650 body that's not painted now and Wating on paint. I don't like the idea of a roll cage. Don't they way a lot and get in the way??? I do like nitro suggestion because I'm using the stock body as a basher and since I cut the whole window out it weakened the front of the truck. I'm not going to do that to my proline body when I get it finished up. The stock body I don't care about it's beat to hell anyways. I just want to stop it from spitting any farther.... thanks to you guys for your suggestions. That's why I come to these fourms for people like you guys so thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by doug e fresh View Post
You know what's funny. I have a proline f650 body that's not painted now and Wating on paint. I don't like the idea of a roll cage. Don't they way a lot and get in the way??? I do like nitro suggestion because I'm using the stock body as a basher and since I cut the whole window out it weakened the front of the truck. I'm not going to do that to my proline body when I get it finished up. The stock body I don't care about it's beat to hell anyways. I just want to stop it from spitting any farther.... thanks to you guys for your suggestions. That's why I come to these fourms for people like you guys so thanks
Those aluminum 'roll-cage' will in fact damage your body even further as your polycarbonate will face the 'impacts' from the 'roll-cage'...

Cut holes in 'round-corners', always, square cut-outs will caused 'splitting' upon impact, you can cut square ones, but the corners/edges have to be 'rounded'.

Use heavy-duty cloth duct tape, those grey colors ones you see at most hardware shops and DIY stores and tape them inside the body shell.

Hope it helps.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roychan69 View Post
Cut holes in 'round-corners', always, square cut-outs will caused 'splitting' upon impact, you can cut square ones, but the corners/edges have to be 'rounded'.
Yah use round cuts at the corner otherwise you create stress points. I use a drill with a large bit to mark the corners and cut from hole to hole.

Hope that helps
Old 01-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Those aluminum 'roll-cage' will in fact damage your body even further as your polycarbonate will face the 'impacts' from the 'roll-cage'...

Use heavy-duty cloth duct tape, those grey colors ones you see at most hardware shops and DIY stores and tape them inside the body shell.

Hope it helps.
That's also another good idea. I actually have duct tape. My question is will the tape really work if the splits are already there???

I plain on just cutting a small whole in the window so air can get to the motor. I'm not going to do what I have done with the stock body and cut the whole window out. I'm Probley going to cut out the whole middle and leave the rest there so it will have the window as a brace.. once again thanks to all who have helped.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:28 AM
Tech Champion

That's also another good idea. I actually have duct tape. My question is will the tape really work if the splits are already there???

I plain on just cutting a small whole in the window so air can get to the motor. I'm not going to do what I have done with the stock body and cut the whole window out. I'm Probley going to cut out the whole middle and leave the rest there so it will have the window as a brace.. once again thanks to all who have helped.
It might prevent further 'splittings', applied the HD cloth duct tape evenly, perhaps 2 layers if you prefer, but bear in mind it'll make your body shell slightly 'heavier'...

I have the Proline Ford F650 body for my Savage, besides trimming the heat sink and the fuel tank lid area (I didn't do the 'mid-tank' mod, so my fuel tank is still beside the engine); I only cut a 1.5" x 1.5" square but round 'corners' cut-out at the 'wind-screen', the side 'windows' I didn't cut a thing.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would just cut the hole in the window as a large circle, much in the same way that you see the nitro touring cars doing. With my Dodge Ram body, there is enough air coming from under the body that I don't need to do anything, and I wanted to avoid cutting the window at all costs, so I tried something different as well. I found at TGN an air scoop for the Baja 5B windows. It comes with a large and a small scoop in the kit. I used the large scoop to create a hood scoop and used the included mesh screen to prevent big things from getting in through there.

I also used the smaller scoop to create an air intake for the overtray of my Blitz. They actually work! I don't have any numbers on the Savage engine for temps, but it has been far from overheating. My electronics in the Blitz saw a 5-10* drop in temps after adding the scoop to the overtray.

This is just another thought for you, I hate cutting windows myself.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Good quality duct tape works good. The shoe goo and drywall mesh works good too. Gorilla tape is awesome. Thought I might add; It's a good idea to drill or punch a small hole at the end of the cracks in the lexan. That will help to stop those cracks from growing.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with any kind of metal roll cage. I've seen lots of people buy them, use them for a short while, and remove them and never use them again.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

At the end of a crack, you can take a small drill bit and drill a hole at the very end of the crack. it wont crack any further.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by helibrian View Post
Good quality duct tape works good. The shoe goo and drywall mesh works good too. Gorilla tape is awesome. Thought I might add; It's a good idea to drill or punch a small hole at the end of the cracks in the lexan. That will help to stop those cracks from growing.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with any kind of metal roll cage. I've seen lots of people buy them, use them for a short while, and remove them and never use them again.
You know Brian. I though about that myself.

I also though about super glue. Doesn't super glue melt plastic??? The reason I was going to use super glue is the fact that it melts plastic right??? If I do use super glue I'm going to pull the cracks apart a little bit and pour the super glue in there so it can bind better.. I'll also back that up with duct tape.. thanks guys for your awesome ideas. I'll defiantly keep in mind about the hood scoop
Old 01-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

You know Brian. I though about that myself.

I also though about super glue. Doesn't super glue melt plastic??? The reason I was going to use super glue is the fact that it melts plastic right??? If I do use super glue I'm going to pull the cracks apart a little bit and pour the super glue in there so it can bind better.. I'll also back that up with duct tape.. thanks guys for your awesome ideas. I'll defiantly keep in mind about the hood scoop
Don't use any kind of super glue or CA glue; I tried, it will NOT work...
And it'll 'disfigure' your nice paint work...

I have even tried with a small piece of lexan, apply drops of super glue on it and apply on the crack line as a 'doubler plate', and again, it does NOT work...

Use epoxy resin if you really want to 'mend' the cracks.

Hope it helps.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Hope it helps.
I should have said a new era roll BAR. It will not do as much body damage as running without it would.