Wiki Posts
Search

Issues with Novak HV in E-Revo

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Issues with Novak HV in E-Revo

So I just bought this truck and received it in the mail last night. I charged up 2 7 cell batteries plugged it all in, picked it up in the shop, made sure steering worked and throttle/brake/reverse, all was good. Took it outside and put it on the ground. Hit the throttle and it goes for a split second then no throttle response for about 5 seconds (the esc was flashing for the 5 seconds, I think its the same pattern as when it first starts up). It did this every time. I took the truck inside, put the stock brushed motors and esc in and everything works great so I know its not the servos or radio.

Anyone have any insight into how to fix this? Im going to try to put the novak stuff back in tonight and see what exactly the esc flashes.

Thanks in advance
Scuba
Old 10-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Just guessing, but I suspect those batteries cannot handle the current draw of that motor. So when you throttle it the voltage drops too much and the esc cuts out.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mulepic
Just guessing, but I suspect those batteries cannot handle the current draw of that motor. So when you throttle it the voltage drops too much and the esc cuts out.
Thanks for the idea... dunno why they would say it will work on 14 cell nimh though??
Old 10-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Put everything back together yesterday, took it out and if I accelerate slowly it works great, but if I hit the throttle too fast it resets... dont know if that helps maybe figure it out?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I don't know about that motor/esc and amp draw thing, it could very well be that. But I notice you never mentioned if you actually setup the esc with the radio. Maybe that is it, unless you did set it up, but just didn't type it.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by SloRacer1080
I don't know about that motor/esc and amp draw thing, it could very well be that. But I notice you never mentioned if you actually setup the esc with the radio. Maybe that is it, unless you did set it up, but just didn't type it.
It came with a radio, I just assumed it would be set up properly already. I guess I will have to check that tonight. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Try to find someone in the area with LiPo's. Ask to borrow them to troubleshoot your Revo and see how it reacts to having LiPo's in it. That is what I would do. Maybe even your LHS will be willing to allow you to troubleshoot that way.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wolf16731
Try to find someone in the area with LiPo's. Ask to borrow them to troubleshoot your Revo and see how it reacts to having LiPo's in it. That is what I would do. Maybe even your LHS will be willing to allow you to troubleshoot that way.
What's being discussed in regards to the batteries is probably the issue. Lipos will solve it. Whats MOST LIKELY happening is, when you pull full throttle the ESC wants to suck a LOT of juice out of the batteries. The batteries you have can't handle that instant drain and so you get the esc stalling. If you ran lipos, they can handle that level of drain.

It's also why when you accelerate slowly, there's no issue. You're not allowing the esc to freely suck the batteries "dry".

This is a guess based on what you've typed. Not necessarily right though.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Rookie

So I thought I would give it a try with a couple lipos from my mini revo (my lhs is more than 2 hours away and no one else around has lipos for me to use). It worked perfectly. Guess that is the problem...

Not sure why Novak would say this thing can run on 14 cell nimh then?!?!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It will work on 14cells but they must be high quality cells, not cheap, old, or worn out.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScubaStevo87
So I thought I would give it a try with a couple lipos from my mini revo (my lhs is more than 2 hours away and no one else around has lipos for me to use). It worked perfectly. Guess that is the problem...

Not sure why Novak would say this thing can run on 14 cell nimh then?!?!
Your old Nimh weren't able to supply enough juice. It's not an issue of 14 cells being too many.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Im reviving an old thread but it is a relevant topic. I picked up an E-Maxx with a Novak HV 4.5 setup. Its currentlly setup with a 68 spur gear and 12 ring.

My question is that im running 2 7 cell nimh batteries and the truck runs fine (The thing flies) and the motor and esc appear to stay fairly cool in temperature albeit I havent run it full throttle for too long a session. My concern is that if the draw is as high as it is, am I possibly ruining my batteries by using them? I just have a set of Traxxas 7 cells. Currently I have a set of the 7 cells that are dedicated to the E-Maxx so I can confirm that if it does damage them I will know that its the HV combo that does it.

I was eventually planning on moving to lipos but I read that the lipos could cause the motor and ESC to be overworked.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have a monster GT I converted to brushless.

When i converted the truck to brushless I was running 6 cell NiMh batteries in it. Run time wasnt bad, and power was good, but the batteries would come out of the truck smoking hot. Basically It took a LOT of life out of the 3 sets of batteries I was running before I went to LiPo's. Now with the LiPo's the batteries run cool as can be, and the run times and power are better.

How hot are your batteries when you finish a run? If they are pretty hot, then you know you are working them hard. If you drive fairly easy they may come out just warm, which is fine. But brushless is definately more strain on them and lipo is the best way to go. However, you already have the 7 cell's, worst you can do is run them till they are dead, then buy lipo's....
Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

This weekend Ill try to push the truck a little harder and get some temps of the battery, motor and ESC.

I do however believe that batteries on my slash 4x4 using the Velineon 3500 get hotter than what the ones on my E-Maxx did.

Originally Posted by Cummins Driver
I have a monster GT I converted to brushless.

When i converted the truck to brushless I was running 6 cell NiMh batteries in it. Run time wasnt bad, and power was good, but the batteries would come out of the truck smoking hot. Basically It took a LOT of life out of the 3 sets of batteries I was running before I went to LiPo's. Now with the LiPo's the batteries run cool as can be, and the run times and power are better.

How hot are your batteries when you finish a run? If they are pretty hot, then you know you are working them hard. If you drive fairly easy they may come out just warm, which is fine. But brushless is definately more strain on them and lipo is the best way to go. However, you already have the 7 cell's, worst you can do is run them till they are dead, then buy lipo's....