Wiki Posts
Search

old savage 21 pointers please

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default old savage 21 pointers please

Okay guys/gal after sevral months of lookin I've found the monster truck I want as a project
Build...its an old savage 21 rtr it comes with an extra axial engine. And extra parts like shocks and things like that...my guestions to all of you is.. what are things I can do to the drive line to make it bullet proof? I picked me up a piccio .28 to put in it. Then handeling ehat shocks should I get? I'm doin this a little at a time so any help through my project would be great.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

one thing i would do is hit ebay and buy two complete flux differentials(make sure it is the bulletproof ones the 29t/9t) and shock tower and the whole thing will bolt into your savage. then buy the dogbones from a xl or flux and buy the axles from a flux or xl depending if you want extended width or standard. after that you pretty much have a bulletproof drive train that can take anything. if you want to upgrade the shocks you should get the hpi big bores these things are bulletproof.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-5-9-SAVAGE-X...item27b2f4d1ee

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-5-9-SAVAGE-X...item5d29bc77db

http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-SAVAGE-XL-5-...item255b7f47ff

http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Savage-Flux-...item23081adfa4

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HPI-SAVAGE-B...item2ead7ea64d
Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

Would the 3speed transmission be a good by? Ill be doin a lot of bashing with this.what
About shocks? I like the looks of the double shocks but I'm goin for performance not looks so should I go with so bigbore and a single conversion or some piggybacks?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

stay away from the piggybacks they tend to leak.i run stock shocks with rcraven springs with 40 wt oil in them and i bash hard.the flux diffs are a good idea as they will withstand gobs of power.i upgraded all the bulkhead and tranny plastics to savage x on my daughters savage project just for ease of maintenance.also the x roll bar with engine cage is a good idea you can find them on ebay for a couple of bux
Old 06-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

All of the above suggestions are very good.

I love my triple rate springs from RC Raven. They are nasty, for sure. They soak up the small stuff very easily but are very resistant to bottoming out.

I use the 3-speed tranny with reverse in my rig, works like a dream.

Another thing I would look into is an aluminum clutch. I run HPI aluminum shoes on my rig with the Robinson Racing vented flywheel. Very nice.

Dual disk brakes are a good idea too.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

for shocks i would definitely go with the big bores, i have been running them for 1 year and i have never had any problems with them and they make the truck handle way better then the stock double shock setup. you can also buy the nylon big bores from the flux for half the price of the alloy ones.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

Okay I got the axial 28 s1 rebuilt and I'm workin on breakin it in and tunning on maxys 30%.
No that its rebuilt it it anawesome engine for this truck! Has tons of power ! Now I'm looking for a steering servo..what are some good servos between 70 and 100 dollars I'm new to monster trucks so anty help is gonna be awesome!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

You sir have a PM! I have some parts you may want for your build.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

I'll post pictures and builds for you later today when get home. A bunch of us here (none that have posted yet) have a LOT of experience with the X and savage projects in general. It's a fun mess to get into
Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

Awesome can't wait to see some pics! What do you mean a mess? Its not a traxxas tmaxx or revo...so what's the mess? haha
And dose it help to put center universails in center front and rear?