Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TNX

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Looking at the drive shafts of the TNX....any parts breakage or failure? THey look pretty lightweight to run on a big truck...lol

Man the price of the pro is a great value....makes for one of the best values in monster truck racing. Same price range as a Revo (stock) but with the tires and shocks needed to race...the Revo is still atleast tires away from the track.

Jeff
Old 03-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Supposedly, if you land hard on a corner at or near WOT, you can pop out the cross joint clips. I hear that that's about the only thing that ever really breaks on them.

I've got almost a gallon through mine and haven't broken anything...except for a chassis brace I cracked from slamming a hunk of cinderblock at full speed.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Re: rear exhaust engine on the TNX?

Originally posted by madjack
Question for those who race the TNX. Has anyone swapped out the stock motor with a rear exhaust yet? (I was wondering what maifold, pipe and starting system were being used)

Thanks in advance,

John
sooo, no motor up-grades yet? guess everyone is happy with the stock mill...
Old 03-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: rear exhaust engine on the TNX?

Originally posted by madjack
sooo, no motor up-grades yet? guess everyone is happy with the stock mill...
Yep. First nitro "anything" I've ever had and I couldn't be happier.

Next trip to Speedtech will be the big Proline hubs and 40 series bowties.

Then...it's off to the track.

Oh yeah...cool/cheap upgrade:

I have a bunch of park flyers here...I took a couple of the 6-cell packs from the Aerobird/Firebird XL planes and soldered on the plugs from busted up old servos. POOF...7.2v reciever pack that fits perfectly in the box!

The servos work really well with the higher voltage...the batts will go for 3 tanks, then dump. (900 mah) Failsafe is definitely required.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Default Anyone want stock shocks?

I have the stock shocks and one set of the Tamiya option springs (yelow, red, green)...anyone want an extra set or 8 to mess around with?

PP $20 (what the springs cost) and they're yours...you can have the clips, all the stock springs and the stock hardware. PM me if you want them.

I put the Powerstrokes on with all the MGT hardware and the stockers won't fit anymore...
Old 04-02-2005, 01:21 AM
Tech Elite

Default Raced the TNX tonight...

I tell you...if they make some good axles for these things...you know, good enough for a moron like me not to break...these things are gonna DOMINATE.

Mine is stock-ass, power-wise...stock everything, 20% fuel, only runs 220 in the heat of the day...and I could run with pretty much all the 1/8th scales on the straight. I even ran one over and took him out during practice...LOL (yes, he was on it...)

I've never run a gas anything before and only run a couple times off-road (and then with an HPI rally)...and I qualified third overall out of a dozen guys.

Apparently somewhere along the way in the second qualifier I broke a stub axle in front (broke a rear in the first heat)...didn't have a spare, so I took out both front axles...and ended up fourth overall (with only 2WD)...and the only other TNX there got 1st or 2nd.

Oh yeah...there were two or three truggies running with us, too.

I'm not so good at the "jumping while going fast" thing...when I figure it out...LOL...look out.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:52 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

The TNX is really a great running truck. Tamiya finally did their homework when they built this one. Mine runs great and they have plenty of power. The stock motor has plenty of power.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

The other guy who had one was "Andy" of "Andy's Bodies" and "Andy's Stratus" fame...he works at the shop there...he had a pipe and was running 30% and I could run with or beat his car (power-wise, of course) anywhere on the track.

Nobody but the truck that won could come close to pulling either of us anywhere on the track...and I have no clue what it was. It wan't that fast, he just drove well. Our TNXs were virtually identical...a "Pro" edition we did ourselves (it was announced a few days after I bought mine ), Powerstrokes and bowties with stock servos and everything.

He's switching back to the stock pipe...and I'll probably be going to 30% What the hell...the motors are like $90 complete at Speedtech RC. I'm going to do a complete, broken-in spare with clutch and everything...
Old 04-04-2005, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

THe Drive Shaft/Axle breaking issue has me concerned about the Pro. From the sounds of it is a great truck minus this issue...how big of an issue is the breakage?

Jeff
Old 04-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

I ran through a gallon of fuel without breaking anything...but I don't generally land at full-throttle. I think the biggest problem was that I let a local kid drive it...he broke the back one, I just found out about it too late.

Andy said that the Tamiya guys have been out at the track doing R&D on it...and that they said they were going to have CVDs soon.

IMO, it's not a huge issue...they're pretty easy and cheap to fix. If you're reasonably careful, you won't break them.

Get the Pro...it's the most kick-ass deal ever. Speedtech has them for $459!!!
Old 04-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

So...are we (me and WYD) the only two people on here who have raced a TNX?

I'm tired of always seeing the Savage guys up top.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Turbo Joe, I haven't raced mine. Actually, I finished breaking it in recently and am now adjusting the 2speed and slipper. BUT it'll have to wait since I've been focusing on touring cars as of late. A bunch of us will probably be going somewhere soon to practice for the upcoming Maxx Challenge Race.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:31 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I'm thinking of racing mine again very soon. Fun truck to run and fast.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rtypec
Turbo Joe, I haven't raced mine. Actually, I finished breaking it in recently and am now adjusting the 2speed and slipper. BUT it'll have to wait since I've been focusing on touring cars as of late. A bunch of us will probably be going somewhere soon to practice for the upcoming Maxx Challenge Race.
You're local aren't you?

Keep me posted!!!
Old 04-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default racing tnx

I've been racing mine here and so far I end up third due to some technicalities. Beating me are the sized 1/10 truggies and REVO. Mine needs adjustments in the steering especially on tight courses where the two dominate. For durability, I can say mine has been race worthy by few reinforcements. The only hop ups I'm craving for is the cam type steering for effective negotiation on technical courses. Engine is really easy to tune and fast enough for its lightweight body. Meantime I can setttle for the availalble metal steering plate with bearing.

Its fun to race this truck, beating the other 1/8 MTs. This month, I'll race again but in a non technical course, meaning with lots of straights and less turns. I made adjustments for responsive steering with smaller turning radius. Give you feedback after the race. The two kits mentioned above will defintely be joining too. Wish me luck on this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.