Wiki Posts
Search

Emaxx Crossroads

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default Emaxx Crossroads

I have a first generation Emaxx that I have had for years. I put a lot of money, time and effort into it to make it pretty much indestructable and I've come to a crossroad with it.

I moved to Florida about a year ago and ran it a few times but with the heat down here I think I messed up my ESC and motor. I'm running a first gen Novak HV brushless system in it and it has been great however I think something is messed up. It won't run unless you hold it off the ground, anytime the motor has a load it just jerks and hops. I've tried everything, reseting it, different radios, I just can't figure it out. Since it stopped working I shelved it and haven't driven it in a long time. It's a good truck and I enjoy driving it but it has just been sitting for so long I'm not sure what to do with it anymore.

I could send the ESC and motor to Novak and pay to get it repaired but I know there are many other options now when it comes to power systems these days. I could repair it, buy something new, or sell the truck. I know I wouldn't get nearly what I put into it if I sold it (just part of the hobby) If I bought a new system it would have to be something good. I would want something with a stupid amount of power, would have to be able to run on something higher than 2S, forward and reverse, and also be able to handle a very heavy truck (about 20lbs). I could repair my Novak but I might have problems with it being so hot here and being such a heavy truck, I would have to gear it so low it wouldn't be fun. Repairing is cheapest, selling would get it out of my hair, but buying a new system would probably be the most satisfying however it would take me awhile to save up some cash to pony up to a better system. Any opinions/suggestions?
Old 05-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've done pretty much the same with my 3906 EMaxx, upgraded to 3.3 everything - drive axles, bulkheads, turnbuckles, suspension arms, knuckles, 16.8 diffs and a set of UE center dsrive shafts and trans idlers. I've run it on a Quark125b with a Feiago 8XL - but it pretty much always ran hot. I dumped that setup and ran a Hacker 14.4v Emaxx motor and the EVX esc. That was reasonable, ran cool, but wasn't enough - it was only a little faster than stock twin Titans.

Tried a CC2200 combo - sweet, running 4S, but tough on diffs. If I drive it reasonably, the diffs seem to do ok, but if I'm rough with the throttle, the diffs don't last - they are the weak link in my setup. I built an FLM Ext EMaxx and put the CC2200 combo in it with ofna diffs in flm hybrids. No probs regardless how I run it. The 3906 is back to stock and I'm thinking about selling it.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

savage flux.
if you manage to find the trick to breaking the diffs in the stock flux ,
the new bulletproof set are UNBREAKABLE!!!
i've started to break tire foams apart now on my savage x conversion instead of diffs and inner tranny gears.
oh yah the top gear of the tranny inside has a new harder option for guys that wear them out.
the hpi plastic is much more durable than traxxas so you won't have to change much to make it unbreakable.
your going to need LOTS of room to play with a powerful thing like that
Old 05-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rc everywhere
savage flux.
if you manage to find the trick to breaking the diffs in the stock flux ,
the new bulletproof set are UNBREAKABLE!!!
i've started to break tire foams apart now on my savage x conversion instead of diffs and inner tranny gears.
oh yah the top gear of the tranny inside has a new harder option for guys that wear them out.
the hpi plastic is much more durable than traxxas so you won't have to change much to make it unbreakable.
your going to need LOTS of room to play with a powerful thing like that
Um I have an Emaxx not a Savage. Unless you are talking about somehow putting Savage diffs and tranny gears in my Emaxx I'm not sure what you are talking about. I have Robinson Racing diff gears in my Emaxx and I've never had trouble with my stock tranny gears (but I have 3 sets of spares just in case).

So the CC2200 is a good setup? How was your gearing set up in your Emaxx? Did you have first gear locked out or anything? I would like to keep both gears functional.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dont slow down
I have a first generation Emaxx that I have had for years. I put a lot of money, time and effort into it to make it pretty much indestructable and I've come to a crossroad with it.

I moved to Florida about a year ago and ran it a few times but with the heat down here I think I messed up my ESC and motor. I'm running a first gen Novak HV brushless system in it and it has been great however I think something is messed up. It won't run unless you hold it off the ground, anytime the motor has a load it just jerks and hops. I've tried everything, reseting it, different radios, I just can't figure it out. Since it stopped working I shelved it and haven't driven it in a long time. It's a good truck and I enjoy driving it but it has just been sitting for so long I'm not sure what to do with it anymore.

I could send the ESC and motor to Novak and pay to get it repaired but I know there are many other options now when it comes to power systems these days. I could repair it, buy something new, or sell the truck. I know I wouldn't get nearly what I put into it if I sold it (just part of the hobby) If I bought a new system it would have to be something good. I would want something with a stupid amount of power, would have to be able to run on something higher than 2S, forward and reverse, and also be able to handle a very heavy truck (about 20lbs). I could repair my Novak but I might have problems with it being so hot here and being such a heavy truck, I would have to gear it so low it wouldn't be fun. Repairing is cheapest, selling would get it out of my hair, but buying a new system would probably be the most satisfying however it would take me awhile to save up some cash to pony up to a better system. Any opinions/suggestions?
ummm...

i was triing to be polite in saying ... get ride of your money pit or leave it on the shelf!!!
if it weighs 20 pounds it's needs no less than two brushless motors and 12 cell lipo to keep it cool.

soo get rid of it so you can and get something that you will enjoy
Old 05-30-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

Well selling my Emaxx and buying another truck isn't the most cost effective solution however if I did sell it and get another truck it definatly wouldn't be a Savage. Thanks for your opinion though. I enjoy my Emaxx and any RC vehicle is a money pit so I guess what I'm really looking for is recomendations for a good brushless setup to run. I know there are lots of 1/8 scale brushless conversions out there, any of those worthy? What about a HPI Baja 5B conversion, those things are pretty hefty vehicles.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

for sure , for sure , money pits all around ... lol

check out kershaw designs for the 5b conversion kits. they are made to run 1 or 2 castle motors.
i can't seem to keep traction mith my stock gas baja, i can't imagine the point of it ... money pit ... lol

traxxass has some great stuff but the plastic breaks even with brushed motors.
i have an e-savage that i put traxxas esc and motors, kershaw drive shafts and it's tough, all original plastic and steering servo still !!! not even water proof.

basically many guys will say the savage is made to run into walls and bounce off.
e-maxx ... not
but those mini revos are ridiciulos fast, flip out contantly and don't seem to break too much
get a truggy that is electric and you'll have a real insanity machine.
i ran my losi eight -t on mmm 2200 6c lipo and felt sorry for it cause i wasn't ready for that kind of speed, now after learning to control the power doing wheelies with a monster truck i'm thinking i wouls convert my losi back again.

just i was thinking of triing a techin 1/8 system for a change.
i'm on my third monster esc and second 2200 motor. in two years.
basically happy with the pounding i gave the last esc for two years now and it's still ripping the tires off the truck and roasting motors
Old 05-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Tech Regular

I'm not worried about my truck breaking, there are very few parts left that are Traxxas. I have RMP bulkheads, shock towers, and A arms all the way around and adapted Revo driveshafts to fit. If I break anything all the RPM stuff has a lifetime warranty so I'm set. lol I see a lot of Mamba Monster motors out there. I'm just curious as to which way to go, I see large scale motors coming from LRP, Novak, HPI, Castle, Tekin and Traxxas. So many choices but which one would fit best?
Old 05-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

oh well ... you're novak system allthough very strong , is just at the limit for a big truck.
i say that a monster would be fine for your collection of replacement parts that uses the e-maxx gears. until it tears them up if you get hungry for more power when you want to go from 4 cell to 6 cell.

most of the 1/8 systems have fans esc and motor, i just got my motor fan from castle and put it on.
if you really like to bash hard ... keep your motor temps below 160 in the center if you can for best motor life.
they say 200 for the motors but that is just to keep it from smoking i guess .. lol
Old 05-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

Yea I could tell the Novak was starting to struggle with the weight and it being an older system that's why I was thinking of upgrading it. The MMM seems to be popular but there are other systems out there. When it give the KV rating, is the higher the number the faster it is?
Old 05-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

that's right.

castle has been coming out with a bunch of new cans for 1/8
there was two now they got 4 or 5 i think
stick to 2200 or lower. i bet a 1600 could run all day in your truck
Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I was real slow to jump on the Mamba Monster bandwagon but I've been through several motors and the 1/8th scale 2200 kit is really the best. Someone made a good point on here... Castle is 1-2 years ahead of everyone else. If you throw that in your 3906, the tranny will break, then the drive shafts, then your diffs... tons of people have been through all this before.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dont slow down
Yea I could tell the Novak was starting to struggle with the weight and it being an older system that's why I was thinking of upgrading it. The MMM seems to be popular but there are other systems out there. When it give the KV rating, is the higher the number the faster it is?
kV is essentially RPM's per volt applied... so say a 3500 kV motor at 3s lipo 11.1V is approximately 36000 RPM ( could get direct numbers but i'd need a calcumalater ) while a 9000 kV motor on 2s Lipo 7.4V would be closer to 66000 RPM.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

So the voltage directly affects the max rmp's? Essentially what is a happy medium? I mean you don't just want to get a lower KV motor and crank up the volts right? As long as your input voltage isn't too much for the ESC you can run any motor on any voltage? Am I on the right track?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

For a brushless motor, voltage x KV = RPM.

The trick is what is the correct voltage? Its the voltage under load so for a 4S that off the charger reads 16.8v, the voltage under load would be closer to 14.5v or thereabouts based on data recorder (device that plugs inbetween batts and esc and digitially records volts and amps as a function of time which can then be played back on a PC).

Actually thats really what you do want to do - lower kv generally uses higher voltage where the amps will be lower and the setup will run cooler. Thats part of the key is putting something together thats going to run cool. This al;so usually gives you the ability to gear up to the speed you want/need and stil have a cool, efficient setup.

I run my 2200 Combos on 4S, 5S and 6S (14.8v - 22.2v) and as voltage gets higher, it goes faster. It also gets hotter (since I'm not changing kv).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.