Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ok, new guy new guy needs a monster truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Ok, new guy new guy needs a monster truck

Hey guys, I'm new to the RC scene and I've decided I want a Monster truck. I don't care if it's gas or electric, I just want something fast and something that will run over anything that gets in it's way (within my price range of course). I've set a limit of $400 for EVERYTHING (radio, batts, gas, ect.). What do you guys recommend for a newcomer?

Here's some full kits I found at tower hobbies that meet my requirements. Which do you recommend?

Duratrax Nitro Quake (this is cheap, is it anygood?)
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...x/dtxd73e.html

Kyosho Mega Force
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...o/kyod15e.html

Traxxas T-maxx (I've heard a lot of good things about this one)
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...s/trac54e.html

Traxxas E-maxx (is this as powerful as the T?)
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...s/trac64e.html

HPI RS4 MT2 (this looks like a stadium truck, but I really like it's looks. How is this one?)

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/hpi/hpic1401e.html

Kyosho Mad Force
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...o/kyod01e.html

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 04-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Tech Initiate

OK, all of those are crap, besides the Maxxes, and the MT2. The T-Maxx is nitro (they don't run on gas), and the E-Maxx is electric. Basically, there is no way you will get all you need to run the Maxxes under 400 bucks. The T-Maxx needs AA's, fuel, glow plug ignitor, extra glowplug, glow plug wrench, and some other stuff. The E-Maxx will require two (at least) high quality battery packs, and a decent charger to get it running. That being said, the only one left is the MT2 which you might be able to get all you need for under 400 bucks. YOu did leav e out one contendor, probably becuase of the price, the HPI Savage. I have a Savage and they rock, most durable truck available. And with the Maxxes you will most likely break parts three times as much as the Savage. You can click the link in my sig to check out my Savage.
You might want to look at a smaller scale vehicle, such as the Losi Mini-T, or the Tamiya TLT-1. These are both around 1/18th scale and are around 150-250 bucks RTR. You can upgrade your motor, and get some high quality batt's to get them fast. I have a Mini-T that is hopped up quite a bit so far, and it is a blast.
I am sure some other members will disagree with what I have stated, but trust me.....
Actually someone else will probably post some other vehicles, which may or may not be a good choice. One thing though, R/C is not cheap.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I'd love to get a Savage, but they are beyond my budget. And yes, I've realized I need to spend a little over $400 for some of them. The MT 2 is looking pretty nice, I just wish it had a little more ground clearence. And I would own a mini-t but I want something that will run over anything . Hell, I may just get a Stampede and spend the rest on upgrades and batts.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

id say Emaxx.

I have one and i have had it for 5 months now. I have not broke 1 thing on it. I run that thing hard to. everyday i think i broke somthing but when i look at it up close i found that i didnt break it.

so.... Emaxx
Old 04-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Well, if you are going to go electric MT, I would have to say get a Tamiya TXT-1. I want one of these so bad, although I can't afford it right now. They can crawl over anything and are very hard to break. Top speed can be lacking, but get some brushless motors or mod motors in there and your flying. These things are awesome rock crawlers and are just too cool.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Suspended

Talking Yeah Monsters!!

As far as monsters go I have 4
A Clodbuster, Clodzilla 2 chassis lots of hopups, Awesome truck!
A Traxxas E Maxx, Also lots of hopups, Awesome truck too!
Kyosho USA 1 Nitro, Lots of hopups too! Lots of fun to bash with!
Tamiya Terra Crusher! Really Awesome Truck, not too many hopups yet, But Soon!

You should look at the TNX by Tamiya, Better than all the rest by far!! JMHO
Old 04-27-2004, 11:24 PM
Tech Initiate

You should look at the TNX by Tamiya, Better than all the rest by far!! JMHO
You have got to be kidding me.....
Old 04-28-2004, 12:02 AM
Suspended

Nope not kidding!

Why would I be kidding?
Like I said, I have all that I said I do and he asked for an opinion so I gave mine.
The TXT 1 is a good truck too although the gears in the main gearbox seem to be kind of brittle, my sons broke the spur after a landing.
Have you even seen the TNX perform?
I have and I think my recommendation is good.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Tech Initiate

I have seen a TNX run, and I would compare it to a Sportmaxx, basically the same design as well. But....have you ever seen a TNX at a race, and seriously contend? I don't want to get into an argument.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Suspended

Talking Not Arguing.

I don't want to argue either, I have seen the TNX Race and it is nothing like a Traxxas Sportmaxx, First of all it is 4wd not 2wd, Secondly i think it is way better. JMHO Of course
Old 04-28-2004, 08:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

I appreciate the help guys. I am willing to spend a little over $400, around $450 or so. I have decided to go with electric since nitro can be a pain and is not recommended for a beginner. So what electric monster truck would you recommend in my price range? The E-maxx would be a no brainer but I want 3 battery changes and that means I'd need 6(!) batteries. That would get too expensive for me. So, what do you recommend?
Old 04-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Suspended

Talking Electric is good Too.

I have both electric and Nitro,I really like my E- Maxx, I just use sport packs to run it,around $20.00 Or less at tower It Really depends on what you want to do, Race? Bash? Just play?
My clodbuster is highly Modded and expensive ,But lots of fun too.. Not good for Racing per say.
Does it have to be a monster? There are lots of Good trucks out there, Decisions, decisions!
Good luck and please post when you decide..
Old 04-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, I just plan on bashing and playing around. It doesn't have to be a monster, but people have told me that a stadium truck may not be a good choice for what I want to do. There is a lot of contruction going on near my house, and I plan on doing a lot of driving around there. I'll also spend some time driving around on the street and in the front yard of my house.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Madest Force Here

Monster truckin was never been the same before until Mad Force come to RC industry, finally a real monster truck came after the tamiya TXT and Juggernaut trucks. My first truck was Tamiya Juggernaut 2 and hated it so much coz every time i run always broke some parts and lots of bucks to spent to make it tough same with Tmaxx(i wish tamiya improves their plastics). I really love solid axle design coz it performs the same as with the full scale monster truck. Then camed to purchase 2nd hand T-maxx2.5 still i cant feel the action of real monster truck until i get mad of it and force to sell my tmaxx and get MADFORCE. Man truck is very durable almost ubreakable and will not take much of your hard earned money to make it tough.Man if you want non stop backyard bashing i suggest to get nitro powered truck coz the power behind the electrics and nitro is a day and night difference(no worries of burning a motor, esc, batteries).

Check this out if still not convinced;

www.madforce.net

Last edited by jojo; 05-01-2004 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Go nitro if you don't have allot of money to spend. However if your looking for speed and have some money to burn go electric.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.