Air Filter

Old 04-21-2004, 05:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Air Filter

Hey all,
I have a Savage 25 and Im a newbie to nitro N.T.N Well my airfilter came lubed and now that ive cleaned it out twice I now notice I need lube.. Can you use Motor oil like castrol etc? Is there anything else you can use
Old 04-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Re: Air Filter

Originally posted by DrIfT'R'
Hey all,
I have a Savage 25 and Im a newbie to nitro N.T.N Well my airfilter came lubed and now that ive cleaned it out twice I now notice I need lube.. Can you use Motor oil like castrol etc? Is there anything else you can use
They make filter oil its under 5 bucks its blue and very sticky take your clean or new filter put in a sandwich bag pour what you need to soak filter
Old 04-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

My personal opinion is to BUY NEW FILTER FOAMS. I never clean my filter to re-use. I always put a new one in. It adds up in $$$ but I think it's worth the extra engine life.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Tech Rookie

After a while, I'd replace foams, but that would get very expensive very quick if done for every change.

I use Motul foam air filter oil. It can be picked up from most motorcycle shops that carry the Motul brand of lubricants. 1 Liter goes for $15 or so. It goes on very thin, almost like water, but dries to a nice low tack feel. I also like that it's a very bright blue; that helps to identify any spots on the filter that need more oil.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

BTW I'm using a motor saver multi-stage filter. It works great, but new foams do add up at $4 a pop!
Old 04-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Tech Adept

How about a K&N air filter system. It more expensive than foam stule filters but the performance is much much better. You will have to re-oil the system from time to time because you won't want to spend another $30 for a new one. Oh and it also looks much cooler.
Any one thinks its worth the hassle?
Old 04-26-2004, 06:22 AM
Tech Rookie

How about a K&N air filter system.
I'd never use one off road, but others have. My decision is based on 8yrs in the motorcycle industry and seeing evidence of dust getting past K&N filters used in off-road machines. You cannot beat a properly cleaned and oiled foam air filter!