Wiki Posts
Search

emaxx transmission build?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default emaxx transmission build?

I am building a emaxx with mamba monster 2200kv. And I need help deciding which route to take on the transmission. I want to do it right the first time and have a solid tranny. Currently looking at the G1 single speed and all metal components. I am using the G3r chassis and the only tranny that will fit is the 3906 or the G1 single speed tranny. Please help with decision

thanks.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Run a G2R and a FLM Ext Emaxx using GM single speed trans. Thats been bullet proof in both. Metal idler gears (either UE or RCMonster) and replace the flimsy roll pin in the top shaft immed using a piece of drill bit shank or pc of L wrench and you're good. The top shaft can be easily modded to let allow running the 3 shoe type slipper which is better than the old peg style slipper.

If you can find the GM single speed and the other pieces for the single speed, it'll be a stronger trans.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default emaxx tranny

Thanks for the info. Makes sense.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Don't forget your diffs. For me, that has been the weak point. So far, no issues with the tranny in mine.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but Duster recommended some of the 16v version diffs which can be had on Ebay for pretty cheap.

ben
Old 04-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

the gorrila maxx tranny is way to much cash for a plate and a spacer, it still uses the stock plastic gears for 70 bucks

3905 gears in your 3906 case with torque control slipper, much cheaper than the gorrila maxx parts. costs about 35 bucks
http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=412386

the 3905 diffs will hold up to a good amount of abuse, the problem i found with em,is that the pinion is to short and the center cvd's wont stay in the drive cups. i put the 3906 pinions in mine as well as a BB tmaxx i built. iv beat em to death and they ask for more

im running a ezrun 80A/2300 motor on 4s currently and havent had any trouble
its also seen a single 775 on 4s and twin KD 700's
Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Tech Regular

what size are the screws to mount the tranny to the chassis? Traxxas's parts layout says 3x12mm screws, but the screws just slide right thru the threading. They act like they take at least 4mm screws, but the Parts list doesn't show anything bigger than 3mm.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

Is it your new 3905 gearbox ?

If a 3mm screw drops right in then there's no thread left in the plastic
witch is normal on the chassis, there should be enough material for a 3mm screw to tighten the gearbox

Does that make sense ?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SnoopMaxx
Is it your new 3905 gearbox ?

If a 3mm screw drops right in then there's no thread left in the plastic
witch is normal on the chassis, there should be enough material for a 3mm screw to tighten the gearbox

Does that make sense ?
i found an alternative. those screws i got from jerry's a while back for my slash's wheelie bar, theyre a PERFECT fit & only need to be cut short. let it be known that im a natural with a hacksaw & steady patience so the e-maxx is pretty much ready, other than needing a rear tranny output shaft cuz i misplaced my old one but if it just goes front wheel drive then its RTR