Wiki Posts
Search

Longest travel monster truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Pope NJ
a proberly set up truck will bottom out even on the bigger jumps that are found on a race track. That is not a bad thing. It is fine that your truck bottoms out on those big jumps. Your suspension will soak up quite a bit as it compresses and your truck will be fine. I will launch my CF race savage 30 feet in the air and not think twice about it and that truck is pushing 3000 dollars now. You are miss lead if you think your truck should not bottom out on these jumps. Now if you are just going to bash it you can set it up with thicker shock fluid and stiffer springs to get it to soak up lets say 6 foot dead drop.

I promiss you that if you make your truck super high for the sake of suspension travel and make that super stiff you are going to make it so unstable and handle so bad you will curse the whole thing. Set it up right and you will love it. Like I said what I said will seem wrong till you try it.
Never said anything about the truck not bottoming out, what you say isn't wrong. I think you are missing my point, though. I just want a truck that has the most travel. I've ran buggy brushless 1/8th scale conversions before it went mainstream. jumping them 30 ft and having them bounce when landing just isn't what I want or spitting the shocks off the ball. So a longer travel truck will help, wont cure it I know that. Then throw on top of it when I put the 1/5 scale tires on my current losi 8-T, it bottoms out on the shocks first, because the travel is so short. So what to do? I want to have the longest travel possible so I can set the suspension a little more lighter than what my the buggy had, and run the 1/5 scale tires. All I wanted was some travel numbers on suspension not a debate wither or not a truck should bottom out, because their is no debate. I might get a flux because it is already set up with a brushless system. I might get a LST because...well I just dont know why since it will be more of a pain to convert, but for some reason I like them more and it seems a couple of other people on here say they are pretty strong. But what I was hoping for was someone to provide me with some #s on the travel between them. So far 2 ppl have said that the revo has 150mm of travel, what about the others? Thanks for the info, hope eveyone has a good day
Old 11-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Originally Posted by van1
Never said anything about the truck not bottoming out, what you say isn't wrong. I think you are missing my point, though. I just want a truck that has the most travel. I've ran buggy brushless 1/8th scale conversions before it went mainstream. jumping them 30 ft and having them bounce when landing just isn't what I want or spitting the shocks off the ball. So a longer travel truck will help, wont cure it I know that. Then throw on top of it when I put the 1/5 scale tires on my current losi 8-T, it bottoms out on the shocks first, because the travel is so short. So what to do? I want to have the longest travel possible so I can set the suspension a little more lighter than what my the buggy had, and run the 1/5 scale tires. All I wanted was some travel numbers on suspension not a debate wither or not a truck should bottom out, because their is no debate. I might get a flux because it is already set up with a brushless system. I might get a LST because...well I just dont know why since it will be more of a pain to convert, but for some reason I like them more and it seems a couple of other people on here say they are pretty strong. But what I was hoping for was someone to provide me with some #s on the travel between them. So far 2 ppl have said that the revo has 150mm of travel, what about the others? Thanks for the info, hope eveyone has a good day
I can tell you that the flux has more shock travel on it than you can use as the truck will bottom out before the shocks do. The stock numbers I don't have as All my stuff has been modded sorry. I think that no matter what choice you make lst or savage you will love it both trucks are built very well and will hold up for you. The flux is something you can take out of the box and run however so I think it has an edge there but in the end buy which ever one you like best. Don't worry so much about the travel it really isn't an issue with the two trucks you are considering. As I have had both of those shocks the lst and the bigbores I will tell you that the bigbores have more travel to them. If that is what you are going for. Sorry for the confussion.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

I do thank you for the information Pope NJ. It would be neat to race their some day(NJ).

Anyone-
Kinda seems like I shouldn't consider the revo or emaxx-is that what most people think? But to stick with the LST and Savage for a brushless truck.

What size tires come with LST and savage trucks? Currently I have 7" tires, but would like taller ones, kinda like the kong tires??

Side question what is the difference between the aftershock and LST? It seems the xxl is just longer, am I correct in this?

The only thing that turns me away from the savage flux is the side battery compartments. I am not sure if I like them as they can limit my battery capacity size. I currently have 4S 8000 mah batteries and i am not sure if they will fit much less 6S 8000 mah batteries.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I do thank you for the information Pope NJ. It would be neat to race their some day(NJ).

Anyone-
Kinda seems like I shouldn't consider the revo or emaxx-is that what most people think? But to stick with the LST and Savage for a brushless truck.

What size tires come with LST and savage trucks? Currently I have 7" tires, but would like taller ones, kinda like the kong tires??

Side question what is the difference between the aftershock and LST? It seems the xxl is just longer, am I correct in this?

The only thing that turns me away from the savage flux is the side battery compartments. I am not sure if I like them as they can limit my battery capacity size. I currently have 4S 8000 mah batteries and i am not sure if they will fit much less 6S 8000 mah batteries.

Any thoughts?

My buddy has custom aluminum battery trays that allow him to run bigger batteries.... The Flux is a pretty wicked machine, it handles and jumps much better then any Nitro Savage I have run, it seems to have a much lower COG and a much better balance.... I am not really a Savage fan, but I do find the Flux very impressive...its drives really well, much better then you would expect....
Old 11-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Regular

on the flux you can run 2 packs one on either side in paralle. 2x 2s will give you 4s 2x 3s will give you 6s. You can also run 1 at 2s and 1 at 3s so long as they are the same c rating and same mha to give you 5s. all of that fits in to those no problem.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks on the info...I think all of this has steered me to a savage. For the price I know it cant be beat since it comes with everything I would want. I have seen LST shock conversions, any negative reasons not to do this? Seems stupid really, I just like the big fat shocks.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

The lst shocks do not work well on the savage. You will bend shock shafts left and right along with bending the stand offs. You also break the shock bases off alot. Some people will tell you they have never had an issue with them but So many people have when it comes to more than 6 feet of air. the big bore sport shocks that come on it are more than good enough.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Anyone-

Any thoughts?
Many on the board are Savage vs Revo bickers just like Ford and Chevy. They are all great trucks. If your bashing the Savage may be a little tougher than an emax, as per the type of advertising that both companies do.

HPI seems to show the most extreme things it can, where Traxxas is more reserved.

The Savage or emax are true monster trucks, where as the eRevo is more of a truggy.

Basically what I am getting at is if you have any intentions of racing get a Revo, as its the best of the bunch for on the track, and bashes exceptionally well. On the other hand if you dont plan on racing, stick with the emax or savage.

Any of the trucks will be a good choice.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T
Many on the board are Savage vs Revo bickers just like Ford and Chevy. They are all great trucks. If your bashing the Savage may be a little tougher than an emax, as per the type of advertising that both companies do.

HPI seems to show the most extreme things it can, where Traxxas is more reserved.

The Savage or emax are true monster trucks, where as the eRevo is more of a truggy.

Basically what I am getting at is if you have any intentions of racing get a Revo, as its the best of the bunch for on the track, and bashes exceptionally well. On the other hand if you dont plan on racing, stick with the emax or savage.

Any of the trucks will be a good choice.
You're judging the toughness of a Revo vs a Savage based off of their advertising videos? Wow! All you're doing is propegating the myths of the Savage vs Revo vs etc saga! Anything relating to advertising is the last thing you want to use as "proof". Come on now...

Revos and Savages are both extremely tough. Most modern day monster trucks from reputable manufacturers are insanely tough. Everything is going to break and sometimes they take the huge hits only to break in the little crashes. It's all about the impact and what kind of stress the parts are subjected to.

Buy any modern day monster truck and I doubt any realistic person will be disappointed. It all comes down to the details, the features, and the preferences of what you like and what you don't like.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:59 AM
Tech Initiate

To throw a curveball in this thread, how does the Losi XXL compare to the Savage and Revo?
Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
You're judging the toughness of a Revo vs a Savage based off of their advertising videos? Wow! All you're doing is propegating the myths of the Savage vs Revo vs etc saga! Anything relating to advertising is the last thing you want to use as "proof". Come on now...
Your looking to far into it.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:20 AM
WP
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TotalNOOB
To throw a curveball in this thread, how does the Losi XXL compare to the Savage and Revo?
after owning all three.... Losi for the win!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

Only issues I have seen with the losi is the arms and trans seem to have some issues but other than that it is a good truck. If you are going electric but want the losi I would say get the mugan truggy same thing with a center diff and no trans looks like it would be easier to convert to me anyway.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by WP
after owning all three.... Losi for the win!!!
Figured! That's why I want to get one! ;-)
Old 11-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by The Pope NJ
Only issues I have seen with the losi is the arms and trans seem to have some issues but other than that it is a good truck. If you are going electric but want the losi I would say get the mugan truggy same thing with a center diff and no trans looks like it would be easier to convert to me anyway.
The Mugen also has longer travel then all the MT's as well...the 6T has 4.24" ( someone measured theirs for me, I didn't do it) of rear travel, the older 5T has 4" of rear travel...and this is with sway bars installed, removing the sways would likely give even a little more travel....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.