Wiki Posts
Search

A few pics of my Revo killer

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR
if we are going into used prices I could do a savage build MUCH MUCH Cheaper, especially the FLM setup. Those full chassis setups used are ridic cheap.
http://www.toysonics.com/1-8-1-10-rc...arter-box.html
But if you got the roller you would also need electronics. You can get an rtr 8ight 2.0 with a starter box and a dx3s for $800. With that you will be setup. But you can get a caster or mugen for much less than that.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Originally Posted by snowboard094
http://www.toysonics.com/1-8-1-10-rc...arter-box.html
But if you got the roller you would also need electronics. You can get an rtr 8ight 2.0 with a starter box and a dx3s for $800. With that you will be setup. But you can get a caster or mugen for much less than that.
800$ isn't anything close to cheap lol. Also the RTR version isn't even close to being durable.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

800$ isn't anything close to cheap lol. Also the RTR version isn't even close to being durable.
And why would you put that much $$ into a savage when you could just get a truggy. Especially if you are going to compete with them. The 8ight was just an example, if you want cheap then you can look at CEN, The Mugen MBX5T, A Caster Truggy, Robitronic, etc...
Old 09-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snowboard094
And why would you put that much $$ into a savage when you could just get a truggy. Especially if you are going to compete with them. The 8ight was just an example, if you want cheap then you can look at CEN, The Mugen MBX5T, A Caster Truggy, Robitronic, etc...
But that's complete junk you listed besides the Mugen, again where you are going into used products. Make up your mind
Old 09-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i got a decked out MBX5-T for sale!!!! 220+shipping...
Old 09-30-2009, 01:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default reply

My name is Savagesam not Losisam, Mugensam, Castorsam, Xraysam or Robatronicsam

Last edited by savagesam; 09-30-2009 at 01:36 AM. Reason: edit text
Old 09-30-2009, 01:52 AM
Tech Adept

how about HotBodiesSam?
Old 09-30-2009, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Default reply

awwww stop it j-man your so sweet, ooh your talking about the hot bodies d8t truggy i drive ....... silly me
Old 09-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Originally Posted by savagesam
awwww stop it j-man your so sweet, ooh your talking about the hot bodies d8t truggy i drive ....... silly me
LMAO. If I am not mistaken Sam you have won quite a bit with that truggy too. Which do you like better the d8t or your CF super savage?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Truggies aren't any where near as cheap, fun, or durable IMO. I race setup Truggy is going to be way more expensive than even a pure race bred Savage.

What's so funny? They will.
I can appreciate taking a Savage and making it to win races, its always fun to be the winning underdog..... As well if you have insane driving skill you can win with any platform as long as it holds together....

However when it comes to durability the Savage definitely aint all that.... Most Truggies are actually quite a bit more durable, especially in the drivetrain department.....With a mild or moderately powered engine the Savage fairs pretty decently, but install a motor with some jam and the drivetrain really starts to fail pretty quickly.. A Savage really has some weak points that can cause some major issues.. For instance the engine is very exposed on a Savage and breaking the engine plate on a topside landing is very common... Now to each our own, but unless your one to go against the grain and have the bucks to do so building a Savage for racing really isn't the easiest, cheapest or best route...it can be done but its nowhere near as easy as just buying a race truggy right off the bat....... Truggies may cost a little more, but you get to run much higher grade engines, you don't need to fart around with OWB's, and the competency on the track cannot be compared..equal driver to equal driver the truggy will run rings around any Savage, and hold together much better...
Old 09-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Maximo
I can appreciate taking a Savage and making it to win races, its always fun to be the winning underdog..... As well if you have insane driving skill you can win with any platform as long as it holds together....

However when it comes to durability the Savage definitely aint all that.... Most Truggies are actually quite a bit more durable, especially in the drivetrain department.....With a mild or moderately powered engine the Savage fairs pretty decently, but install a motor with some jam and the drivetrain really starts to fail pretty quickly.. A Savage really has some weak points that can cause some major issues.. For instance the engine is very exposed on a Savage and breaking the engine plate on a topside landing is very common... Now to each our own, but unless your one to go against the grain and have the bucks to do so building a Savage for racing really isn't the easiest, cheapest or best route...it can be done but its nowhere near as easy as just buying a race truggy right off the bat....... Truggies may cost a little more, but you get to run much higher grade engines, you don't need to fart around with OWB's, and the competency on the track cannot be compared..equal driver to equal driver the truggy will run rings around any Savage, and hold together much better...
You do understand Sam, Pope, I, and many others have replaced the motor plate, its actually a VERY cheap item to replace. Also, as Sam's tranny has proven and many others, it isn't hard to set up the tranny to accept the power. Take a Flux tranny also for example, those handle way more power than any truggy ever will in Nitro forum, and they handle it fine.

I disagree with the holding together though, except the stock form of the drivetrains.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Champion

You do understand Sam, Pope, I, and many others have replaced the motor plate, its actually a VERY cheap item to replace. Also, as Sam's tranny has proven and many others, it isn't hard to set up the tranny to accept the power. Take a Flux tranny also for example, those handle way more power than any truggy ever will in Nitro forum, and they handle it fine.

I disagree with the holding together though, except the stock form of the drivetrains.

You need to convert the truck to a single speed to handle a strong motor... then you lose a whole pile of acceleration IMO which somewhat cancels out the gains from the stronger engine.... As well we run a 6S Flux all the time, it is an awesome truck and by far the best Savage, however it isn't without its own drivetrain issues....Maybe we push it too hard, but we are breaking difs pretty much every time we run the truck.....We have a small bashing track that we run both BL and Nitro Truggies on and the Flux is getting torn up trying to keep up with the truggies.... So its by no means bullet proof, it is awesome for a savage, but it breaks alot more then the truggies do thats for sure......Anyways I don't want to piss on anyone's parade, as we are all in the same hobby, but from my point of view a Savage is not worth building to be a racer when you can just buy a Truggy ready to go....unless of course you like taking the more difficult route and are willing to take a sacrifice in performance per dollar.... All the power to you guys that have built race winning savage's tho, that is not an easy feat and major props to you.....myself I am lazy and would just rather buy something right out of the box ready to race... but that's just me...
Old 09-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Default reply

I myself enjoyed building the custom built ride and my savage racer will always come first when it comes to racing, i have made it so durable now that i race a truggy also on race days becasue there is no down time with the truck, just a clean off after each heat & final and its ready for more action and thats with a modified picco 28 installed.

The truggy is fun to drive and yes they are dam fast and fly so much better, making it easier for most drivers/people to enjoy racing one, i myself find that with a well built light weight savage that is set up properly to handle that the race times per lap are not that much different.

At the australian truggy & truck nationals this year the truggy and truck heats where 10 minutes, i had 3 heats out of 6 with the truggy that i completed 14 laps yet in 4 heats with the truck i completed 14 laps, i would have placed better for the finals with my truck that being said.

I find that in truggy class every one is going so dam fast and there is alot more rubbing, bumping, driving up peoples rears and cutting people off going on where as the truck class are just trying to finish the race.

Also in the truggy class there is more air time going on and one mistake your upside down but with a race truck your looking for more surface time and less air time....just my thoughts but i can see why most people sell up in the truck class and head over to a truggy, its easier to bild and drive and just cheaper in the end thats for sure.

truck all the way for me, then the truggy class and i even have a buggy on the way too to keep me extra busy on race days......thats also leaving out the basher savage, brushless savage, flux racer, brushless firestorm, brushless drifter and maybe a brushless buggy very soon too
Old 10-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Deleted for reasons you will never know.

Last edited by The Pope NJ; 10-01-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by The Pope NJ
I would put my savage toe to toe with a truggy any day of the week. Not taking anything from truggies they are great vehicals that being said my savage can keep pace NP. Build it right, Shim it right you will have NP. It takes skill, time, and the abilty to see things that few others see, and think outside the realms of what is normal to build a great savage. Very few things on my truck did I walk into the LHS and just buy and use for their intended purpose. Second as time goes buy less and less of the parts on my truck are even HPI parts. The trucks that many of us build from a savage and in the image of a savage. Are hardly savage's anymore they are more one off creations. There are hundreds of them built by my friends over at HPISF and not a one is the same as another.

Props to you for you Savage !!!! takes alot of work to make em go good !

However I would LOVE, and I mean love to give you a lesson on what a Truggy can do...... OMG would you be in for a shocker on our supercross style tracks.....You honestly would have no hope whatsoever of keeping pace with the Truggies on many of the tracks we run...... You would be lucky to keep your truck together to be honest with you...Huge jumps, tight corners and short runups...completely the wrong style of track for any MT no matter how well built........ Now I can see a MT keeping up on some track styles, Savagesam has proved that already...However many tracks here are outright nasty and would put the MT at such a massive disadvantage it wouldn't even be fair......At our nationals out of 16 trucks starting the main only 4 were able to finish clean, 2 more finished but they had missed many laps of the race on the pit table...so that is 4 out of 16 trucks able to finish the race if that gives you any idea what we run on...Truggies and Buggies can cope with the Supercross style tracks and don't have issues with the short run big jumps, MT's get murdered no matter what you do to them........

So IMO I can see a MT keeping pace on certain style of tracks, but definitely not on the big jump supercross style tracks.....

PopeNJ do you race ? have you raced ? how did you do ? and did your times match the Truggies ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.