Community
Wiki Posts
Search

supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default supercharger question

Ok so i was thinking today.. how could a supercharger work on a rc car. and how would you tune it? plus wouldnt you need an entire new exhaust systen to handle the supercharger just like on a real car?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jab917
how could a supercharger work on a rc car
Simple answer: They don't. Just get a bigger engine
Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

There CAN be a slight power gain, only IF and WHEN you get it retuned.Nothing about RC engines was designed for a blower. But understand that superchargers where designed with four stroke engines in mind. By that I mean they have valves that precisely and completely close or open at a given time.This way it can force more air/fuel mixture into the cylinder. 2 strokes don't run like that as you know and so the "blower will force the mixture completely though the cylinder until the very last split second. more of it goes on thru to the exhaust. You have to run it real rich to compensate and as a result,waste a lot of fuel. Pretty much all the benefits of a tuned pipe are gone, since it is packing and pulling fuel by DESIGN. The supercharger throws all that out the window.Fully, 50% of the people who get one NEVER get it to run right, very few are EVER happy with it. Long and short of it is, a decent modder will give more benefits for less money to start and most modders will get you better mileage too! Support the engine modders on this site whether is AB,EB, or MassiveMods. (Or others I'm sure I missed) These guys know your engine much better than some bolt on piece of c*** and will make it much easier to live with.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've tried one.. Heres my take:

With a 3 port .28 motor on 30% O'Donnell,
The motor immediately required richening with the belt driven blower and 50% overdrive pully. But it was not blowing fuel out of the exhaust. The idle was unbelievably strong and steady. I ran it on pavement in a 14lb XTM Mammoth on 40 series road rage tires. It pulled quick and hard through 2 gears and then leaned out on top. The tall gear on the Mammoth worked well with the blower because it seemed like torque was increased somewhat at low to upper mid rpms... not so well on dirt because there isn't enough traction.

I tried the same setup with 40 series bowties at revelation raceway and it lit up all 4 tires all the way down the straight. Only problems offroad were traction and throwing the belt off on big jumps. If the belt came off it immediately went rich. One other thing I noticed was the temps never seemed to vary no matter how hard I drove it.

If nothing else it was a kick to hear the blower whine and unbelievable amount of air it was sucking through the filter.

Video on pavement:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by avdub; 08-07-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

LMAO, I think I can hear the blower whine, that is cool. Congrats on getting it running so well.I understand what your saying about throwing the belt. Over at lstforums.com they had a big discussion about that very subject. ONe guy was saying it broke 2 mounts due to landing off jumps. But he didnt say how big they were. Coulda been doing some mondo skate park jumps for all I know.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanx

I wasn't all that hard to tune.. It ran cool and again the idle was amazing. lol

I put a long pipe spring around the head to secure the upper blower mount and it helped, but still managed to throw a belt off. All in all it was fun.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

if it was fun, why did you ditch it?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by MoparRules
if it was fun, why did you ditch it?
Because its pointless
Old 08-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by beta bob
Because its pointless
it worked didnt it.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

I race at hotrod hobbies in so cal.. no time for throwing belts.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

if i was to build a drag race mt, would it be ok to put the superchargeer on it and nitrous. i was thinking of doing somwthing with a modded .36, supercharged on nitrous. i guess my question is would i blow up my motor on the first pass.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigblockt-maxx
if i was to build a drag race mt, would it be ok to put the superchargeer on it and nitrous. i was thinking of doing somwthing with a modded .36, supercharged on nitrous. i guess my question is would i blow up my motor on the first pass.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Originally Posted by avdub
+ YouTube Video
that has to be so... boring...
Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

yeah, drag racing ain't my thing either. but to each his own

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.