Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking to buy a basher.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Looking to buy a basher.

I've been reading quite a bit on these forums and many others. At first the choice seemed clear that I should buy a Savage X. However I have some questions after talking to my LHS. Let me begin with some backstory.

I own a Ofna Ultra MBX that I had a hard time with a few years ago. It has been collecting dust for about 4 years and it has a blown engine. Myself and 3 friends all had one. We all seemed to break the same parts, the main one being the front bottom A shaped arm that held the wheel. That thing would break if you took a turn too hard it seemed, much less had any fun with it.

Based on my previous experience, I am wanting a basher. I want to be able to run it around in my neighborhood cul da sac. It will likely hit a curb a time or two. I have a huge field near by with lots of dirt, some tractor ruts and a few nice hills. I also have a large grass field that is fairly level. I hope to run in all of these areas. I do not wish to replace a part each tank of gas or less. My neighbor has quite a few MT's. He recommended me talking to my LHS which I did Friday. They recommended a tmaxx because they have lots of parts in stock. My issue is I don't want to be buying parts everyday.

Here is my laundry list of questions. I really appreciate your time and answers.

1. What breaks the most when bashing a Savage X 4.6 RTR.
2. What breaks the most when bashing a tmaxx 3.3
3. Will a Savage X 4.6 RTR survive my idea of fun above?
4. Is my ofna box starter worthless? No bump start on MT?
5. What temp gun should I get?
6. Do I really need to change the servo's to have fun?
7. Tmaxx 3.3 or Savage X 4.6 for my needs?

Any additional comments are welcomed.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tmcquaig
I've been reading quite a bit on these forums and many others. At first the choice seemed clear that I should buy a Savage X. However I have some questions after talking to my LHS. Let me begin with some backstory.

I own a Ofna Ultra MBX that I had a hard time with a few years ago. It has been collecting dust for about 4 years and it has a blown engine. Myself and 3 friends all had one. We all seemed to break the same parts, the main one being the front bottom A shaped arm that held the wheel. That thing would break if you took a turn too hard it seemed, much less had any fun with it.

Based on my previous experience, I am wanting a basher. I want to be able to run it around in my neighborhood cul da sac. It will likely hit a curb a time or two. I have a huge field near by with lots of dirt, some tractor ruts and a few nice hills. I also have a large grass field that is fairly level. I hope to run in all of these areas. I do not wish to replace a part each tank of gas or less. My neighbor has quite a few MT's. He recommended me talking to my LHS which I did Friday. They recommended a tmaxx because they have lots of parts in stock. My issue is I don't want to be buying parts everyday.

Here is my laundry list of questions. I really appreciate your time and answers.

Any additional comments are welcomed.

Well lets see here i am a HPI lover at heart... the X 4.6 is a bad machine its a GREAT truck... ive put mine though hell and back more than one... jumped it off the roof of my lhs, well lets put it this way, if theres a ramp or somthing to jump im GOING to do it as fast and hard as possible... Ive had mine at 30 foot in the are a few times broke a bumper brace (a $3 fix) the savages have ENDLESS supply of aftermarket hopups, trust me... the one thing my truck goes though the most of are shock ends, the end that connect to the lower arms... other than that not much stuff breaks on them... i put jr servos in mine but not because the hpi's servos were crappy just personal preference... these trucks are amazing... 6 screws and the front or rear diff will be out of the truck. i mean hands down the X is best period... also will SPANK a tmaxx in every aspect....

also i can hook you up with a hell fo a deal for a breand new in box savage x 4.6 or savage x SS kit... e-mail me for more info on that( [email protected] )...

1. What breaks the most when bashing a Savage X 4.6 RTR. A: shock ends for me
2. What breaks the most when bashing a tmaxx 3.3 A: never owned one of the trashy things...
3. Will a Savage X 4.6 RTR survive my idea of fun above? A: a savage will survive any thing you throw at it, TRUST me.
4. Is my ofna box starter worthless? No bump start on MT? A: savage has a roto start..
5. What temp gun should I get? A: i use a losi temp tuner(about $35)
6. Do I really need to change the servo's to have fun? A: no
7. Tmaxx 3.3 or Savage X 4.6 for my needs? A: Definately the savage X

Also another note any decent hobby shop should carry products for the savage, if they dont i reccommend finding a new lhs, personally. HPI is a very large company and there are TONS of savage users..

Also go to HPISAVAGEFORUMS.com and get those guys opinions, tell em i sent yah...

Alex
Old 03-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Initiate

i just had a horrible experience w/ a used savage 25 i bought on ebay... kind of put me off on them. I had to put a pull start on it after the roto start broke, and it was a pain in the ass to work with. also some steering parts broke, and it seemed every other screw stripped out. long story short, i ended up reselling it. now i am buying something (havent quite decided what) else. I can tell you that if i had the money i would buy an e revo brushless...
Old 03-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

:
Originally Posted by RallyImp05
i just had a horrible experience w/ a used savage 25 i bought on ebay... kind of put me off on them. I had to put a pull start on it after the roto start broke, and it was a pain in the ass to work with. also some steering parts broke, and it seemed every other screw stripped out. long story short, i ended up reselling it. now i am buying something (havent quite decided what) else. I can tell you that if i had the money i would buy an e revo brushless...
REVO all the way brushless or not!! i had a 3.3 "with a .28" that was a beast to be recond with.. handles ruff stuff beter then the savy anyday in my book only thing i had to replace on the revo was the nuckles RPM
Cheap and TuFF!!
but i gota say i have seen some savy's do some wicked stuff! But nothing a revo couldent, all around more versitile, because if you get bord of bashing you can race in truggy
Old 03-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

whos to say if he gets bored with bashing he cant race in monster truck class?

I owned both an origional savage 25 and an X... my 25 wasnt nearly as good as my X, i retired the 25 and sold it, now i just have my X that will stay with me till the end...

Just not a fan of the tmaxx, nor traxxas... i have friends with em and no their
tmaxx's cant handle what a savvy can....

only MT that can hang with a savy is an LST2....

Alex
Old 03-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well, I just bought a Savage X roller and I'm working on finishing out ordering the parts to convert it to an XL and completing it. I've noticed a couple of things:

1. The entire front end and the entire rear end of this truck is IDENTICAL. That means that you will need less spares because of the redundancy in parts.

2. The stock Savage X parts on eBay are CHEAP!! I saw one guy who was selling all 4 suspension assemblies for $20 new.

You can CERTAINLY spend ALOT of money upgrading these trucks to all aluminum for example, but in stock configuration this should be a CHEAP truck to maintain.

By the way, there is NO way to bump start a Savage. The engine is in the middle of the chassis sitting on a motor plate.

And the Savage is considered a 1/8 scale while the T-MAXX is a 1/10.

Last edited by CaptCrunch; 03-21-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hound_dogs_01
Also another note any decent hobby shop should carry products for the savage, if they dont i reccommend finding a new lhs, personally.
Alex
Are you suggesting that he move.....

Just found that funny for some reason...
Old 03-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dualrevos
Are you suggesting that he move.....

Just found that funny for some reason...
not move just find a better hobby shop.... who doesnt stock savage products?

Alex
Old 03-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Rookie

I appreciate all the replies. Keep them coming.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mamba4life
:

REVO all the way brushless or not!! i had a 3.3 "with a .28" that was a beast to be recond with.. handles ruff stuff beter then the savy anyday in my book only thing i had to replace on the revo was the nuckles RPM
Cheap and TuFF!!
but i gota say i have seen some savy's do some wicked stuff! But nothing a revo couldent, all around more versitile, because if you get bord of bashing you can race in truggy
+1 i have bashed the hell out of my revo and nothing major has broke. E-revo brushless is what its about. Just get rpm arms and hub carriers.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

I have a new in box HPI savage flux brushless for $500 in the classifieds! Pick it up you won't be dissapionted!
Old 03-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Can I recommend a different truck? Look at Losi..

They have the Aftershock which is a great truck. It has a very nice layout and is a strong truck. Handles like a Revo, but takes a beating like a Savage. Has 4 MASSIVE shocks that absorb the impact and a all steel transmission. The XR2i computerized Radio is a great starting radio thats 10 times better then the Maxx or Savage has, and also has duel Metal Geared servos to turn the massive wheels. It's bigger then a Savage and Tmaxx or Revo and at a great price. Only 334.99 on Amainhobbies

OR if you have a couple more dollars to spend, I'd get the Losi LST XXL hands down. Many people say it was stupid everything Losi did to it, retarded price and all that, but it's 10 dollars more then the LST2 was, Has a Spectrum DX3s Radio, Spectrum servos, Steel tranny with reverse, (WAY better then the traxxas crap) and has even stronger Axles, diff's, arms, and hubs.

649.99 on Amain as well.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

And to answer your questions

1. What breaks the most when bashing a Savage X 4.6 RTR.
-Generally the shocks will, however they are a really easy and cheap item to find on Ebay and won't let you down. The differentials are sloppy and the fuel tank will explode every time you decide to run without a body on and flip it.

2. What breaks the most when bashing a tmaxx 3.3
-The bulkheads and hinge pins, bad design, hinge pins will bend so bad you can barely get them out when you break the bulk heads. Also, it has plastic drive shafts instead of CVD's like the Losi rigs or Savage

3. Will a Savage X 4.6 RTR survive my idea of fun above?
-The Savage will easily survive what your talking about. You can do that plus more and have a good time without worry.

4. Is my ofna box starter worthless? No bump start on MT?
-Most MT's will not take a Bump box because of how the engine is located and mounted, it's not worthless, but no good for a MT

5. What temp gun should I get?
-I use a Orion one but Duratrax has a good one as well

6. Do I really need to change the servo's to have fun?
-No, however, stock servos are weak and underpowered, and if your going to bash a lot you'll need to replace the steering servo with something that has over 180 oz of torque.

7. Tmaxx 3.3 or Savage X 4.6 for my needs?
-Losi Aftershock or XXL
Or
Savage X

Stay away from the Tmaxx unless you like buying and fixing it, every tank.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

hi,
i hav a savage x 4.6 rtr, runs 2 gallons n hav not break any parts except for the hpi servo for the steering. bang a curb n it never worked again. changed it to TT ace rc servo 14.5kg of torque. now the steering is much better. if i wer u get the savage x 4.6 SS kit. it has much better parts then the 4.6 rtr. it is more expensive to buy the SS kit full set but after buying the 4.6 rtr u would surely want to change the parts to the SS kit at the end of the day.now i hav changed most parts to SS kit which i didnt know off only later. my 4.6 rtr now is more expensive then a SS kit full set. if only i knew at first.
mills is up to ur driving n taste. i hav shortlisted a few mills for u to choose best for the savage x:-

1. Picco P3 .28
2. LRP ZR28 or 30
3. OS 30VG
4. Axial 28 or 32
5. RB concept ST28

all mills for the savage x hav 2 b pullstart or rotorstart. u cant use a starter box.

lets put it this way, i spend so much money(on aftermarket parts) n giv to much attention to my savage that my girlfriend is complaining.
tougher is better, luv my savage till the end.....
Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Rookie

So I am pretty sure I am going to go Savage X 4.6 rtr.

My next question is should I buy it from an online retailer or from my LHS?

I can save $57 at best. LHS is ~$450 with tax and online shipped is ~$393.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.