Search

what do you think? too hot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default what do you think? too hot?

Hi!

i was recently looking at my savage thinking about what i could do to make it different then every other savage out there. then i started looking at that huge gap left by the XL chassis. then i looked at how the fuel tank hangs off the chassis. then i got to thinking, why do they hide everything else inside the TVPs(except the pipe, thats another day) but leave the tank hang off te side. so i started playing.

the only thing that concerns me is that its soo damn close to the header. i can mount the tank here in many different ways but the simplest way would make the tank actually rest up against the header a little bit.

so my question is, does the header get hot enough to melt the tank? if so could i just run some heat insulation around the tank/header? or get a metal tank?

thanks in advance
mopar
Old 03-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Move it or get some insulation.

I would try the insulation first.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by howtowakeakar
Move it or get some insulation.

I would try the insulation first.
i dont think it will do anything. i mean, the feul tubing can rest up against the black and not do anything.

ill try some thermal wrap later.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I would use some accual car tech and use some header wrap to insulate the pipe. I would be alittle concerned about heating up the fuel. Deffinantly don't get an aluminium tank as that would heat up the fuel even more.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by The Slayer
I would use some accual car tech and use some header wrap to insulate the pipe. I would be alittle concerned about heating up the fuel. Deffinantly don't get an aluminium tank as that would heat up the fuel even more.
thats what i planned on using.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Tech Lord

Header def hot enough to melt tank.

Mid tank mod moves tank fwd and between the tvps but my understanding it takes extended tvps to have the room. I've never liked where Sav tank is located - its too vulnerable to getting hit. Supposed to provide better balance, protect the tank (duh..) and kill the mid tank lean these seem to suffer from.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Header def hot enough to melt tank.

Mid tank mod moves tank fwd and between the tvps but my understanding it takes extended tvps to have the room. I've never liked where Sav tank is located - its too vulnerable to getting hit. Supposed to provide better balance, protect the tank (duh..) and kill the mid tank lean these seem to suffer from.
do you think that header tape will just work? im doing this cuz no noe else has done it. im also in the process of relocating the pipe.

and mid tank lean is no problem for me. i run a little rich anyway.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Header tape should help, run it without a body on and check on it every couple of minutes, if it starts to melt, shut it down.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Lord

The way plastic is protected on a motorcycle, they use an air gap and some kind of silver reflective, thin insulation. I burned a panel where I lost a piece of the silver stuff.

Is there no way you can create a small gap? You pic makes it look like theres some pressure between the header and the tank. Anything thats ever touched a header on any of my nitros was melted. I have no experience with hdr tape, don't know how much protection that'll provide, maybe (hopefully) that'll be enough??
Old 03-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

damn! header tapes expensive!!
Old 03-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Tech Lord

They used to make a kitchen hotpad, set pans on right off the stove to protect countertop - was thin, metallic on top and had a fabric kind of composition under the metal cover. They were cheap - sold in dime stores for less than a buck. Piece of that wedged inbetween and you'd be good to go.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MoparRules
Originally Posted by MoparRules
Yeah just under a buck a foot, but you can buy a small roll for about 12 bucks I think. Of course, header wrap is pretty thick stuff, and for 12 bucks, you might be able to just buy a tank that would actually fit in that space.

Sorry to say, a friend of mine already mounted his tank like that. He wound up with a completely custom built tank, but he started out with what you have there but his tank was a bit higher, so he didn't have the problem you have. Then (I think) he used a t-maxx tank, which worked fine but didn't give the run times he was after. Then he did some kinda boat tank, then a sullivan generic looking thing....

Anywho, looking at your pic, it's hard to tell, but I'm thinking your tank might be sitting so low, that the truck might want to run a bit lean, but I guess there's just one way to find out for sure. Are you already running a 4.6 header on that? And lastly, just take a freakin heat gun to that spot and make an indentation in the tank! Just don't over-heat the plastic!
Old 03-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by helibrian
Yeah just under a buck a foot, but you can buy a small roll for about 12 bucks I think. Of course, header wrap is pretty thick stuff, and for 12 bucks, you might be able to just buy a tank that would actually fit in that space.
ya i was lookin at new tanks. i think i might go with that.
Sorry to say, a friend of mine already mounted his tank like that. He wound up with a completely custom built tank, but he started out with what you have there but his tank was a bit higher, so he didn't have the problem you have. Then (I think) he used a t-maxx tank, which worked fine but didn't give the run times he was after. Then he did some kinda boat tank, then a sullivan generic looking thing....

Anywho, looking at your pic, it's hard to tell, but I'm thinking your tank might be sitting so low, that the truck might want to run a bit lean, but I guess there's just one way to find out for sure. Are you already running a 4.6 header on that? And lastly, just take a freakin heat gun to that spot and make an indentation in the tank! Just don't over-heat the plastic!it actually sits at the same level, if not higher than stock.
all in all, i think im going with a different tank. im also working on a way to run the exaust under the truck so nothing is hanging from the TVPs.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Lord

These are using a 250cc Ofna tank or a 150cc Mugen tank and placing in front of the trans like the old mid tank mod. It requires some re-arranging but works with stock tvps.

http://www.rcbasher.com/savmidtank.html
Old 03-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Duster_360
These are using a 250cc Ofna tank or a 150cc Mugen tank and placing in front of the trans like the old mid tank mod. It requires some re-arranging but works with stock tvps.

http://www.rcbasher.com/savmidtank.html
Those are pretty cool alright. The one with the mugen/cen setup looks real familiar for some reason.

Hey mopar, if you can pull off running the exhaust underneath the truck, definitely post some pics! That would be kinda cool if you could do it cleanly. Heck, I might just hafta steal that one from you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.