Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Clod Help what electronics do I need or should I get? >

Clod Help what electronics do I need or should I get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clod Help what electronics do I need or should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Any place that sells motors should be able to get them... I think they're still being made...

I haven't really shopped for motors in a couple years

I'd still consider going brushless, though, if I were you... Since you were considering running two batteries with the EVX setup...

A nice 4200kV setup would probably do you pretty good!
Just remember that you need a Y harness and 2 ESC's for it...
Old 02-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

what do you mean by this? how do I do it and where can I get it.

A nice 4200kV setup would probably do you pretty good!
Just remember that you need a Y harness and 2 ESC's for it...
Old 02-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

4200kV brushless system...

You'd need two, for the Clodbuster, one for each axle.

And you can pick up a simple y-harness from your LHS...

All it does is let you plug in two things in one plug port in the RX.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Adept

is there a certain 4200 system I should get?
Old 02-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

I run castle creations...

But the Traxxas VXL system will work, as well...

Sensorless is what you need, as the rear motor needs to run in reverse.

It all depends on what you want to do with it.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

I'll look around and see what I can dig up thanks.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

I hope you find something that works for you

These things are a blast to drive!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Adept

thanks, I hope I find something to. thanks again if you find any other info please feel free to email me at [email protected] thanks again.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

I found some closzilla motors mad by esp, are they good?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Haven't heard anything really bad about 'em, so it's a good start

They're 14 turn motors, so you'll need an ESC that can handle them.

As long as you remember to put the forward rotation motor in the front, and the reverse rotation in the rear, it's all good.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

drperry you aren't 100% correct on all your information. For one neither castle creations or Traxxas makes a 4200kv system so he wont be able to find them. Also putting brushless in that truck will be very hard on parts, add in the weight of dual battery packs and it will become more trouble than it's worth when he needs to start replacing parts.

17 turn motors like said above are what I'd reccomend. They can be had for a decent price and will give the perfect amount of performance to spice up a stock clod. As someone new to clod you'd be best off just running your motors at 0 degrees timing and switching the wires around +/- to reverse rotation.

Edit: you'll also need an esc with a motor limit of 8 turns or above. A good no limit speed control is a super rooster and can be found in used condition for a decent price. Check the b/s/t here or on ebay.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

You're right on one part, there... CC has 4600, not 4200, my bad on that one... I got mixed up with the 1/10th scale and 1/18th scale motor ratings.

But what part of the brushless is going to be hard on the truck? (other than the added weight of the second battery pack)

And when running dual motors, in parallel, the Super Rooster is rated for 15 turn motors at the lowest... Or so the manual says... The Super Duty, however is rated for 10 turn motors in parallel... So the Clodzilla motors will need something a little beefier than a Super Rooster to run them.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by drperry

But what part of the brushless is going to be hard on the truck? (other than the added weight of the second battery pack)

And when running dual motors, in parallel, the Super Rooster is rated for 15 turn motors at the lowest... Or so the manual says... The Super Duty, however is rated for 10 turn motors in parallel... So the Clodzilla motors will need something a little beefier than a Super Rooster to run them.
I think you are getting the Novak Rooster and Novak Super Rooster confused. The Rooster has a 15 turn motor limit, the Super Rooster has no motor limit.

As far as brushless, I would not recomend it. First off I think he is planning on keeping it mostly stock for now. Brushless motors would be a bit much in stock configuration. Any crashes or wrecks with brushless will most likely result in a lot of broken parts that are becoming very hard to find. Second the gear boxes on the Clod are somewhat beefy. The 32 pitch molded gears are fairly durable however if they do get stripped out they are hard to find. Third, the expense for two brushless setups is pretty high up there. Lets say a ESC and brushless motor combo runs $250 each, that's $500 for motors and ESC's. I tried it in my Emaxx when Novak first introduced the SS brushless motors. Two seperate ESC's connected with a Y harness wasn't very cool. Lots of weight, lots of wires, and cogging was rediculous.

I just didn't get the idea that tnralberta was looking for a dual brushless stock Clodbuster beast, that's why I recomended the 17 turns. They are cheap, quick, and won't be too much motor for the truck.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dont slow down
I think you are getting the Novak Rooster and Novak Super Rooster confused. The Rooster has a 15 turn motor limit, the Super Rooster has no motor limit.

As far as brushless, I would not recomend it. First off I think he is planning on keeping it mostly stock for now. Brushless motors would be a bit much in stock configuration. Any crashes or wrecks with brushless will most likely result in a lot of broken parts that are becoming very hard to find. Second the gear boxes on the Clod are somewhat beefy. The 32 pitch molded gears are fairly durable however if they do get stripped out they are hard to find. Third, the expense for two brushless setups is pretty high up there. Lets say a ESC and brushless motor combo runs $250 each, that's $500 for motors and ESC's. I tried it in my Emaxx when Novak first introduced the SS brushless motors. Two seperate ESC's connected with a Y harness wasn't very cool. Lots of weight, lots of wires, and cogging was rediculous.

I just didn't get the idea that tnralberta was looking for a dual brushless stock Clodbuster beast, that's why I recomended the 17 turns. They are cheap, quick, and won't be too much motor for the truck.

The Super Rooster has no single motor limit... But for dual motors in parallel, it's only rated for 15 turn motors.

In my 5 years or so of brushless on my Clod, I've only stripped one spur gear... Full throttle landing on the front axle... I've since learned not to keep it pinned in the air

Though, I am running CVD's and a straight axle rear... So for a bone stock drive train the 17t's would be better suited...

The cogging issue you had with your e-maxx was probably due to the fact the two motors weren't in exactly the same phase... Not as much of an issue in the clod, as the motors aren't driving the same spur gear.

Since Tamiya re-released the Clodbuster, though, parts are a little easier to find... And the body is from the new re-release anyway
Old 02-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Parts are not an issue for the clod buster. Not only has Tamiya made every spare continuously since 1987, the aftermarket support alone could keep the clod alive without tamiya.

The thing brushless would be hard on besides the budget would be the truck overall. As stated above high speed crashes are harsh enough with a well built race clod, and a stock clod would be breaking plastic everywhere.

The super rooster may have a 15turn motor limit on 12 cells or something but I know for a fact they can run down to 9 turns on 8 cells with no problems as I have seen this first hand. 17 turn motors should be no issue.

Do not get a super duty, they are garbage. I cannot tell you how many racers have burned these up under conditions that novak says they should be fine under.

One more thing, I'd reccomend a single battery pack. It will still be plenty fast with 17's and a single pack and the reduced weight will really help durability and capability.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.