LST2

Old 01-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default LST2

I want to race a truggy this year. More than likely I'll go with a GS XUT since I've had great success with GS in the past but I already have a LST2. With a good set of racing tires and properly tuned shocks how race worthy will it be? Keep in mind I'm racing at a local level and just want to race and have fun. But I also want to be competitive, or least not finish the race 5 laps behind the others. Any input you can give me will be great. Thanks, Brett.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

IMO you'd get circled by even smaller MT's like the Tmaxx / Revo or even the MGT3.0.

The LST2 is just SO DAMN BIG
Old 01-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Tech Addict

Default Monster

It is a monster. That's why I bought it. To bash at construction sights and stuff. I know it would be clumsy on the track, I just don't know how clumsy. We don't have a whole lot of entrys in the truggy class here and the ones that race are full-size 1/8 scale truggies. I have a spare set of wheels so I may try it just for the hell of it. It'll be entertaining at the least.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

just run over them
Old 01-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Tech Addict

Default Ooops!

That's probably what would happen. Oh well, who wants to be popular anyway? I bet with that kind of racing and sportsmanship I'd have sponsors lined up! I am going to try it once though, just to see how it performs.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR View Post
IMO you'd get circled by even smaller MT's like the Tmaxx / Revo or even the MGT3.0.

The LST2 is just SO DAMN BIG
Internet: Home of incorrect information based solely on inexperienced opinion...

The LST2 is extremely race worthy. Ive owned every race monster truck out there with every available hopup except the crappy Tmaxx and the LST2 is without a doubt the most agile. It accelerates like a buggy and turns on a dime.

If yours is stock:

Keep the stock Mach 427 - its more than enough unless you suddenly become Adam Drake.

Ditch the stock wheels and hubs and get Mugen 17mm extended wheel hubs so you can use normal truggy wheels - then get some LPR 0" offset wheels and some good tires (tire choice depends on your track) - if really loose loam go for bowties if not a bunch of loose stuff get some holeshots.

Do the forward only conversion in the tranny, cheap and easy.

Get the dynamite engine/chassis brace - stock ones break eventually.

Not required but RPM arms add durability and the ability to tune camber.

Ive got two LST2's right now, one nitro and one brushless. The nitro one has muggy shock tower conversion which is awesome.

Muggified Truck:

Electric truck: (before I converted it)

Old 01-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information. Who makes the cf upper plate on yours and those yellow rims? Great looking ride. I actually have the LST but have the full LST2 conversion package, just havn't broke anything yet so I've left it as is. Are the white dish rims in my conversion kit going to be different from what you're talking about? Why the forward only, less rotating mass? Are the muggy shock towers made by Losi?Thanks, Brett.

Last edited by BrettL; 01-16-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Addict

Default Reverse

I added that forward only question because I plan to swap monster truck tires and shell back on when I want to go bashing at construction sites or wherever. Reverse is nice to have then. I remember my first nitro, Kyosho USA-1 Nitro, only I put the Gravedigger body on it. For that matter, I still run it from time to time and have another kit NIB. Not having reverse meant more walking back then. Thanks again, Brett.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrettL View Post
Thanks for the information. Who makes the cf upper plate on yours and those yellow rims? Great looking ride. I actually have the LST but have the full LST2 conversion package, just havn't broke anything yet so I've left it as is. Are the white dish rims in my conversion kit going to be different from what you're talking about? Why the forward only, less rotating mass? Are the muggy shock towers made by Losi?Thanks, Brett.
Many companies make the carbon fiber plate, the one on mine is custom made and thicker.

The yellow rims are GRP with holes drilled in them.

Your white rims in your conversion pkg are the 420 series and the ones I would avoid.

Forward only, yes, less rotating mass. You can also do the "flip gear" mod while doing it and pick up some top end speed. Losi also offers the top speed pinion/spur gears for more top end.

Muggy shock towers are made by losi - stock towers from their muggy. You would also need muggy bottom shock mounts and muggy shock shafts but you could put limiters on your shafts to save a few bucks.

lstforums.com is a great site for LST trucks
Old 01-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Addict

Default Flip Gear?

What is the flip gear mod?Are you reffering to the slow-fast gear selecter switch that comes stock with the truck? I havn't installed the LST2 conversion yet but I hear the switch is better. I hope so because the lock on the LST stock one broke pretty quick and looked half-assed to start with.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mach51 View Post
Internet: Home of incorrect information based solely on inexperienced opinion...

The LST2 is extremely race worthy. Ive owned every race monster truck out there with every available hopup except the crappy Tmaxx and the LST2 is without a doubt the most agile. It accelerates like a buggy and turns on a dime.
The internet, the home of people with egos and 'knowledge' only backed by their wallet
Old 01-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

im with mach51 i had great sucess with my lst2 including races in the RC pro series and a big event called the rcx games which was in dec issue of xrc mag the gear swap is when you do the F.O.C. you swap the main gears from input and out put i basically have the same set up as mach51 if you already have a lst2 add $150 to it and you can run with truggies... my lap times arent that much slower with my lst VS. my st-rr that i just got heres my 2008 sucsess with the lst2 or what other ppl call a heavy clumsy POS i just say bring on the revos
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails LST2-trophies.jpg  
Old 01-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Addict

Default LST2

WOW! Contrats on your races successes. Sounds like you should be driving for Losi, or maybe you are already.Yes, even though I havn't added it, I do have the full LST2 conversion kit for my LST. You mentioned $150. Are you talking about all the same mods to it that mach51 talked about. Anything else you would add? I'd like to get into the RC Pro Series myself. Don't know which region Kansas is in, midwest I would guess. Which state do you race from, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks Brent, Brett.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brentmorl View Post
im with mach51 i had great sucess with my lst2 including races in the RC pro series and a big event called the rcx games which was in dec issue of xrc mag the gear swap is when you do the F.O.C. you swap the main gears from input and out put i basically have the same set up as mach51 if you already have a lst2 add $150 to it and you can run with truggies... my lap times arent that much slower with my lst VS. my st-rr that i just got heres my 2008 sucsess with the lst2 or what other ppl call a heavy clumsy POS i just say bring on the revos
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
What race did you win to get the ginger bread house Brent??? my Revo PE is hungry.. Kevin
Old 01-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR View Post
The internet, the home of people with egos and 'knowledge' only backed by their wallet

Yet again you show us why you have no idea what you are talking about.

It is really inexpensive to make a stock lst2 into a competitive racer.

tires (which revos and tmaxxes need as well)

foward only conv is inexpensive as well as the engine brace.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.