Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
What is a good monster truck for bashing? >

What is a good monster truck for bashing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is a good monster truck for bashing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cobia5
Savage and LST2 are the best bashers, without question. I prefer teh LST2 for the agility and stability. The Savage is spongy and weak in the turns, although can catch some serious air, and is prone to roll over (the wheelbase is not wide enough fo the top heavy frame). The LST2 is much better in turns (wider stance), and also able to catch serious air time. I just have more fun driving the LST2, than a Savage.

Bottom line:
Best on a track - LST2
Best in the air, monster jumps - Tie (both)
Most fun overall (presonal preference) - LST2
Most economical - Savage

Either choice will be a good one, because they are both great trucks.

Also, the latest version of the Savage is a good improvement over the previous versions.
also the savage is cheaper and most LHS carry hpi.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

savage
Old 09-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Savage is the way to go for bashing. Only thing that goes are spur gears.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

even more, spurs dont go that much if you have the slipper set right.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:09 AM
sac
Tech Regular

Add the Team Associated trucks to the list.They are tough and parts are easy to find.

MGT 4.6-great all around truck put it up against t-maxx
and savage all day.

MGT 8.0- for the person who just wants power

MMGT3.0-the most underated monster truck on the market
easily on par with the t-maxx's

just my opinion
sac
Old 09-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I have loved every LST2 I have owned.

Go with you have parts support for.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

its a toss up between the revo and savage
Old 09-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Not in this particular order accept for the fact that the savage is numero uno.

Savage x with lst2 shocks and tires/wheels. We've been thrashing HARD on this setup for about a year now (triple backflips!) and the only thing we've broken is dogbones and the crankshaft in a mach 28. Twisted it right in half just this week! Absolutely indestructible truck though! Handles great too. You'd have to machine your own hexes to make the wheels fit though. Ours is a one off deal. Any savage is a good basher though.

The lst2 is great for racing out of the box and the radio is really good for a rtr. Nicely programmable. I use the xs3 for everything around here that doesn't fly. The lst2 handles awesome and it's reasonably fast. It's not what I'd call a great basher though. Like Renaissance man said, Jennys does have a lot of parts. We've bought 4 complete chassis from them for 99 cents each. Had to, cuz the lst2 couldn't take the abuse till we came up with some improvements to the chassis plate system. Been great since then, but you'd need a machine shop to do what we did. I have seen aluminum side rails for them on the net. They would probably help a lot. The fact that we've got an adam drake trinity 30 in it keeps it really interesting. But the stock mach 427 is a great motor for it's (smallish by todays MT standards) size.

Stay far away from Duratrax!!! They're sellin them cheap for a reason. The bright side is, without EXTREME mods to the motor we weren't able to get the thing to move fast enough to break anything. But once we modded the snot out of the super tigre .27 (and i mean the SNOT!!! stuff you haven't heard of yet), we broke every part on the truck. No literally. I'm serious. I have nothing good whatsoever to say about this truck.

The revo is similar to the lst2 in that it's a good racer right out of the box. It's a little on the delicate side but that's kinda one thing I like about it. It's sophisticated! On the track, it feels just ever so slightly light for my driving style but everyone else seems to like them. The connecting rods on the TRX engines are notorious for letting go at the wristpin (2.5 and 3.3). It might partly be because those engines spin so freaking fast and it's hard to keep your finger out of it, but the rods are built really thin on the top end. I'd be satisfied just keeping it on the shelf and looking at it.

T-maxx, with some rpm upgrade stuff and a change of rubber they're ok. Same rod issues as the revo of course. Short wheelbase.

So far, thats the extent of the monsters around here. We just received a savage xl yesterday and so far it's just as awesome as any other savage. It's exactly the same truck accept for the longer tvps, longer rear drive shaft, hub extensions, and of course the 5.9. (there are a handful of other differences) The 5.9 really pushes it around very well. I'd like to get my hands one of the associated mgt 8.0s. Ive been curious about the mgt since they first came out.

local parts support is really important like suna said.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Tech Rookie

I know this reply is coming in pretty late, but I would say out of the box the Savage is the best bashing truck. I used to be the mechanic at a local hobby shop and have been lucky enough to either own or play with almost all the Monster Trucks out there. I have owned up to 13 Savages at one time and all have done great. I have proved the Savage as the best bashing truck to many customers when they were looking to purchase one for the first time.

This is my opinion, but I do have a lot of experience.

Hope this helps you in finding the answer.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

i have a savage 25 with some savage x parts, 120,000 weight diff oil, 35 wt shock oil, tmaxx rims and tires, chrome dogbones etc and dropped in an sts .28 engine from hong kong a couple of months ago, havent been able to run it yet though. a buddy of mine has a savage x with the sts .30 in it, extended chassis,,7'' rubber, and he loves it.

i say savage.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Like is the general theme with the responses I go with the Savage as well, this from LOTS of experience with the MTs. As long as your LHS has a half decent parts supply you would have to try real hard to put that thing down for any length of time.

The MGT 4.6 would be a safe bet if you want to go with what your LHS readily stocks. Nothing dramatic or spectacular, but enjoyable and takes a good beating.

Tmaxx 3.3 is fun, huge improvements over the years to what IMO was a horrendously put together product quality wise. Not sure how much so since I haven;t spent that much time with the latest gen, but the day or two I did they were flawless if a bit wheely friendly when I really wanted them to go.