Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steering problem with 3.3. Revo

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Adept

Default Steering problem with 3.3. Revo

Ok I have a problem here that is seriously about to drive me to drink aka ITS MAKING ME CRAZY!!! basically; its that all the sudden whenever I turn my radio on(spektrum dx 3.0); and try to turn the wheels left or right, it seems as if something is binding on the bellcranks, or other part of the steering. However, when I completely take the steering cranks/rods off the part that moves left and right, and try and use my transmitter and turn the steering wheel left and right, both steering servos move freely(no binding at all) however, when i then put the steering crank rod ends back in place; something is causing it to bind up. Now I have tried removing the cranks, loosening the pivot balls a bit and even loosening the pivot ball caps a bit thinking they were binding against the pivot balls, but that appears not to be the case... Can someone PLEASE!!! for the life of me help me solve this one; cause in a moment Im about to take this revo and toss it out this 2nd floor window!!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey bro... have you tried new servos? and are they the stock ones?? if so then you need to replace them bad boys that would be the cause if it most likely.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

Well the thing is; both steering servos work perfectly fine; they both go to their travel "limits" on both ends when the steering cranks are out of the holding piece that moves back and forth, however like i said before; when I put the cranks back in place; it starts binding again....and yes they are both the stock steering servos...
Old 03-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Addict

stock traxxas servos do not last long at all. that is more and likely your problem. yes they will turn lock to lock with you any pressure on them all servos will, but with the abuse that they go through they dont last long. plus another reason could be that you need to get a new battery pack. after charging som many time it could just be losing its charge, even after sitting for a day or so... but i would definitly upgrade them sterring servos to some titanium gear high torque servos. amain hobbies sells them. made by ACE.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Tech Adept

Actually, I know for a fact its not my receiver battery pack. Well if the stock steering servos arent any good any more, then why would they go "end to end" when the steering rods/cranks are removed from the "input" shaft that the rods connect to, but bind up when re-connected to that same input shaft??
Old 03-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 85 (98%+)

Check all electrical connections. Make sure the servos are moving in the right directions and not going towards or away from each other.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Tech Addict

bad servos will still work just not as efficiantly. the motor inside could is wore out, so when under pressure they wont work. it could also be like the guy above me said that they might be working in different directions since there are two steering servos. check those connections one could be backwards. but still my opinion and alot of others will tell you to ditch those stock servos and get better ones. if you want your truck to run as nice as it looks then it would be a good investment...thats my theory.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trust me, if i had unlimited financial resources, I would gladly ditch the stock servos and get better ones; but that is definately not gonna happen anytime soon as I am what I would like to call "cash strapped"; and until I get a better handle on financial stuff, well I will have to deal with what I have now....and as it turns out I took the truck to a guy at a local h.s. who has been in the hobby for 25 years, and he seems to think my pivot balls are too tight because he had the same thing happen to him; his steering was binding on him also when he put the anodized pivot balls in which is exactly the same thing I did and thats when the problem seemed to pop up.....so I think im just gonna have to mess with the pivot balls a bit till I hopefully find the right spot
Old 03-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

believe me bro i know exactly what you mean about having no cash. try putting 3 in 1 oil on the pivot balls while it is all connected up to the servos, try turning them lock to lock while putting alittle bit of oil on them. just remember(you probably know this already) but dont put the death grip on those screws for the pivot balls. that also binds them up alittle. hope ot all works for you.

Good luck
Old 03-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Tech Adept

Well; I loosened the pivot balls, and took out the spacers I had in there and now it seems a little better; but still seems to bind a little bit; so now the ? that comes to mind is in what direction should I head in from this point??
Old 03-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Addict

check the steering knucks that the tire itself pivot on. have they been lubed up any since you have had it?? there are end caps on those knucks so you can adjust then make sure those dont have a death grip on them they should be loose enough for you to be able to turn the wheel back and forth freely with your hand. if you have done all that them i would have to go with new servos would be the next best thing to do bro.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Tech Adept

Well as for the new servos thing; I know the servos arent bad because me and one of the local h.s. guys took the linkage off to test them and they were turning freely. But I will check on the caps thing and see what i can come up with if anything at all...
Old 03-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Tech Addict

im not trying to get into and arguement about the servos here but bad servos will still turn freely(when there is nothing hooked up to them). you find out there bad when you hook them up to something and they cant turn them. im just trying to give you some helpful advise i know you said you dont have the cash for new ones and that why im trying to help you out here. but if worse comes to worse and the servos are bad then they will haev to be replaced. just trying to save you the trouble in the long run. and there will be other that think the same about stock servos. but ultimatly its your choice, and thats cool. just trying to help you out bro.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Yes i know u are trying to help out and I do appreciate it; Trust me, it has not gone un-noticed. Well I will keep those ideas about the servos still possibly being bad in mind but im not ruling anything completely out as of yet
Old 03-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

take the big allen wrench that came with your kit and loosen your pillowball retainers and see if that helps. If those are too tight, you will lose your steering, especially with the 2055 servos. Those should be one of the first things upgraded (what I think diesledog was getting at). The 2055 is ok for a throttle servo (mildly ok), but you really need a servo with over 160 oz of torque to adequately steer the Revo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.